DayZ Mod - ArmA II: CO

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Kitler, May 15, 2012.

1. Alby

Alby Member

For all you El-cheapos out there, Arma II: Combined Operations is now a Daily Deal for 40% off.

2. praytella

praytella (Banned or Deleted)

I'm sensing Alby will be one happy camper on Bean Coast for the next few weeks.

3. Alby

Alby Member

Hehehe. Might take one of my AS-50s down there tomorrow for some sweet red mist and by red mist i mean giant fountains of blood.

4. Domokun

Domokun Member

Are you using the Steam or non-Steam version of Combined Operations? I find the Six Launcher/Updater to be decent for updating the beta and DayZ files (even though I still manually copy the beta .exe to the main \steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead folder), but not so good for browsing servers and launching the game.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  5. Dr1fty

Dr1fty Member

w00t

Jumped on another server, ran 500m and found 3 tents full of crap.. Grab a load, move servers, run 500m dump into own camp...

Rinse and repeat...

Now when the rest of my team get up we'll move camp again I think.. One person per vehicle in a road train style cruising around the map.. lol

4 Quad's
    Ural
    Gaz
    2x Hilux

:D

6. LINUX

LINUX Member

I use the launcher to start the game because the shortcuts I make always throw up errors. The server browser is horrible, but it's simple enough to tell it to join a full server, have it fail, and then use the in game server browser.

Ed: using Steam version, haven't had issues with the beta. Only manual operation I've had to do so far is updating Battleye when the new beta came out a few days ago.

7. ShadowGeoff

ShadowGeoff Member

For those buying ARMA2CO this weekend in order to get DayZ working you will need to do the following.

Let both games install through steam and play them at least once (tutorials are a good idea). For me they only work if I close steam then right click on the steam short cut and run as admin, then run the game from steam. Download SixLauncher from the dayZ site and let it update DayZ and the ARMA beta patch. Go into your steam apps/common folder and find the ARMA2OA exe. Make a backup of it. Go down one more level into the expansions folder then beta and copy the beta version of the game exe from there to the main folder. Find the launch modifier code you will need by looking on the getting started section of the DayZ site. Copy it into the launch properties of ARMA2OA in steam. Right click on OA in steam and select "launch as ARMA2:CO". Done.

8. Punch Bunny

Punch Bunny Member

I was in the same boat, I had some nice gear and was paranoid about losing it. But really, it's not hard to find decent gear again. All you need is a hatchet and a jog around Cherno. Somebody is sure to "lend" you some nice stuff ;)

Sometimes people scream "Friendly! Friendly!" over voice comms when they see me. I don't try to murder those people, unless they have stuff that I think I really want need. If anybody asks if I am friendly, I will tell them I am a murderous prick, but at least I am an honest murderous prick.

Helping people turned me this way. Now I am evil. But... it feels good, man. :thumbup:

9. iNoob

iNoob Member

Hmm time to go to bean coast and rape the new kids? :p

Also OCAU'ers want an m16? No ammo tho.

10. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

Dammit brought it yesterday.... Figures :D

11. casual_observer

casual_observer Member

+
    =

[​IMG]

12. Punch Bunny

Punch Bunny Member

LOL I was just sneaking up on somebody in the supermarket in Elektro, and noticed they had a pistol drawn, but facing away from me. I had but a hatchet. So, I get onto my belly to crawl over... and promptly get stuck on a shelf, break my legs, and fall unconscious with blood fountaining out of me. I bleed out.

Lucky bugger.... :lol:

13. ShadowGeoff

ShadowGeoff Member

Preemptive Karma?

I was thinking that one of the reasons this game is so compelling is that Rocket has intentionally kept gamey things like seeing what happens after you die or some kind of karma or scoring system out of the game. With no risk/reward for killing other than the risk of somebody hearing you, it kicks the decision wheather to be friendly or hostile back down to the level of what is actual happening in the game and what you might actually do in that situation (as much as possible). It is a kind of a grand experiment. Unfortunately, because you can come back after you die a) People learn from mistakes so are both less cautious and more vengeful b) people do not feel like they are taking something of value away when they kill you. So, despite Rocket's best efforts the fact that it is a game and has limitations has meant that the grand experiment has degenerated into a shoot-on-sight mechanic. If you only lived once, I think there would be a lot less of it, but of course that would be impractical. The question is, does this limitation of the game deserve the implementation of another game mechanic to counter it? I think that Rocket has his head in the sand about the way that the very fact it is a game generates behavior which is undesirable from the point of view of making the experience appealing and compelling.

If the game kept track of total murders vs deaths, it could extend the re-spawn timer the more murders you have compared to deaths.

14. Ogre

Ogre Member

So you would get punished for protecting yourself or your friends?

The game gives you a murder regardless of who shot first or the intentions of both parties.

When you play DayZ you will just have to accept that you will kill and be killed in a variety of different and stupid ways. Just film it and put it on YouTube.

15. Alby

Alby Member

Agreed. There does need to be a mechanic that provides a reason to keep someone else alive. Actual perma-death will not work as it would just make killing more satisfying for bandits and in the end ruin the game due to lack of players. I think the way other zombie survivals are going is a good way to combat such an issue, basically having classes. I know some don't like the idea of it, but if players had specific class bound skills then there would be a reason to keep others alive. For example there could be a mechanic, ability to repair badly damaged vehicles, or a doctor, ability to heal players more efficiently. This is what WarZ is doing and so are other similar games which will greatly improve the game play.

It does, there are leader boards on the DayZ website but they seem to currently be down.

16. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

Thanks for the tips, still downloading, so I'll need to do all that soon enough. :)

17. Punch Bunny

Punch Bunny Member

Perhaps :)

However, not long ago I was roaming up the coast and ran into an unarmed guy. I told him there was a hatchet nearby, I could lead him to it. He said his friend was close and would help him with supplies. No worries, I bid him a good day - and then get blasted from behind with a shotgun.

I guess his friend did help him, but it was with MY supplies. I should have just shot him and continued on :p

18. L4ncer

L4ncer Member

This is fkn bullshit...

no matter what server i join i just get stuck on the loading screen... and suggestions? I just want to play and this fucking pos game wont work.

19. Externalz

Externalz Member

Got the latest beta patch installed?

(95208)

http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php/

20. Linkin

Linkin Member

Latest beta patches are release candidates for the next actual patch, and are not backwards compatible with 1.60 - the new beta patches are 1.61/1.62