Damaged 3gig Prescott Processor - Works?!?

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by DarkStyle, May 9, 2005.

1. DarkStyle

DarkStyle Member

Heya guys

I bought a 3ghz Prescott processor off these forums a month ago for the princely sum of $50 dollars plus postage. The only damage being a damaged/broken pin. I attempted to fix this, but ended up pulling the contact pad right off the bottom of the CPU packaging.

Determined to try and fix this, I succeeded in making it worse. However, this afternoon I decided to test it in a board I have here and it seems to be working flawlessly. The BIOS CPU temperatures are all over the place though, ranging between 5 - 10C oscillations between readings.

The damaged pin in question, which has been completely removed from the CPU packaging is this one:
    [​IMG]

See the notch where two pins are missing on the right hand side on the bottom row (pins 1 + 2) ? Well, the pin immediately next to these on the bottom row is damaged.

Does anybody have any idea what it does?

2. BadaBing!

BadaBing! Member

I'm used to seeing this type of damage, but unless you single the damaged ones with a circle or something I won’t be able to help you. I can't see shit from that pic.

Generally if you plug it in and nothing goes bang, your all right. I would keep it at defaults though if you want to keep it functioning.

Last edited: May 9, 2005
  3. Hairy_Harold

Hairy_Harold Member

yeah just remember that lenses don't focus on shit at different depths take a picture directly above the cpu and then we might be able to help

4. OP
    OP
    DarkStyle

DarkStyle Member

See the corner closest to the bottom of the picture? The corner with the gold arrow and the two missing pins (the notch so it only fits in the socket one way?), well the pin that is missing is:

From Right to left on the bottom row : (Missing Pin) - (Missing Pin) - Pin

This is the one that is missing.

5. dinos22

dinos22 Member

if it's missing you can actually solder another one on and way you go.......no joke....one of my friends had a bent pin on a Socket 603 Xeon and while attempting to straighten it he snapped it.....guess what.....he soldered the damn thing and it worked 100% fine....i guess you'd have to have some steady hands for that job :leet:

BTW use microsoft paint and circle the pin if those dude still don't get which one it is

6. Varuna

Varuna Member

My guess is that it's an earth pin.

7. OP
    OP
    DarkStyle

DarkStyle Member

I removed the entire contact pad. Theres a copper filament inside the CPU package to solder onto, but nothing else.

8. jkmatt

jkmatt Member

sit a piece of hard wire(like a pin) in the socket in the motherboard, let it poke out ever so slightly, drop the cpu in and it should make contact

theres been lots of threads about this lately....

9. V-Spec

V-Spec Member

my mate has a northy with a pin missing, still works fine and overclocks to its original 478 pin status

must have a few backups like if one doenst work to use another spare one towards the middle (im not sure)

but i bet if this happened to an athlon that it woudlnt work

10. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

11. Icefire

Icefire (Banned or Deleted)

Ofcourse it wouldn't because you know, athlons are just cheap imitations of Intel right? </sarcasm>

12. V-Spec

V-Spec Member

no, not any more
    just worse quality imo

Last edited: May 12, 2005
  13. DR2K

DR2K Member

what makes it worst quality?

If a CPU works without one of its pins it means it has an unecessary pin. I'd rather have a CPU which is well designed and makes use of all the features it has.

14. jkmatt

jkmatt Member

Lets not get fanboys dribbiling balloni everwhere

no it means it has a lot of headroom built into it to get power in and out, meaning less chance of failure. Few pins on a CPU do anything other then take power in and out, look at an CPU design sheet, pages of pin descriptions, all saying power and ground

Worse quiality means AMD dont have the resources intel does, more AMDs fail or have problems then current gen pentiums, thats no fanboy talk either just a fact, i dont really have a preference, whatever fits my needs.

15. ludeking

ludeking Member

Show me these facts that more AMD chips fail than Intel's.

16. Icefire

Icefire (Banned or Deleted)

Wouldn't mind seeing those facts either....

17. FLB

FLB Member

The two pins missing on purpose are Pin A1 & Pin B1, the pin you have missing is pin C1, and is named "TDI" and is used for TAP & is an input pin.
    And according to Intel is "Test Data In", transfers serial test data into the processor. TDI provides the serial input needed for the JTAG specification support.

Looks like the pin you have broken is used in diagnostics of the chip itself, so you are lucky by the looks of things. Seems your chip is fine for normal everyday use, they just couldn't complete any diagnostics on it.

Links of Info -

Intel S478 90nm Chip Datasheet WebPage

Direct Link - Intel S478 90nm Chip Datasheet

Jtag Spec Info

Last edited: May 12, 2005
  18. Stang1

Stang1 Member

..fanboys..

Anyway, I had a 2.4c damaged during a flight from Perth to Melbourne. The CPU (I thought) was attached tightly enough to the mobo via the sturdy clips of a Volcano 7+, however I disregarded the ability of baggage handlers to f#^%k stuff. The CPU bounced and lots of pins were bent. I bent them back almost straight however I lost one. Mate of mine soldered a couple of strands of wire on to replace the pin and away she went, aok. Took him two goes, was a pretty sweet job... ;)

19. ChrisH

ChrisH Member

I own an intel pentium 4. But think of it this way intel fan boys, the socket 939 AMD64 has way more pins than the 478, So what is this bullcrap both sides are talking about pin = power. Its the way the chip is made, they are both as good as each other in their own ways.

20. Fuzzy-_-Muff

Fuzzy-_-Muff Member

I have noticed its only intel fanboys who carry on like idiots and lick intels arse's.
    Us AMD buyers are just content in the fact that we got a processor with more power and far cheaper than intels offering.

[Edit Chainbolt: Watch your mouth, we prefer to discuss technical matters among friends - there are no "idiots" here]

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2005