Cyrix M3 600

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by aloysius, Jun 27, 2001.

1. aloysius

aloysius Member

Has anyone else played with the M3 chips. the reason i mention them here is because they are VIA made now. I overclocked one 100Mhz (600 @ 700) and took the heatsink completely off. It ran stable for an hour in Seti and at the end of that hour you could still touch the chip without burning you're finger. it impressed me just a shame the performance isn't reallr there :rolleyes:

2. seaQuest_AMD

seaQuest_AMD Member

Yeah, the VIA Cyrix, now C3 are excellent processors, I would be proud to have one powering a server or an internet box for my folks.

Just VIA need to work on its FPU, get it at least to Celeron/Duron levels to be more competitive (in the gamers market anyway).

But, VIA want rampspeeds, for the market they are targeting, FPU is not a major issue, so VIA are doing things right, but as a gamer, get the FPU fixed :D

3. leperMessiah

leperMessiah Member

Was that a C3 or a cyrix3 that you overclocked and tested?

Would it clock any higher?

4. OP
    OP
    aloysius

aloysius Member

Yeah the chip i had had M3 on it but i think it is called a C3. Its a cool chip. The FPU on it sux a heap of arse but for Apps it roxxors. Alot better than the old IBM Cyrix Chips which took it up the butt a bit

5. Deanodriver

Deanodriver Member

yes, the IBM cyrix chips sucked, i run one in my other system
    for about another 15 hours anyway :p
    it'd be an OK Linux CPU though

Dean

6. Ranchu

Ranchu Member

Hi all,

Could you please give me a little more info on this CPU - I am quite interested.

I am looking to build a small form factor server and I think this CPU has many of the qualities I am looking for.

Do they come with (or require) a heatsink and/or fan? What is their price / performance? Where can I get them from in Oz? Do they run on socket 370 mobos?

Lots of questions I know :)

7. seaQuest_AMD

seaQuest_AMD Member

The newer VIA C3 processor can run without a fan (heatsink is still required), and can work on most Socket 370 motherboards.

Consult www.via.com.tw for more specific information on VIA C3 Compatible motherboards.

8. leperMessiah

leperMessiah Member

On a side note - I just ran a Cyrix233 for about 10 minutes without fan (accident - pulled it off while mucking about with CD_rom cables), black screen - not blue.

Reboot with fan on - mixed up boot screen - random characters everywhere - bugger.

Let cool for hour and right as rain again, just right for my lets try this suspected virus attachment exe and the like.

Actually it comes in quite useful for many reasons.

9. seaQuest_AMD

seaQuest_AMD Member

LOL!

Me and Bionic done a similar thing with a K6/2 a couple years back, but the CPU worked fine afterwards.