Cyberpunk 2077 - Witcher 2 devs

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Philll, May 30, 2012.

1. lithos

lithos Member

And I'm pretty sure Zack wouldn't nuke three-quarters of a million people, and cause the deaths of hundreds of thousands more via radiation poisoning and cancer, just to own teh corpos for...reasons.*

This game is, very much, a Far Cry clone, right down to the "It's mature 'cause everyone's an arsehole" misguided interpretation of "maturity" that Ubi loves.

I'm playing Witcher 3 again, to get the taste out of my mouth, and it's utterly amazing that this is, supposedly, by the same devs. Witcher 3 had side missions that were infinitely more complex and well-written than this game's main mission, with genuine thought and care, resulting in deep, morally complex stories - even if the quest was only three minutes' long. In Novigrad, for example, you can save an Elven woman who's being racially harassed by two human men. There's racism there, but also, it's pointed out, she's probably lying about why she's there, too. Step in to chase off the men, and instead of thanking you, she berates you, and she's got a point: Geralt won't be there to save her every time, and he's just made things worse for her by meddling, because now they'll be back to take out the embarrassment Geralt caused them on her tomorrow.

That's not even a marked quest, and it barely lasts a full minute. Yet it makes you think about your actions and choices far more than anything in CP.

The bugs are the best thing to happen to this game. They're the greatest thing CDPR could ever hope for, because they're successfully distracting EVERYONE away from how lacklustre the actual game is. The T-posing is an easy fix. Actually making it a deep and complex game is not.

*NOTE: "Reasons" never fully explained.

metamorphosis likes this.
  2. Frag

Frag Member

Fair enough, we are all built different. I had no issues, I liked the fact that I had real emotions towards his character which changed as the game progressed.

Again, felt that this was perfectly in line with the story.
    Not sure how you'd wake up after 50 years being stuck in another mind,
    Anyway we're all different, it goes to show that the usual psychological personaility profile split is valid. From the 4 broad personality profiles, you will get on with 2 well, tolerate 1 and dislike the other. So yeah can't keep everyone happy.

Did you read any Cyberpunk books? or any Grimdark fantasies (say by Joe Abercrombie?) - reason I ask is that this character path is really quite commonplace, you go from disliking a character to being very attached. I mean heck some of my favorite chaacters out of Joe's boosk are sadistical cold hearted killers... yet as much as I want to dislike them I cant :)

I thought the reasons were pretty well covered... Also I was very happy that there was very little of all this faux care bear racial stuff and they stuck to the story. Again, I wonder how many detractors actually ever liked Cyberpunk novels as this is pretty much the way all the prolific novels went.

Let me put it this way, watch a Western you know what you will get. Almost every western is built the same way.. Now this is not a bad thing, its a tried and tested formula. Bad men do something to your or loved one, you enbark on a vendetta, bad men are killed.

Cyberpunk novels are typically megacorps vs little people, its a techie version of a western.

Again I am glad that they stuck to the core story and presented flawed characters that we have real emotions to whether positive or negative. I don't need a game to give me this new age Political Correctness lesson, and as soon as I get games that try and do that I stop playing them

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  3. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Oh I got the same thing last night during the quest where we first get to meet Alt in cyberspace. The short concert scene with the music just started to loop. I quit it right after the scene. Got stupidly annoying. Hopefully when I get back into the game later tonight it won't just keep going.

mesaoz likes this.
  4. power

power Member

have you guys tried just quitting the game and reloading if that happens, sounds annoying as fuck.

5. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Yeah I did as soon I realised the same 5 seconds (I kid you not) of guitar solo was just looping, it persisted. I just musted the game until the end of that sequence and it went away after that

Haha so it wasn't just me. Quitting didn't help for me. The sequence is too long thankfully.

That reminds me, first thing I did when I got released from the animus thing was cut that fucking mole and all her lackies in half with the monowire, so satisfying.

This game is full of so many shit eating characters man

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  6. Frag

Frag Member

I've had a couple sound bugs, reloading always fixed them.

Most annying one is if a item spec screen overlay stays on. again reload fixes it but probably the most annying thing I've faced.. apart from that rare insta deaths when running around like mirrors edge

FuzwaldQO likes this.
  7. DivHunter

DivHunter Member

I'm waiting for major patches then I will start my game over.

8. Dingostolemyghz

Dingostolemyghz Member

I find that Johnny hides behind his cause/ideals of anti-corpo liberator of the people, but his actions are always impulsive and selfish, never really about the cause. He's a total asshole but he does seem to react to player choices and general circumstances at least a little bit. I don't hate how they've done him, but could've made the character and interactions a lot more interesting and meaningful. Would've been nice to use the red/blue pills manually for the whole game, completely redefining the johnny experience based on player choices.

Just about every other character post-prologue is so annoyingly one-dimensional, hyper-fixated on just one thing and mostly ignoring what's happening around them. I guess that makes it easier to tie the parallel main quests and major side quests together, when nothing you do actually makes a difference.

9. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

I haven't. I'm generally a fan of antiheroes and redemption arcs though. Riddick for instance (despite being shallow outside the game IMO) or the two leads from young offenders. They're obnoxious stupid criminals but they have redeeming qualities.

10. Trizae

Trizae Member

Too much heated discussion in here keep calm and slav squat

I'm enjoying it thoroughly just finished and romanced panam (Such a great storyline) and been doing alot of the side content than the main quest just hit 65:03 hrs:)

11. lithos

lithos Member

Well, as someone who went through a literary degree in uni covering, mostly, William Gibson (he's a helluva prose writer)...

...CP2077 completely misses the point. Gibson himself has been throwing shade at the game on Twitter, and he invented the fucking genre. People like Pondsmith are the reason he got out of writing cyberpunk, or at least a big part of the reason - edgelords who just took a cursory glance over the genre and didn't pick up the themes of postcolonialism, neoliberalist expansionism, and the loss of identity in a hyper-networked, over-populated world, what it means to be human, and instead just saw "HOLY SHIT I CAN GET A 14" CYBERDICK AND USE IT TO FUCK A 6-BOOBED HOOKER WHOSE NIPPLES SQUIRT PCP!!!11!!1"

Pondsmith, by the way, claims he never read Neuromancer when he created the TTRPG...

...despite the fact that he called the city "Night City". And had a Haitian hacking gang called "The Voodoo Boys". Yeah. Right. Never read Gibson. Pfft.

Cyberpunk has nothing in common with Westerns, and more in common with noir. It's nothing like Westerns; Neuromancer is, could, quite clearly, be a Chandler or Hammett story, with people offer a job that's relatively straightforward on the surface but is increasingly complex, drawing them into a larger scheme wrought by powerful people far above the protagonists. Noir is one of the big inspirations Gibson drew from.

No one rides off into the sunset. The protagonist isn't dressed in white; the antagonist isn't in a black hat. There's no happy ending.

One thing that becomes increasingly clear is that there's no room for characters like Henry Dorsett Case, for the Finn, or even Molly Millions. Armitage would've been someone Regina asked you to incapacitate as part of her incredibly generic side quests. Case would be a joke among netrunners, as would Molly among mercs, because they've got character traits beyond "BE THE EDGIEST, MOST BADASS OF BADASS EDGELORDS" which is the only character trait in CP2077. Any maturity, humanity, insecurity, vulnerability, anyone not hustling to the top 24/7, is dead meat in Edgelord- sorry, Night City.

The Straylight Run wasn't a run to "take down" Tessier-Ashpool. It was just part of the job to free Wintermute. It wasn't political grandstanding against corporations; it was just the only way they could fuse Wintermute and Neuromancer. It wasn't taking down a robber baron or a cattle king on the plains, for the righteous benefit of innocent, humble townsfolk.

There's no "vendetta", no little boy shouting "COME BACK, SHAAAAAAAANE!!!!" at the end. It was realising they were used, for ends they don't quite know or understand.

12. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Did you also walk around the camp completely naked during the final scene? Also that tank needs to be deep cleaned after lol :lol:

Trizae likes this.
  13. Trizae

Trizae Member

How the f*ck did you know!? :Paranoid: I was pissfarting around for a good 20 minutes till I spoke with mitch & them and there was a mirror on the side c*ck out and everything :lol:

14. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Yup it wasn't until the mirror that I realised I was stark naked too hahahahahahh :lol:

Trizae likes this.
  15. ndt

ndt Member

Thought his reasons were because of Alt? like he was anti-corp but then what happened pushed him over the edge?

16. Frag

Frag Member

Hah, well I'm obviously not going to argue with you on this topic! I can say though that boiled down I do think that without reading 10 layers deep cyberpunk noves follow a simple arc. I have did a comp sci degree started the mid 90's so my interest of the cyberpunk genre was from a different angle and perhaps thats why I have different takeaway interpretation.

As for Gibson not liking cyberpunk to my knowledge he had cries about the version he saw glimpses of when they started sharing early builds.. basically he said it wasnt in line with his vision, I am unsure whether he has played any version or if there has been a recent twitter exchange. I haven't read Gibson for ages, keep meaning to go back and re-read all his early works as an "adult"

17. Trizae

Trizae Member

18. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Why is this ridiculous drama and news spam still a thing? Acting like it's the first AAA title that needed polish.

The only thing they seriously fucked up was trying to make it to run on old gen consoles. Especially considering how poorly TW3 ran and how much difficulty they had improving it's performance. I'm inclined to think it was pressure by Sony and MS rather than the execs desire to make a potato version of the game. Sony just blames CDPR who is already under fire and they're golden.

FuzwaldQO likes this.
  19. power

power Member

it's called feeding the algorithm.

20. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Who else would they blame? Sony didn't make the game and Sony didn't deliberately hide the state of the console version from consumers until after release. CDPR made their own bed with a long series of poor decisions and now they're laying in it.

I genuinely hope to be nominating this for a "most improved" or "labour of love" award at the end of the year during the steam awards. We will see...

Trizae and power like this.