DayZ Mod - ArmA II: CO

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Kitler, May 15, 2012.

1. Alby

Alby Member

The original server must not be connected to the HIVE. Meaning you don't actually have an "official" character yet hence the re-spawn on beach.

2. praytella

praytella (Banned or Deleted)

You mean this?

Edit: Beaten to it

3. Etherate

Etherate Member

hmm the server is ANZ 7 ? this one isnt connected?

4. praytella

WTF, you have a bunch of actors dressed as zeds chasing you around sets in a glorified game of laser tag? Do the actors have to physically touch you for you to die or do they shoot lasers as well?

Ahh... another cool story from Day Z.

(source)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  5. Domokun

Domokun Member

Did you run the two BattleEye setup .exe files located in \steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\expansion\beta?

6. Alby

Alby Member

Zombies with lasers, that would be amusing. But no, they must touch you. As far as I can remember, the people hosting the event rent old buildings and hire actors/randoms to play zombies as you and your mates attempt to escape the building or complete the scenario given to you.

7. Ogre

Ogre Member

Well two things that I think would make it feel nothing like DayZ would be the leveling system and the safe zones.

The great thing about DayZ is everyone is equal, there is no advantage other than your knowledge.

I also think having safe zones would detract from the loneliness/fear you can get in DayZ. DayZ has no safe zones so you always have to keep an eye out.

The other thing I don't understand is why you would need multiple characters? Other than an easy way out of death.

The biggest advantage that they do have over DayZ is (which was mentioned earlier) their engine (I am assuming you could probably do more with it) and their levels

8. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

some NZ servers are separated from the hive. Your character won't transfer from them to another server.

Characters might locked to their map. Not sure how it works but there will eventually be multiple maps in multiple countries. Probably wouldn't make much sense if you could jump from LA to Paris with the same character. I'm sure it'll feel different in many ways to dayz, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. DayZ is more about letting the players guide the experience. WarZ has more of the usual game stuff to guide it.
    Keep in mind when they say safe zones in WarZ they've said that they are free from zombies in the day and more secure at night, so I guess there is still some risk there, and PVP is still possible. They could of course make it so you can technically kill someone there but the NPCs are so powerful you'd just get slaughtered immediately which is pretty much no PVP.

Be interesting to see where DayZ goes with its base building given they aren't secured at all. If someone finds your base they can raid it and destroy it. So it will probably necessitate very large groups to form so that you can actually have guard duty in order to protect your shit. Should be an interesting experience, especially when we're playing 200 people to a server. I'm a bit torn about whether the map is big enough for 200 people at a time. That might be something for arma3/standalone.

Rather than having a levelling system I much prefer Rockets goal that real world skills should be transferable. If done really well you could do some amazing things. I'd love to have my knowledge of medicine actually transfer into the game. I can think of many ways you could put actual medical content into the game. Not sure about other skills you could bring in though. If base building is done very well I'm sure there's applications of real world skills to be had there.

9. Ogre

Ogre Member

I was thinking about that earlier, the base building would be great for end game content and a feeling of progress. But like tents and vehicles how do you protect them when you and your mates are offline?

Build a door and put a lock on it :lol: ?

And you would be limited to that server I imagine, so say you barricade up a house (or any other building) and thats your little base. Does loot stop spawning for that particular building?

What happens when someone on another server enters that building and servers hops to the server your on. Does he get instant access to your supposedly secure building?

Do you mean just knowledge you have? or ingame perks/skills?

Like to fix a broken leg instead of taking morphine and then being able to run a marathon, instead you would need to put it in a splint or something?

10. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

Rocket said above ground bases don't work in Arma2, probably for some of the reasons you listed above. They're testing building bases underground and these would be 'instanced'. Not sure what they mean by that, would love an explanation if anyone does know. They wouldn't be secured and any other player could destroy your underground base.

His intention was knowledge that you have in the real world could be used in the game. No in game perks, skills or classes, but if someone does have a good knowledge of cars they will work better as a mechanic for their group than someone like me that doesn't know anything. His simple example was having the skybox detailed enough so that you could navigate by the stars. Not a super necessary skill but a decent example. So yeah I mean having some actual medical knowledge being useful in game, and whatever other real world skills you can think of that could be brought into it. I imagine there's a lot there that could be done with fixing up cars requiring some actual mechanics knowledge. Medical stuff could be down to first aid of wounds choosing appropriate bandaging techniques for particular injuries, up to having various illnesses in the game that someone has to diagnose and appropriately treat or managing the critically wounded with CPR, fluids, blood, drugs, defribrilation, etc. That's probably a stretch but it's plausible enough that it could be done even if I'm being way too optimistic about what can be done. I've seen others suggest characters having blood types and taking blood from each other to transfuse dying team mates.

Any real world skills you can think of that you'd like to see in the game?

A problem with all that is it might take away a lot from the person playing on their own, and they don't really want to force people to group up, just encourage it.

11. iphex

iphex (Banned or Deleted)

Can anyone else log in, all im getting is server rejection bad version.

12. Autti

Autti Member

new beta patch, have to wait for servers to update.

gregpolk the things that Rocket mentioned was hacking, i.e you can put security systems in your underground bases and have electronic locks and doors, but if you knew how to hack in real life/evade security measures you could do it in the game.

At least that is where he wants to take the game.

Base building underground is currently the only option.

The next major patch will have german shepards. Not sure if/when they will implement bases.

13. Ogre

Ogre Member

Will the dogs be friendly?

14. dogthinker

dogthinker Member

Most likely he means that the bases would effectively be separate maps (or far enough away for the same effect (i.e. far, far out in the debug plains)). Walking though a door to a base would be like walking through a portal, from the point of view of the game engine.

Or it might even be to the extreme of 'get auto-disconnected from one server, then connected to the server running the base map' when you click to enter

15. praytella

I think calling them "German" should give away their level of friendliness

16. Domokun

Domokun Member

17. praytella

Ok guys, I need to assemble a strike team. We have an opportunity to get all tactical and shit. Debriefing is happening now and when ever else I feel like it if you wanted to jump in TS3.

This is not a drill.

18. pugsley

pugsley Member

Fuck yeah i finally got off the ground. Found me a makarov pistol then a Enfield on a dead survivor.

Feels good having the ability to take out a zombie :leet:

19. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

You should run into the middle of cherno and shoot the Enfield. Go on. Do it.

20. pugsley

pugsley Member

I'm in Cherno atm, its staying tightly strapped to my back :p