1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Daft retro phone

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade Worklogs' started by Daft_Munt, Jan 9, 2022.

1. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Hi All,

I knew I had this phone somewhere and recently found it while cleaning out the shed.The sucker includes a hold box with 2 phones line and another set of bells. I cleaned some possum and rat shit off.

Now getting bad ideas, ATA and a Pi, to get thing running. If I do start with this it will take me a while.

Thoughts or advice?

Attached Files:

adz, Grant, alch and 3 others like this.
  2. Cererus

Cererus Member

Interesting, but before modding it irretrievably might be worth checking what its worth to the olde tyme phone nerds

adz and Daft_Munt like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

I did have that in mind, I did a poor ebay search on Thursday and it didnt seem to be worth much, $500. Build quality is excellent and parts in the microphone and ear piece are incredibly clean (I took the plastic off to clean). I didnt open up the main box, earpiece cable is a frayed at one end. Anyhow, I have boxed it up and put it back in the shed.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
  4. elvis

elvis OCAU's most famous and arrogant know-it-all

What are the chances of making the phone work with no internal modifications?

I'd love to see that sucker working via some POTS-to-VOIP box or something.

Daft_Munt and adicakes like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

That is a bloody good question, thanks for the idea.Stupid idea maybe to use it for some type of intercomm, with minimal modification.

I will probably not sell it, as it belongs in the house (old (circa 1890) terrace that got sewage in the 1920s), pulled out year ago, not that is was working, never tried it on the telstra network. Found some wired connectors with it.

6. OP
    OP
    Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Anyhow looks like it is a BRITISH ERICSSON MAGNETO WALL TELEPHONE. More pix. I might open it up soon.

Attached Files:

elvis likes this.
  7. miicah

miicah Member

Do you know much about phones? How would I get one of those old Telstra rental phones working with a Pi? Just so my kid can press the buttons and maybe "call" people? What kind of voltage did they run off?

Daft_Munt likes this.
  8. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

I have seen somewhere a conversion for the 'newer' phones (rotary dial and dtmf) using an arduino, I think.

Edit: Hmmm, use the magneto in the phone to charge the local battery which will power an arduino. As it was of the era where it was directly connected to an operator and they would patched caller through to the person they were calling, it would require a numeric keypad being tastefully set up on the "note rest" (I have no idea what that would be called, so I made that up), or otherwise hidden and flipped out when needed, to update it to dial a phone number.
    Sounds like quite a juicy challenge there.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
  9. OP
    OP
    Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

As to my knowledge of old phones, not a huge amount. There are pi projects to convert old analogue phones into a working VOIP. Pay phone probably run on a different voltage to the old land lines. Here is one.

I think first off is to open it up and document/photo, then clean it. The lack of a dial makes it a pain, fold out (or number pad) from under the note pad holder. Maybe just use it to answer calls, because who uses a landline phone to call people besides our parents. </hides>

10. Grant

Grant Member

If you're after mod ideas, hook it up to a Google Assistant device, so that the voice inside is the "operator" and you use the microphone to talk to it.

Daft_Munt and MUTMAN like this.
  11. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

thats from the the olden days proper. you got a "party line", Snowden would be crying in his biscuit tin at the very thought :)

12. OP
    OP
    Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

MUTMAN likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Ok, opened her up and someone has already made some changes.

Attached Files:

14. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

That’s such a shame history-wise.
    The upside is it should make it easier to adapt.

15. OP
    OP
    Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

That is what I thought. More pics added. At least the phone line switcher looks intact. Sticker on the back with the install date and tech has faded so no idea on the age.

Attached Files:

adz likes this.
  16. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

Those schematics look almost new. On an item that old I would have thought they’d be as brown as the timber and devoured by silverfish.

17. adz

adz Member

Dad was a telephone tech and Mum was an antiques nut, so I grew up using old telephones that Mum had Dad restore, friends used to always freak out when they tried to make a call at my house.

Daft_Munt and MUTMAN like this.
  18. OP
    OP
    Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Lol. As a friend suggested, get an old telephone box (another friend has an old red one) and put it in there.

I will try and get more photos of the schematics as they are in good nic.

adz likes this.