Cyberpunk 2077 - Witcher 2 devs

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Philll, May 30, 2012.

1. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

I hope it's like bladerunner

2. power

power Member

This rumour is all over the place atm, we may be seeing this late 2016 rather than 2017 - but knowing CDPR they'll delay it (and I won't care if they delay for the right reasons).

Cyberpunk 2077 potentially, possibly, maybe out 2016

3. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

I wouldn't have any issue with any developer delaying the release if the reason was to get it working right.

You only have to look at the steaming shitpile that came as a result of Batman Arkham Knight on PC and the incredible negativity that resulted in the turd that was delivered for the PC. It resulted in always negative association to any review that came out about the game. No writer could write a review without referring to the pulled PC release. The negativity and finally when the game was fixed, patched and re-released it was such a non-event in the games press.

I love Cyberpunk and irrespective of whether this comes out in 2016 or 2017 it won't matter to me as I'll have it as part of my games library.

4. soulblade64

soulblade64 Member

Most of the time this sort of thing is caused by outsourcing. There's not many multi-platform AAA games I can think of that were all developed in house on the various platforms that had one platform perform worse than others... Happy to be proven wrong though.

5. power

power Member

In Arkham Knight's case this was the case, referring specifically to this game we have CDPR - who are a PC first dev, I have all of the confidences that they will do this game right.

6. soulblade64

soulblade64 Member

I fully get that, but my point still stands... There aren't many in-house multi-platform devs who fuck up their games hard on a single platform (usually PC)...

You can't fairly compare CDPR to the Arkham Knight PC devs when the PC devs were an outsourced team of 12 as an afterthought. From what I remember of the launch the game itself ran really well on consoles.

The only dev who royally fuck up multiplatform releases are Ubisoft Montreal with Assassin's Creed Unity (and to a lesser extent all the other ones), but then is anyone surprised when it comes down to quantity over quality?

7. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

Irrespective of whether the development was outsourced or not, the name of the game and by association, the developer is utterly tarnished because of it.

The developers should be smart enough to realise that their reputation in game development is way more important than to release half baked hunks of crap. If CDPR says they wish to delay Cyberpunk for a year to get it right, I'm all for it. I'd rather wait longer to get a complete game than to get unplayable junk at a arbitrary drop-dead date determined by a person or a committee.

8. kreegor

kreegor Member

9. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

Honestly who really cares.

1) it's old and mostly not representative of the current iteration of the game
    2) there may be some spoilers
    3) the game is due for release any time between 2017 to 2021
    4) by the time you read it and potentially spoil yourself with the story of the game, by the time the game gets into your hands you're likely to have forgotten some of the still-present context which you might have spoiled on yourself

I think CDPR did the right thing, especially so since what was threatened is pretty hollow content.

10. chook

chook Member

There has already been a suggestion in the press that it could be a PR stunt and that was my first thought too. I grew up playing the pen and paper Cyberpunk RPG and this is the kind of thing that would happen in that kind of world.

Assuming it is for real then I think that what CDPR has done is somewhat devalue the loot that was stolen.

11. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Looks good!
    Lots of world detail from CD PROJEKT RED

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    sebbyreddan likes this.
  12. chook

chook Member

I am unsure how I feel about the new trailer. There were things I liked such as the way it showed elements of daily life but I felt that it was missing something. Not quite sure exactly what that something was but it didn't 'feel' like Cyberpunk.

My main concern is that I have internally hyped it too far and nothing will now live up to my expectations...

13. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

I want this game like....now!

14. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Zero surprises that this looks amazing. It's been a long wait, but given the pedigree of the team behind it, this can only be a good thing.

15. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

My initial impression is that it's not dark or dystopian enough. There were some glimpses of it but other parts brought GTA: Cyberpunk to mind. Hopefully we'll see some gameplay soon.

16. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

The problem is similar to fo76, we don't know exactly what it is, but it has potential.
    I saw some gen2 synths in the taxi.

17. ADV

ADV Member

Here's hoping the in-game footage is more noir and less neon.

DangerMaus likes this.
  18. chook

chook Member

I felt that is was lacking some of the signature elements of Cyberpunk that we got in the 2013 trailer; total body replacement (Full Conversion - because sometimes meat just can't cut it!), cyber-psychosis and the NCPD PsychoSquad plus the social aspects where the PsychoSquad recruits from the cyber-psychos that they hunt.

What I really liked was the casual attitude towards violence that you saw at not only the street level but everywhere plus the scene with the child in his lounge room.

As I said before, my main concern is that my expectations are too high having not only grown up playing Cyberpunk 2020 but also still playing it today. Given that CDPR not only raised the bar with W3 but also have Mike Pondsmith (the author of Cyberpunk 2020) involved this probably hasn't helped.

19. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Why not both?

Game worlds are huge. I'm sure there's room for Noir and Neon regions to co-exist in the world, just like dark and light places co-exist in reality.

Witcher 3 had fun filled brothels, lively cities, dank swamps and dimly lit dungeons. It had fast combat, and it had Gwent. Diversity is fun.

yaphax likes this.
  20. proffesso

proffesso Member

looks interesting, however it does just look like GTA set in a cyberpunk world. hopefully it'll be more than that.