DayZ Mod - ArmA II: CO

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Kitler, May 15, 2012.

1. dogthinker

dogthinker Member

Is it common for your character to not come across with you when you change servers? I seem to be ok when I hop between NZ servers, but it keeps trying to start me from scratch when I try to go elsewhere :/

Nearly got back up to 8k health, feasting on beans in a supermarket, then someone started up a car or something, just as I was sneaking across the road and a bazillion zeds aggroed right past me... Straight back down to 3000 health. My vision's too messed up to make another supermarket run, but I finally found some matches, so I guess come daybreak I'll head inland and start hunting game.

Binoculars are rather eye opening. Watching survivors creeping around thinking they can't be seen... I saw one guy play seriously dirty. He got a pair of survivors between him and a bunch of zeds, then shot in the air and hid. Once the survivors were knocked down, he waited for the zeds to finish eating before clearing them out, so he didn't accumulate any bad karma...

2. Alby

Alby Member

No, it is not all that common. It seems that the NZ servers have detached from the Hive meaning that they no longer get their character info from the main DayZ server. This means you can play a character on NZ servers and then have another on the other servers that are attached to the Hive. However you cannot transfer characters between non-linked servers.

3. Spacenoodle

Spacenoodle Member

Is there a Teamspeak server that people commonly use for this game? I hate wandering around not knowing whats going on.

Also, how long does it take to find a gun or something to fight with? I've played for about 2-3 hours and haven't find a single item.

Where should I be looking?

4. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

Oo another DMR, coyote, NVG and rangefinder. Don't mind if I do. Productive evening :3 Partner already has all of the above.

5. dogthinker

dogthinker Member

You seem to be right. NZ 3, 4, 5 and 6 (all the ones hosted by 'Orcon') seem to be on their own hive.

I'll stay there until I die. Which'll probably be very soon, unless I can find a cow, I'm so beat up I think the zombies can see better than I can at the moment :)

6. Oneofthe30

Oneofthe30 Member

I have a few questions, if someone could answer them I would appreciate it.

1. How long does it take before a players corpse disappears/becomes unlootable? Eg If some dirty bastard clips me, how long do i have to run back to my body and hopefully loot my gear?

2. Do heli crash sites only appear for a certain amount of time and if so how long? I found one yesterday and looted some shit, logged off but logged back in 3hrs latter thinking to go back and grab a FN but the heli wasnt there (i dont know if the server restarted or not).

3. How does the loot spawn system work. eg, I enter a supermarket and pick up items that I want, do spots that i have taken items from then start a count down to respawn new items? Do i need to pick up all the items in that specific pile for the pile to respawn? Do i need to leave the town and come back ect?

4. Is there any other way to tell who slotted me other than running back and "Study Body"?

Thanks for any answers, Ive been playing this game for a week and am having a fairly good time, Im guessing that it would be even better with a partner or small group.

7. Troast

Troast Member

Enfield is totally underrated for PVP, but absolutely owns. Better than most guns in the game except sniper rifles and the gun with the thermal scope I recon if you can aim it well, 1 shot kills and the fact most people don't take you serious until its too late.

Very easy to get as well, end game is complicated by many people who think it necessary to have everything but in PVP most of the time its who sees the other first and many times I have killed players with days worth of gear, the thermal scope gun is incomparable because it allows you to always get that advantage.

8. LINUX

LINUX Member

This helps a great deal: http://www.dayzdb.com/map

If you've got a laptop, or even a 2nd monitor, having it open while playing is a massive help. Just be aware that a lot of the residential spawns don't seem to exist, they're just houses you can't go it with zombies hanging about.

Head to the military spawns for good weapons, but expect to be shot at unless you're looting at 6am on an empty server. On a 50 player server there's almost always someone hanging about every military spawn (Cherno NE tents, Stary, Berezino and NW/Balota airfield.

Deer stands count as military spawns and tend to be visited less, it's just time consuming to visit a lot of them.

Edit: Last I read last night (AEST) Rocket was trying to get 1.7.2.2 out before the weekend, now it's 1.7.2.3 already!?

Code:
    Changelog:
    [FIXED] Ghillie and skin removal on login ( https://dev-heaven.net/issues/36666 )
    [FIXED] Arma X stuck on loading screen ( https://dev-heaven.net/issues/36647 )
    [FIXED] AKS_74_kobra classname incorrectly named ( https://dev-heaven.net/issues/36680 )
    [NEW] Server side performance tweaks and improvments
    [FIXED] Infected detect players from too far away (reduced by about 20%)
    [FIXED] Disconnect updates not being correctly applied (caused inventory issues)
    [FIXED] Bear traps not appearing for spawn (low spawn)

Lets hope the server side performance issues are fixed, the desync is *horrible* when playing in a group, especially on the ANZ servers.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  9. Pudlem

Pudlem Member

So I havent lost my AK, anitbiotics, pack full of food, map tools, etc? Woot!

