1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Dark Ale

Discussion in 'Geek Grog & Homebrew' started by frostee, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Deanodriver

Deanodriver Member

Even Coopers Dark Ale is nice (a little sweeter though, if i recall correctly).

Maybe I'll grab some from the bottle-o next time I'm there :)

2. PostModern

PostModern Angry Brewer

I second this. Also Lord Nelson's Old Admiral is available at quite a few outlets these days. Mmmm strong, sweet Old Ale!

3. jbman

jbman Member

Karma citra from feral

4. aXis

aXis Member

Guiness Stout isn't really in the same category as a dark ale - especially the brewed-under-license rubbish they sell in Australia. I had my first Guiness a few weeks ago after working my way up though vintage ales and wee-heavies and was quite unimpressed - it had poor mouth feel and very little depth of flavour.

The dark ale should not only have roasted flavours, but also a good malt backbone with some residual sugars, some hop aroma and the fruityness of the ale yeast.

5. stevenx

stevenx Member

Coopers Dark is damn good, especially on tap. :thumbup:

6. Fingil

Fingil Member

I had some of that when I was in Sydney last year and really liked it. Unfortunately my wife was pregnant at the time, so I only got to have 2 pints. I could have stayed all day :) I'll have to keep an eye out for it around Brisbane.

My drink of choice is White Rabbit now days. I really got a taste for darker ales when I lived in England and was having a tough time with the tastless, local swill when I got back. I'd like to try White Rabbit on tap some time. I think it would be really good on tap. I found some Adnams Broadside at Dan Murphys a couple of weeks ago. I found some Fullers ESB at 1st choice a while back too. Both great drops, although quite strong.

7. BlaCkAdDa

BlaCkAdDa Member

Coopers Dark
    White Rabbit
    Barons Black Wattle Ale
    Newcastle Brown Ale

could look into some of the micro brew bocks and things too.

8. pugsley

pugsley Member

Came into the thread to post white rabbit as soon as i saw the title. Stumbled across it just recently in a pub in Tas. I like trying beers i have never seen before on tap and had no hesitation with going back for a second and third. :p

9. spaced1

spaced1 Member

10. matthew-r88

matthew-r88 Member

my personal choice would be:

James Squire Amber Ale (on tap is way better than bottles but bottles still ok)
    White Rabbit

also Kilkenny, its a Nitrogenated Irish Cream Ale.....bit different you either love it or loathe it. (personally love it) :lol:

11. Fireblade

Fireblade Member

Monteiths Black is nice one. Echo others thoughts on White Rabbit Dark but the White Ale is a nothing beer, shame. Not much of a Guinness fan myself, I find it unpleasantly sour, would much rather a Coopers Stout or my own brewed stout.

12. kjparker

kjparker Member

+1 for the white rabbit dark.

Highly recommended!

13. mevereyn

mevereyn Member

Emerson's London Porter (it's a NZ brewery) is fucking awesome, as porters go.

Pretty dark too. :thumbup:

Damn, those kiwis are making some hardcore brews.

14. OP
    OP
    frostee

frostee Member

Got a six pack of White Rabbit and a Carlton Black single today. Keen to try later.

Also got me a bottle of Laphroaig scotch, perfect for this cold weather I think!

15. Zodiac87

Zodiac87 Member

Anyone tried Brown Penguin?

Wonderful drop.

16. Alex.W

Alex.W (Banned or Deleted)

White rabbit is pretty darn good..

I love going up to White Rabbit/Giant steps for pizza wine and beer... Best rides from Eltham to Healsville followed by best food! Win!

17. spaced1

spaced1 Member

18. simm

simm Member

19. biomaster

biomaster Member

Can't really recomend any good dark ales, but i will say, I went on a brewrey tour last weekend, and tried many tasting platters. Most had some decent laagers, pale ales etc, and then one or two dark ales /stouts to finish off.

Fuck I hate dark beers :sick: I don't know how you can enjoy them. I guess it's an 'acquired' taste.

20. spaced1

spaced1 Member

I think it comes down to what you like. Michael Jackson (the beer critic, not the pedobear) is right that there is a beer out there for everyone. Some old timers love their British style bitters and there is no way you can convince them a great American IPA is better. Because they like what they like.

If you're not out drinking the OP's dark ales, I don't think he'll mind drinking your share :)