Cyberpunk 2077 - Witcher 2 devs

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Philll, May 30, 2012.

1. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

You kinda missed my point. If the only reason they attempted to make it run on last gen consoles was pressure from Sony and/or MS, perhaps along the lines of "do you want PS5 devkits? make it run on PS4" then you blame Sony, not CDPR.

2. power

power Member

ahh no

no, just no. and then some more no.

Drizz06 likes this.
  3. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Seems far more plausible than an entire studio suddenly forgetting they were barely able to get TW3 running on consoles and deciding that CP2077 will be fine. Do you honestly believe there are no shady deals going on with MS and Sony?

4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

The over promising is hilarious and when you hear the comments, cringe worthy even: Next level? Walking the streets of the future? Breathtaking? Has the potential to be very very special? This is the real deal? They really know what they are doing? :lol:

Trizae likes this.
  5. Urbansprawl

Urbansprawl Member

The schreier article says they were not able to get dev kits at home during COVID so quite possibly only a small handful of people knew how bad it was.

6. Trizae

Trizae Member

They definitely specc’d +50 into lies :lol:

MR CHILLED likes this.
  7. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Seems like you've just discovered advertising spiel?

I'm not defending CDPR. The game needed probably 3 months more minimum on PC to be polished and probably 6+ on last gen consoles if it was ever possible. However I've put over 100hrs into it and it's very good for the most part. The stories, especially some of the side missions, aren't as interesting or compelling as TW3 but there are still quite a few above average arcs IMO. All the serious bugs were gone for me by 1.05 and now it's just dumb AI slightly ruining the atmosphere sometimes.

Still found TW3, Skyrim, RDR2 (console and PC) buggier. Particularly game breaking bugs.

8. power

power Member

yes i don't believe there would have been "shady deals" - seriously dude, wtf. The PS4 and XB1 install base is fucking massive. The audience is positively gargantuan of course CDPR wanted CP2077 on consoles.

you are so off in fantasy land it's not funny.

9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Their marketing was certainly next level if anything. Can't believe they snagged Keanu :wired:

Trizae likes this.
  10. Trizae

Trizae Member

lol dude breathe I find it hilarious you can keep that energy and bootlicking to you and yours

mesaoz likes this.
  11. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Should have saved some money and had an equal performance by replacing Keanu with a wooden board, and then use those savings to hire more QA Testers

Trizae likes this.
  12. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

I reckon Keanu was fine, the problem was the wildly inconsistent characterisation and writing they gave Silverhand. Some missions JS & V are acting like top mates, then do another mission and he's calling her a **** and V's is telling him to fuck off. It's like they couldn't be bothered finding a way to run things based on overall progression and instead they just wrote each mission on it's own. Wouldn't surprise me considering only one mission has branching options and the rest are all linear until you get to the Endingtron 3000 choice.

DangerMaus likes this.
  13. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

OK Lets mark CDPR down for 1 act of complete fuckery Vs Sony's 10-15. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2021
  14. power

power Member

PS4 is at over 100 million units.

CDPR knows how many copies of TW3 they sold TO PS4 owners - they sure as shit want a version of this game ON that machine. Last count was 10 million units. If they had played their cards right - and lets' not forget the tail that a lot of games have, they could easily still be looking at replicating those numbers.

15. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Wasn't it supposed to be out long before next gen . Aka now current gen consoles were available? (Even after several delays for that matter)

16. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

I guess it was about a year behind? Still doesn't explain how a seemingly competent studio with extensive prior knowledge of issues with console performance in their engine would be totally clueless or inept enough to not see those same issues cropping up with a more demanding title.

And they just forgot the drops to 20fps they had to deal with and all agreed it would be fine when the level was significantly bigger and streaming demands were far higher?

17. power

power Member

in reference to your original Sony/Microsoft conspiracy theory i don't understand what this has to do with anything.

18. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

I just feel like there is something else going on. They were completely aware the consoles struggled to run their previous game and also completely aware the new game would be more demanding.

19. power

power Member

CDPR wanted to sell a game. end of story.

20. lithos

lithos Member

Yeah. They wrote a linear plot, but didn't figure out how to integrate it into open-world, nonlinear gameplay. You could do a main mission and earn some respect from him, but then do a side mission and he'd chew you out and bitch about being stuck in the head of an idiot. Hence why the red/blue pills aren't really a thing unless the game makes you use them.

Let's be honest: he's Osama bin Laden, with a less clear ideology. He nuked 3/4 of a million people because...edgelord, I guess.

And that's the wider problem with the source material. CP20xx was born in Reagan's America, and is definitely a product of a time that's severely outmode today. It's cringeworthy. Having a character who blows up an office tower in a post-9/11 world is kinda on the nose; having him portrayed as at best a mate, and at worst misunderstood is a bit naff.

As you say, every one in the game is one dimensional, and about halfway through the game I started get really, really, really fuckin' tired of it. Everyone, from the smallest child to the biggest fixer, is an edgelord street hustler who Is Very Badass and has to swing their dick, and are YOU, Dingo, badass enough to work for them?

Every. Single. Character.

It's like playing a game that designed by That Guy from the Futurama ep:

[​IMG]

It's a shallow, superficial setting, and not really worth exploring more.