DayZ Mod - ArmA II: CO

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Kitler, May 15, 2012.

1. praytella

praytella (Banned or Deleted)

Cherno.

No surprise. Don't hang around large towns and don't be so obvious by climbing up on top of buildings. Night time is safer from both other players and zeds. Probably best never to change servers if you've managed to get in there safely, leave the same way. If you change servers you won't be aware of your surroundings.

Now that is awesome. I assume you didn't have a gun when you were taken hostage.

Do you know about the gamma trick to help see better at night?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  2. raGneG

raGneG Member

Will do mate, cheers!

3. Etherate

Etherate Member

rofl thats hilarious

4. Dingostolemyghz

Dingostolemyghz Member

Haha thats awesome.

If they actually took you back to their main camp, then that was a huge risk on their part, or maybe they just had a secondary camp for hostage taking, circle jerking and sodomy.
    Zed, it's Maynard. Yeah. The spider just caught a couple flies.

5. hotsuma

hotsuma Member

when i first started playing i had a winchester and a 4 door car was coming down the road , i was ready to blast them, turned out to be 3 guys in gillie suits , they told me to get in, took me for a joy ride through a town a couple times then dropped me off , then i went back to hunting for beans haha , wish that sort of stuff happened more often.

surprised they did not run me down, i was looking down the iron sites looking at the car as soon as i saw it. chick character ftw

6. dogthinker

dogthinker Member

Happily practicing my aim against zombies in a deserted server. Some guy logs in right behind me by pure fluke... And happens to be the first person I'd seen in days that wasn't friendly. Pop.

I think this'd work a lot better if the game adjusted player spawns to ensure they didn't appear within 1km of another player. That'd end all the teleportation bullshit in one swoop.

7. Domokun

Domokun Member

Had such a boring night last night. Ran around for 4-5 hours looking for helicopter crashes. Not only did I not find any helicopter crashes, I didn't see another player, and the only decent loot I managed to find was a tent. Oh well.

8. iphex

iphex (Banned or Deleted)

So got this game, being playing the last couple of hours, have looted nothing except 1 piece of scrap metal and died a few times to Zeds.

Any good places to get loot near the bean coast?

9. Ogre

Ogre Member

Get away from the coast, not worth the risk when starting out.

You wont need scrap metal at the start.

Use a map like http://dayzdb.com/map. It will tell you places of value etc. Starting off it is probably best to go for the deer stands.

10. dogthinker

dogthinker Member

In my opinion priority number 1 at the start is visiting a supermarket or two - they're a fairly reliable source of side arms, and more importantly - matches and hunting knives. Then all you need is a hatchet (common as muck in barns) and you're self sufficient. Life is so much more relaxing once you can fill yourself back up to 12000 blood at minimal risk.

Some of the inland towns have supermarkets too, of course, you don't need to visit a major town unless you want to.

11. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

Ideally I'd do some kind of secure player camp, like the underground building they want to do. If you log off you spawn back there. Combine this with a 10-30s log off time. Not sure how that'd work for people without such a spawn though.

12. jtool

jtool Member

Sigh.. I really want to play this now. Should I keep waiting for it to go on sale on steam, or do people think that's not gonna happen? I don't mind spending 23$ but if its gonna be on sale tomorrow or the day after for 10$ I'll probably spew a little.

13. Alby

Alby Member

They failed at the log off timer, for some reason they could not get it to work. Your idea with spawning back at a "player camp" will ruin the game. People will abuse it and use it to teleport back after their long wilderness/northern escapades. Instead it would be good to see something like delaying a players spawn if they will be inside a X meter range of another player.

14. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

I suppose you could do the delay. How much of a delay though? Couldn't that cause problems for anyone spawning into cities depending on length of delay and area it applies to? If the AOE is too small then it wont really stop the server hopping in PVP at all, since you'll just run a little bit further. Too great and you'll be putting unnecessary log in delays on every person who likes to spend their time in Chern, and to every player who plays with friends since we'll likely spawn together. Might actually help a player with server hopping for loot, just Alt F4 if you get the spawn delay since you know someone is in the area. So you swap one abuse for helping another abuse. So then I guess you need to add something in to hinder you if you do server hop for gear, looking at number of log ins over a period of time. Spawn back home eliminates server hopping for loot and hopping for PVP completely, but adding an extra abuse in quick travel.

Log off timer shouldn't be hard when they go stand alone, they'd be limited by Arma2 with doing that. It's definitely needed and I have abused it.

15. bennyling

bennyling Member

1. To fix the issue where players can logout, go to another server, and log back in behind you to shoot you in the back, all they have to do is make character location server-specific. I.e. logout on one server, but try and login to another server you haven't logged into before, and you'll spawn on the bean coast (or other "safe" area. Perhaps even a random area?) We've already been through this in this thread.

2. To fix the issue of people spawning in behind you or whatever, they just have to add a lobby timer. Say, if you drop back to the lobby (after aborting), you get hit with a two minute long penalty before you can re-join again. Same deal if you just disconnect from the server entirely and re-join the same server again.

16. Alby

Alby Member

A delay until the other player has moved away. This way if it is friends then you just ask them to move away. The distance would need to be tried and tested to see what helps and what does not. It would not be a total solution of course, other things would probably need to be implemented. Perhaps players within X radius can also be warned of a player spawning close to them so they have some forewarning. This could then mean the delay is reduced to say 5 seconds; a short 5 second warning that someone is incoming.

17. praytella

praytella (Banned or Deleted)

Hackers spawn in behind you.

I don't get the whole disconnect and spawn in behind you to kill you issue. Unless you're being pinned down by someone else, just relocate and camp your old spot. Got start thinking tactical and stuff!

18. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

I wouldn't mind the warning, then the greater danger is on the one who is hopping as it probably should be. I don't think the devs would like a straight up warning though but perhaps some kind of audible clue.

Not a bad idea bennyling, putting location data on the server not the hive. Could work. If they can do that of course.

19. Alby

Alby Member

For all those who have experienced crashing after installing the new Arma2:OA beta patch and trying to rollback to play on other servers.

Click here for the simple fix.

20. Domokun

Domokun Member

I posted some thoughts on how I thought the disconnection timer could be improved here, but either the feedback wasn't well received or the thread got lost in the abundance of new threads being created.