1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Data hoarding / downsizing question...

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by ae00711, Mar 31, 2020.

1. ae00711

ae00711 Member

So I have a file server of sorts.. atm it's over 50TB capacity, with roughly half of that being unique data, the other half is simply back-up.

I've been downsizing a few of my rigs lately, as well as changing OS (from windows to linux).

My file server, well.. have only turned it on about 4-5 times between sept.'19 and now. I can't even remember most of the crap it stores. I do know there is a lot of drivers, programs etc for older hardware, older windows os' etc etc. Kinda hard to let go "what if I need it someday" or "archival for ppl making retro boxes".

I'd like to downsize. Some of these files are still floating about on the 'net, but sometimes I think to myself, what about when some P4 era hardware becomes really ancient, like, as ancient as a 486 machine is.. ppl will need drivers, apps etc...

thoughts? keep? or delete and (semi) clean start?

2. power

power Member

http://www.oldversion.com/

allegedly drivers are getting harder to find, eh.

do you really need the space? I tend to just buy more drives myself.

3. OP
    OP
    ae00711

ae00711 Member

mm don't think so, have to check space available, but I highly doubt I'm short

I think another thing that's annoying me about my file server is the need (but lack of money) to consolidate hdds - lots of 1TBs.. if I had money I could buy a few 2-4TB hdds, and thus reduce the number of hdds

4. power

power Member

Jesus, 1's can't remember when i last ran a 1 that isn't an SSD.

Chuck a couple 8's in there and you will feel better about it.

5. OP
    OP
    ae00711

ae00711 Member

lulz would love to, can't afford. unemployed, and in between semesters of ft study

6. power

power Member

bugger, well let me put it this way - as a fellow data hoarder i'd probably regret deleting any of my shit somewhere down the track because i just don't know what will and won't be important in future.

i will say tax time is when i buy too ;)

ae00711 likes this.
  7. McRutch

McRutch Member

the amount of savings on electricity though :Paranoid:

unless you don't pay then all good..

Best thing I ever did was get rid of my 2x Norco 4224's full of 1/2tb drives and replace with 2x 8bay NAS' with 6/8tb drives

8. power

power Member

holy shit!

my main PC has 6 drives, 2 1tb ssd's for games a 10 and 3*8's.

9. chook

chook Member

I think consolidating drives is the best path for you in terms of footprint, both physical and financial. There is the up front cost of the drives which is considerable but can you get them one at a time? I think 4TB is a good spot right now that balances actual dollars against dollars/GB and you could drop three to four drives per purchase.

10. power

power Member

nah, i have 2 pc's one for media and this one for gaming which also has all my shit.

11. power

power Member

when you can afford it consolidating makes a massive diff, my 4 drives for example are carrying a massive amount of shit and i have tons left over - in 4 as opposed to 20 drives...

12. chook

chook Member

I find it frustrating when I know the solution but obstacles, financial or otherwise, get in the way. Another money saving option is shucking but that carries a risk of voiding warranty I am pretty sure. People in the HDD thread might have some shucking protips.

https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/hdd-prices.991971/

ae00711 likes this.
  13. power

power Member

my 10 is a used shucked drive - would do again :D

14. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

If you have actual content that you think is useful (rare drivers etc), stick them up on archive.org. People do this often. Try and find where others are doing it and join in.

ae00711 likes this.
  15. TaXy DriVar

TaXy DriVar Member

I'm running UNRAID with 5 x 4TB drives and a 1TB SSD. I also have an 8TB external drive for backups. The best way I was able to downsize is ask myself "what would I loose my S#1T over if I lost it altogether?". Then all I had to do was make sure 'that' fits within 8TB. The rest is replaceable (albeit a lot of downloading).

ae00711 likes this.
  16. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Depends where you are in your data hoarding. Eventually you get to a point where shucked drives are ~70% the price of retail, and worth the risk when you're buying them at scale.

And if you're a real data hoarder, you've got quite a number of redundancies in place. So blown drives are just a part of life at that point.

hairy likes this.
  17. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

I probably need to downsize but I've got some irreplaceable things like a 35mm scan of Disney's 'Song of the South'

18. chook

chook Member

Some of the people in the HDD thread have been able to get the cases open for shucking so you can close it up again.

I have a Solaris machine using RAIDZ2 with 6 x 3TB drives. Nothing of actual value is on there so it is for convenience and minor peace of mind in the event a drive fails. I have been considering where to go for upgrading and shucking is a serious consideration provided I can find the correct option. That is mainly because I will be looking at 6TB or 8TB drives to replace them because I don't want to have to do it again quickly. I know these drives are a time bomb because a) they are seven years old and b) they are HDD. None of the data on them matters and is just my ISO and pr0n collection. You would be surprised how little actually important data you have when you cut out all the emotion.

ae00711 likes this.
  19. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

Apparently WD do honor the warranty as long as you send it back in the enclosure.

hairy likes this.
  20. chook

chook Member

I took it out to test the drive against the enclosure when it stopped working your honour. Hadn't actually thought of that one.