Cyberpunk 2077 - Witcher 2 devs

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Philll, May 30, 2012.

1. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

They are disparate styles that shouldn't be combined.

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Who said "combining"? If Witcher 3 is any indication of what these developers are capable of (and it is), this game will be enormous. These things can co-exist on different sides of the game world, just like most large-map games have vastly different areas.

2SHY, whatdoesthisdo and connico like this.
  3. chook

chook Member

They can be combined. Go back and re-read your Neo Tribes sourcebook or the fourth issue of Interface to see what I am talking about.

4. havabeer

havabeer Member

yep i got this feeling as well.

hopefully it'll still be a great game. the devs don't seem like the type of people to just spit out a turd of a game.

that car looked pretty bad ass

5. Ospi

Ospi Member

If it plays more like Witcher 3 than GTA then it'll be a real winner, if it plays like the latter though I'll be disappointed, but we'll see. I have faith in these devs more than more.

6. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

This is without question GTA6 dressed in drag(thanks to slow moving rockstar), and it's probably the worst advertised AAA in living memory.

7. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

So you're saying one part of the world could be black and white with moody cinematic visuals and another part could be full colour bright neon flashy shit and it wouldn't detract from the overall aesthetic or immersion? Or are we talking about a blue tint over classic noir?

8. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

How about gta4s classic yelloid turd tint

9. chook

chook Member

No I am saying that the Cyberpunk 2020 game is not just Night City. Go and read Neo Tribes, The Chrome Berets, Pacific Rim Sourcebook, Near Oribt, The Bonin Horse or EuroSource. These sourcebooks for Cyberpunk will show you exactly what I am talking about.

To quote Eric Draven, 'It can't rain all the time.'

elvis likes this.
  10. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

I'm not talking about Cyberpunk lore, maybe I confused the topic early on. I was talking about visual style and atmosphere. For me this is too garish to fit a cyberpunk aesthetic, which is part of the reason why I made the GTA: Cyberpunk comment.

Kookooburra likes this.
  11. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Stuff we've seen so far matches the definition of cyberpunk

cyberpunk

1. a genre of science fiction set in a lawless subculture of an oppressive society dominated by computer technology.

or from another dictionary

cyberpunk
    science fiction dealing with future urban societies dominated by computer technology

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  12. chook

chook Member

Fair point and well made. I think that by capitalising cyberpunk that took me into the setting defined by the name as opposed to the more generic mirrorshades cyberpunk genre created by Gibson, Sterling, et al. That and I see this as a logic progression from the RPG given that Maximum Mike (Pondsmith) is involved.

In this case the game is part of the original Cyberpunk 2020 universe created in the late 1980's by Mike Pondsmith who is also developing the game with CDPR. The name of this game is based on that original work which was influenced by the works of Gibson and Sterling. I have nearly all of the first and second edition books for the game and some of the later third edition books. I don't think this game should be looking to match a dictionary definition of cyberpunk but to match the definition created by the setting within which it is based. The three core axioms of the setting have long been defined as:
    • Style over Substance;
    • Attitude is Everything;
    • Live on the Edge.
    The important thing chombattas is that we don't need to slammit on and can all just be chilled. ;)

13. breno

breno Member

In other words, cyberpunk hasn't got styling in its definition... Though it traditionally has.

Anyway, YES! Good to finally see some footage. I do understand why some see GTA : Cyberpunk but I'll wait to see more. Still looks amazing and right down my alley nonetheless.

14. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Yes that was obvious and irrelevant.

I have full confidence that they will create a fantastic world with compelling story, characters and amazing attention to detail. I'll have to wait to play it in regard to combat and gameplay. That doesn't mean I won't end up playing with a GFX filter or mod if I find the visuals detract from the atmosphere or immersion based on my subjective likes and dislikes. Having said that you have to have bright and shiny so the dark and gritty has contrast, especially when they're talking about the seedy side in the trailer. I didn't see much in the way of dark and gritty aside from robocop 2 style street violence though.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  15. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

I. Am. So. Buying. This. Game. Now!

16. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I say again: every large, open-world game has different areas that look different. Who says the very short video we saw was indicative of the entire game? Let those chickens hatch, my friend.

List for me a single open world game where all areas of the game world look the same. I can't think of one.

17. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

You've missed my point entirely.
    Also you can candle an egg before it's hatched ;)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  18. DIRT

DIRT Member

But that is what Cyberpunk PnP always was, chrome and neon flashy trash over rotting concrete and deep dark holes.
    That was kinda the whole thing of the game, style over substance cause the substance sucks arse.

19. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

the mood of the teaser is so different to the E3 reveal so hmmm.....

20. nope

nope Member

after getting blueballed by them for over 5 years its good to hear and finally SEE something.
    Whats the release date? I heard rumors of 2020?

Bertross likes this.