10. Ogre

Ogre Member

A couple of the AU servers had also disconnected from the hive

11. Morphine

Morphine Member

I've already upgraded to 1.7.2.3 ... any way to digress back to 1.7.2 or 1.7.2.1?

I'm a complete novice at this and can't wait to get into it properly. I found myself running away with a zombie chasing me, even when I'm sneaking the best I can into a town or isolated house (not sure if the server was vet mode though). Even was having trouble climbing into a hunting platform for a few minutes /facepalm lol

12. Ogre

Ogre Member

Get a copy of the older files and overwrite the files in <ARMA:AOdirectory>\@DayZ\Addons

It is probably a good idea to make a copy of the @DayZ folder first and call it @DayZ1.7.2 or something so you dont have redownload it again when you wish to update.

13. bennyling

bennyling Member

Hate to break it to you, but you even *seeing* a heli fly overhead just exponentially increased your chances of finding one to repair. Most servers, I believe, still have them disabled due to desync issues and whatever else.

The only heli I've flown on our server was hacked-in :Paranoid:

Think it varies, but I was killed at NW airfield one time, spawned at Balota, and made it all the way up. Took a little over an hour, and my body was still there when I made it back.

I *think* they de-spawn when all the loot is taken. They re-spawn if the server is restarted.

Loot spawns when there's a player nearby, or there has been a player nearby. You can "farm" loot by moving all the loot away from the original spawn, which starts a timer — think it's around 5, maybe 10 minutes, again, variable — walking around 50/100m away, then coming back after a period of time. Rinse and repeat for the lulz, apparently this works pretty well at Stary military tents but you might get shot at :lol:

Does that even work yet? Maybe in 1.7.2+ servers. But no, there isn't.

Surely this "disconnect from the HIVE" business is against some kind of terms and conditions of being a DayZ server host? Kinda like how server admins aren't supposed to lock their servers so other player's can't join...

14. Alby

Alby Member

Awhile, cant remember exact time but plenty to run back and loot yourself. Not that I suggest it; if the player was close to you he would have looted you already and if it was a sniper then why go back to where he can just shoot you again?

After a crash site has been looted it will not re-spawn any loot and will disappear after awhile. Also lots of people hunt down helicopter crash sites for hours on end so chances are someone found it and took the FN.

Yes, Yes, No. If you empty a loot spawn completely it will re-spawn faster, so if you want to hang around then take everything even tin cans and move what you don't want outside into a giant pile. This way things will slowly re-spawn and you can loot the same place as much as you want. You do not need to leave town and come back but it is probably best to have a rotation of a couple of close places as re-spawn does take a few minutes.

No. Even study body doesn't help often.

Some of the mirrors on the DayZ site hold old copies of the code or are late to update their links.

15. Morphine

Morphine Member

God damnit ... mid game and now stuck facing one direction can't face any other direction but can still strafe, crouch, prone, etc .. I'm stuck looking at a building and I just want to turn and run into the hills :S Can't even equip a bloody hatchet I found ...

Edit: Nevermind, I think freelook wasn't locked or something ... sigh.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  16. LINUX

LINUX Member

Can't believe I found *two* friendly players on a NZ server (1.7.2.3 is a *massive* performance boost lag/desync wise!). We looted Cherno and spotted 3 guys running across a field from the apartment blocks in the NW (opposite the hospital). Since one of us had an enfield, he opened fire.

One of them was killed, the others ran. We checked the corpse and were promptly all killed haha.

Lesson learned: One guy loots the corpse, the others stand watch.

17. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

They'll murder you later. You should murder them first. ;)

18. Alby

Alby Member

Or better yet don't loot it at all and wait for his friends to come back for his gear. If he had anything good they would have come back.

Wooo you have converted!! :D

19. Morphine

Morphine Member

First day of DayZ - run into two people, both have killed me.
    Can't wait to get a weapon to exact revenge, this blows not having one.

20. iNoob

iNoob Member

Twas looting the tents at Berezino when I had some zeds behave strangely, I thought I had agro'd them as they were going ape shit around the tent but also heard a lot of movement.

I decide to leg it into another tent just so I could line them up and kill them one by one, strangely, they didn't follow me, they were still agro but around the one tent. I shoot the 4 or so zeds and walk back, turns out a player has followed me from the hill and was ready to have a stab at me in the tent but got caught by a zed :eek: I tea bagged him as he was unconscious and then put him out of his misery.

I noticed there were zeds of the distance, I got sloppy after that weird encounter only to notice my char wouldn't move, half a second later boom, head was blown off. I gotta admit, it was a solid shot while I was running, must have been a 200-300m shot :thumbup: Didn't hear a cz but something more metallic like an anti-material rifle?