D7200 battery drain

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by akromatic, Feb 13, 2019.

1. akromatic

akromatic Member

I got a used D7200 which works fine for the most part however it seems to suffer from excessive battery drain so i'm wondering if there is any solution to that beyond pulling the battery out every time i finish taking a few photos.

Abit more context to the issue:

basically a freshly charged new battery that holds its charge fine outside the camera would basically drain to 0% within 24 hours inside the camera without a single shot taken or even turning it on

resetting the camera(via menus) to default didnt help with the situation.

a few things that I have noticed is that the optical view finder would brighten up and display a bracket when battery is inserted even when the camera is off.

I'm not sure if a firmware update would fix it but im abit reluctant to update firmware due to possible compatibility issues with my 3rd party lens

2. havabeer

havabeer Member

Battery might just be cactus. Especially if its used. I'd try and new battery first up.

3. OP
    OP
    akromatic

akromatic Member

tried new battery. in fact I have tired 5 different batteries including 3 new ones. All behave the same. They will hold charge just fine outside the camera but when inside it just gets drained by the camera.

I think what ever is causing it is to do with the camera.

4. herzeg

herzeg Member

Seek clarification from the seller...

5. OP
    OP
    akromatic

akromatic Member

bought it at cash converter a few months ago.

ether way going back to seller won't fix the issue

6. clonex

clonex Member

genuine Nikon batteries or yum cha specials?

7. OP
    OP
    akromatic

akromatic Member

Both. Issue seems to be with the camera. All battery discharge at the same rate inside and outside the camera.

When outside the camera the battery hold its charge for weeks with minimal discharge.

While inside the camera it would fully drain a battery within 24hours even without the camera turned on.

At the moment I have been pulling the battery out between shots but it is rather inconvenient. I get expected battery life doing this. So I doubt the battery is crap.

8. luke o

luke o Member

Does it get warm? Sounds like it's got connector issues internally, maybe some of the pins out of alignment. Don't know how you'd fix it. I think you are right the batteries are fine it's the camera body at fault.

9. herzeg

herzeg Member

Cashies warranty is 3 months; they can also be accommodating beyond if you press them. Shoulda/coulda/woulda doesn't cut the mustard, but you should have taken it back right away - I'd still try.

10. OP
    OP
    akromatic

akromatic Member

i think it is abit late to press cashies and it also means i need to find another d7200. ideally i just want to know if this is fixable and it seems like a common yet odd issue.

not sure why the optical viewfinder lights up (becomes brighter) and displays the brackets etc even when the camera is off and i think this is the primary source of the battery drain

11. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

Sounds pretty much either like a FW issue, or an electronic-component somewhere leaking current and causing the drain. Most likely the latter. Not an camera expert, but know enough about electronics to take a guess at the cause.

Could you perhaps ask a Nikon service-agent to have a look-see?

If they can’t fix it and you decide to get a new body, message me here and make me an offer, I might take it off your hands and see if I can troubleshoot it.

Cheers,
    Beano

12. OP
    OP
    akromatic

akromatic Member

hmm i might take you up on that offer if i do find another d7200 at a decent price.

well im sure my camera is out of warranty and its not like i have the original proof of purchase for it. would it cost much to have nikon to have a look?

I'm thinking FW might be a possible fix and leakage most definitely can be the cause too. judging that the viewfinder gets brighter when the battery is inserted it might be related to that.

i guess i'd have to risk the FW update to see how it goes. i just dont want my lens to become paperweights.

13. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

Yep, I would try that first, provided you’re ready to get another body should that one brick.....but FW updates usually goes quite well with modern devices ;)

Anyway, just message me here later should you get another one ;) I might take a day or two to answer, as I travel a lot, but i’ll get back to you.

Cheers, good luck!

14. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

PS: Just reading up on your issue, found a reference to a C2 setting in your menu which shouldn’t be set to unlimited, but rather 10sec or 30sec or something such. Also, the following quote from here: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4255818

Worth a try anyway....

15. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

I've seen this a bunch of times, usually related to something inside the camera eating juice; typically a short of some kind. I would defo try the setting mrbean mentioned and if that doesn't work take it to a repair shop.

16. OP
    OP
    akromatic

akromatic Member

my C2 (standby timer) setting is at 4s.

the thing is its not standby being the issue though. it drains when its off ie the switch is flicked to off so i dont think it got anything to do with standby.

i'll do a firmware flash when i have time.

btw any reputable shops in melb that you can recommend?