Data Recovery

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by de_kyal, Dec 2, 2017.

1. de_kyal

de_kyal Member

Can anyone recommend data recovery software ... I've tried R-Studio, DIsk Drill and something else. Each show different results, but not the files I need.

Any advice appreciated ...

2. ae00711

ae00711 Member

reclaime

more details could be useful

3. miicah

miicah Member

Recuva

Also you should be running any scans/restores off of a duplicated disk (if possible)

4. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

-1 for recouva, its basically a simple undelete tool, its not that powerful in the way of recovery. R-Studio is one of the most powerful, its a shame you couldnt find your files with it.

It will all depend on if the disk has been written on since the point of data loss, you should be running the disk as non primary and if its on a winOS, you'd want to be confident that the OS is setup in a way where it wont write to the disk before you attatch the disk and try doing a scan and recovery, (some of the) things like defrag schedule and system restore should be disabled.

If you have allowed the disk to R/W since the point were you lost the MFT record or the files, then your chances of recovery go from moderate to hopeless extremely quickly.

the health of the disk is also going to affect the chances of recovery, if the disk is bad and suffering geometry loss (aka click of death) then in those instances, it'll be only a short matter of time until the read head fails and the drive will only read out zeros.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  5. OP
    OP
    de_kyal

de_kyal Member

Thanks for that..... I think the "owner" has done something as I was surprised R-Studio let me down so much, and this would explain it. It's sad as it contains photo's and video's of their first born so am trying my best to recover what I can.

HDTune showed reasonable health (enough to recover), but R-Studio showed a lot of unrecognised sectors.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  6. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

R-Studio can recover from punctured arrays (its amazing for raid emulation), even if you dont know the stripe size and order, through scans and recovery attempts you can eventually recover the files as valid after enough combination attempts, its quite powerful. For single disks a deep scan will show you pretty much the last 10+ master file table states, and the data should be discoverable in the most recent 3 if theres been no disk usage since the data loss. you'd likely lose the directory structure but should be able to pull the content off the drive.

It sounds to me like the drive was used for a period since the data loss, and if that is the case then the data is pretty much gone, anything like wipe free disk space or defrag would make it impossible to restore the files afterward no matter how many deep scans and techniques you try :/

7. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

GetDataBack is one people seem to recommend.

8. T-O-D

T-O-D Member

I've had lots of success in the past with "PhotoRec"

(ignore the name, it does most files)

9. hawks667

hawks667 Member

I have used this a fair few times over the years...works well...

10. OP
    OP
    de_kyal

de_kyal Member