1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

D850 thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by TheBear21, Jul 28, 2017.

1. DVDHack

DVDHack Member

Thanks for that, it's not a bad price all things considered. The Canadian price is $4400 which is $4450 in AUD, add 10% GST and that's about right. I guess I'm comparing retail price with street price though.

I thought Nikon brought in a no Australia tax policy a few years back. If their RRP is closer to $6k that seems to have gone by the wayside.

I have the 800E so I'll be upgrading, life's too short to hoard cash LOL.

2. Michael H

Michael H Member

It looks s like a fantastic camera. Its specs are better than the Canon 5DIV, time will tell whether real world use matches the specs. I hope they do.

Best of all, Nikon have tried hard to produce the best camera they can at that price point, something Sony has been doing for the last 4 years. It remains a dream with Canon.

3. OP
    OP
    TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

D810 specs were already pretty much better than 5DIV. And I don't think I'd ever pat Sony on the back for well priced cameras. Latest lot are pretty good, but were far more expensive than equivalently specced DSLR's.

4. DVDHack

DVDHack Member

I stick with Nikon, 40 years now, because I still have the first lens I ever bought and it still works on the new cameras. I still use my 75-150/3.5 for travel because it's so light and incredibly sharp, bought that in 1980.

Unfortunately I think this also very much limits new Nikons.

5. Spacenoodle

Spacenoodle Member

6. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

They designed the sensor themselves, manufacturing of the sensor is outsourced. This is actually good news, because some of the best sensors Nikon have ever had in their cameras have been the ones they designed or co-designed rather than using off-the-shelf ones.

7. Michael H

Michael H Member

"...Meanwhile Canon's 6DII has worse dynamic range than the original 6D."

Canon's model for upgraded cameras looks very tired, when Nikon puts out a camera like the D850.

Following Sony & Fuji, Nikon made the best they could, unlike Canon.

Keep it up Nikon, Sony & Fuji.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  8. stevo4

stevo4 Member

The review of the camera done here -
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d850.htm

Shows how well the camera performs across its iso range.

At this stage the price is the only bad thing about this camera.
    With Amazon looking the best go at about $700+ less (body only) than what Australian retailers are stating.

Fortunately, for me, I've picked up an arts/photography scholarship which will fund a big chunk of the price.

Have not pulled the trigger yet...but soon.

Eager to try out the focus bracketing feature this camera has.

9. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

once AU stores start getting stock, and the grip is available i'll be selling some bodies to fund one

10. renagade

renagade Member

ISO button moved to the trigger finger? much more ergonomic, I'd still like to see the front FN buttons have the option to map to change ISO as you can still keep your finger on the shutter button, but moving it off the mode wheel is a step in the right direction.

Anyone wanna buy a D800 :p

11. OP
    OP
    TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

I remapped my red button on my D810 to ISO.

12. renagade

renagade Member

Awesome, didn't know this was possible, I think the D800 needs a firmware update.

13. Chek Chamber

Chek Chamber Member

Im the same, but with Pentax. I have a 50mm F1.4 from 1975 that is my favourite lens. It takes such sharp and beautiful images, I could never part with it. Works equally well on APSC and the FF Pentax K-1.

14. SyN

SyN Member

? Should only limit you from the low end nikon DSLRs
    I have many AF-D lenses an in a similar boat.
    If you got in 1980 then it should be the AI MF version. In which case, you can actually get an adaptor and go Sony or other mirrorless systems and not lose out anything

15. DVDHack

DVDHack Member

The 75-150 is an AI-S lens I think, it’s a manual focus, one touch zoom. If you ever see one, pick it up, they’re very cheap, light and produce beautiful images.

What I was really getting at was that the backward compatibility, while very good for me and I’m sure many others, probably introduces design contraints on nikon when they develop new lenses. Many other brands have changed their mount over time.

I’m very pleased with my D850 especially now my PC-E lenses are fully operational, which they weren’t on the D800E, adjustment was restricted.

16. SyN

SyN Member

On my old D90 its a bit too long and hard to manual focus. Im sure its better on your FX cameras!
    Sigma 50-100 f1.8 would be the DX equivalent :eek:

17. DVDHack

DVDHack Member

I miss proper focusing screens too. It’s a lot harder to focus my Otus 55, the issue isn’t really with the older lenses just any manual focus.

18. SyN

SyN Member

+1, thoroughly enjoyed MF on the old FM2s I have. With no split prism the only time I use MF is in liveview..

19. Chek Chamber

Chek Chamber Member

Focus peaking has been incredibly useful to me when using manual lenses. Also, catch in focus is a great feature, too (if your camera supports it).