DayZ Mod - ArmA II: CO

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Kitler, May 15, 2012.

1. FiShy

FiShy Member

had at one stage 9 people rolling in our group, NW Airfield = 2 guys looting, 2 guys guarding the door and the rest of us just running over zombies in the 3 cars we had.

Wish you got zombie kill counts for running them over.

2. orbisfactor

orbisfactor Member

seems the L85 is back in, our group killed 2 guys that had them at the NWAF

3. Dr1fty

Dr1fty Member

So we ran into a little trouble last night.. I make it back to camp and reload and then somebody mows me down with a silenced M4.. I die.. :( Friends come back and watch the camp, nobody there for ages.. I respawn and I end up fainted in an airfield.. WTF No idea which airfield though.

Friends try and find me but run out of blood...

So we've moved camp just in case...

Ural
    2x Hilux
    1x Sedan
    3x Quad's
    Pushbike

Plus about 7 tents full of crap. lol

Such an effort to move camps.

4. hotsuma

hotsuma Member

cheers ill give it a go last night ,

5. Psycho84

Psycho84 Member

Always wait til the last day of a steam sale if the game you want hasn't gone on Daily Deal! You never know, it could be 75% off on the last day.

6. timsarg

timsarg Member

stop being such a tightarse , it's only $30

7. beckyboo

beckyboo New Member

Download the free to play version of ARMA II, and give yourself a few hours of playing it before buying anything.

It'll give you a small idea of what you are getting into with DayZ.

8. rockofclay

rockofclay Member

Or try before you buy :Pirate:

9. MuRDoC

MuRDoC Member

I agree it is on sale on steam right now. Buy it!!!!

10. Dingostolemyghz

Dingostolemyghz Member

its the zombie infected apocalypse, $30 has no value.
    beans on the other hand.... priceless

11. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

May be of interest to DayZ fans.

The WarZ
    http://au.ign.com/articles/2012/07/19/the-war-z-a-new-zombie-survival-experience

Another PC zombie survival game. Been in development long before DayZ was heard of so it's not a rip off. Hopefully they'll have looked at the success of DayZ and the hardcore nature of it and realise that they can have a successful game without pandering to push x to win retards. They say they have taken recent design inspiration from the DayZ forums.

$30, with a discount for preorders. No subscription. Some microtransactions.
    There are microtransactions, but they aren't for better gear. You'll be able to buy respawns on your normal mode characters, rather than waiting the timer out which is likely a day or 2. You can buy basic necessities like food, water and medical supplies. Mostly convenience purchases for people who'd rather spend real money than spend their time.
    Looks like they'll charge for server rentals as well.
    250 players per server.
    1 big map initially but releasing more cities for free over time, all based on real locations.
    You can get infected by the zombies and have to get a vaccine. They're bought in safe zones, or taken from other players. I like the idea of someone being infected but not having the coin to buy a cure, and being forced to hunt other players before they turn.
    Safe Zones where you can shop from NPCs, and access a post office to put items into your global inventory to share between characters in different cities. You can do PVP in safe zones but the NPC guards will attack you, along with any sensible players in the area.
    Normal and Hardcore modes. Normal seems to be that your character just dies for a period of time, Hardcore is perm death. Don't get why but in Normal mode you don't start with a weapon, in Hardcore mode you do.
    RPG elements, levelling up your medicine, gun skills, etc.

http://thewarz.com/ You can put in your email address for closed beta access when the time comes. It's currently in Alpha.

And now i see someone has already made a thread on it :| well nevermind.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  12. Autti

Autti Member

may the best game win?

not a rip off, but as they have said, they have borrowed a lot of DayZs design philosophy and elements.

More competition the better, but micro transactions and such, im not holding out hope.

13. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

Can only be good for gamers. A competing game threatening to steal player base means Rocket/Bohemia will have to get pretty serious about DayZ development. This will be in Beta soon and DayZ has no indication of going stand alone any time soon. Or maybe it'll be a pile of shit and a total flop and won't change anything for the better. We shall see.

14. shizmo

shizmo Member

Gah... I can understand that micro-trans format can be successfull for smaller game studios and stuch. But honestly I cannot think of 1 game where it hasn't put a dampner on the experience for me.

I think its just the fact that there is a bunch of stuff in the game I cannot get/accomplish without forking out cash. Do not approve. I think its going to have to bring a very unique engine/engrossing gameplay to have any chance of beating the experience of DayZ (Which is helped a huge amount by the uber realism mechanics of Arma2)

Its going to be difficult for them!

15. Linkin

Linkin Member

Any game where you pay real money for items you need to survive (think buying food/drink in DayZ and otherwise being super rare to find) is a real dealbreaker for me. Can't stand it.

16. Marksman X

Marksman X Member

DayZ will be the same. Rocket keeps hinting at the idea of pay to play.

I would MUCH prefer if it were to use the Guild Wars template, however I am going to play this no matter what.

Me + zombies = perfect world.

In saying that has anyone seen this?
    Spoke to these guys at OZ Comic Con.

17. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

Environments are where it can beat DayZ easily at this point. DayZ is very limited by what Arma2 can give it. This will have multiple enormous apocalyptic cities and 250 players a server from the start. DayZ is hoping to get to 200 players a server, which could be pretty brutal given you can't hide a stash from 40 people, 200 people will be chaos. I feel DayZ going standalone will be important to compete with it.

Microtransactions are supposed to be for convenience items like food and respawns. Not trying to be something that forces you to use it, its just there to make money off lazy/busy people. Can't see myself ever using it but I'm all for a game delivering me more free content by charging lazy people instead so long as it isn't giving them unfair advantages.

That IRL shooter thing is pretty cool. Shame its laser weapons I think I'd rather have replicas shooting paintballs.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  18. shizmo

shizmo Member

Honestly if you can just buy food/water and other survival tools... That's a game breaker. That's not just cosmetic crap that people waste money on, people will get ahead by throwing money at it.

You know that whole kill to survive scrape together whatever u can find to live for another few hours feel? Yeah throw that out the window.

19. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Everything I've heard from Rocket has been that he's gonna aim at a minecraft style model for standalone. Low cost to purchase alpha/beta early and go from there.

He has also stated there will be word on a standalone before the year is out.

I can't think of any time I've heard him talk about microtransactions or subscriptions in a sense of 'yes thats what we want to do'.

20. Etherate

Etherate Member

Does anyone know whats going on?

I was playing on a ANZ server today, got a bunch of gear then logged out somewhere north of balota. I come back and join a different server and i am at the coast with no gear :thumbdn:

So i go back to the original server and im back north of balota with all my gear... ive tried numerous other servers and they keep putting me at the coast. all servers im trying are beta 95054 including the original?????