DC best video out option.

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Vanne, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Vanne

Vanne Member

So DC supports 15khz VGA, however, I don't have any monitors that support VGA these days, what's the best option for getting a good picture onto hdmi/ or component 480i/p out of it?

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Lots of possibilities there.

Generically, RGB/SCART out to a Shinybow SB-2840 will give you good quality 480i component out. I use this for most of my consoles:
    https://www.ani-av.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=220

WuZMoT likes this.
  3. Grant

Grant Member

I have a cheap eBay SCART RGB->Component adapter, it seems very sensitive to analogue tuning effects, where the screen will be tinted one or more of R/G/B, and it takes some wiggling of cables and bunny-ears-antenna style magic handling of the signal chain to get it to settle on a good white balance.

Does this one have similar problems with the connections at either side?

4. elvis

The Shinybow converters are excellent build quality, and I've never had an issue with colours shifting.

To my eye (which, without trying to sound like an arrogant turd, is more professionally trained for colour drift than most) it looks good. I haven't yet had a chance to test that objectively, either via a colorimeter or an oscilloscope. It's on my list to test, but again, to my eye the colour accuracy looks excellent.

I have heard terrible things about some third party units. There's one other non-Shinybow model out there made by a member of the shmups.com forums that rates well. But most of the Chinese made ones are known for being terrible.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  5. Grant

Grant Member

Purchased! Even with the US shipping it's reached the point where the better quality converter is worth the reduction of hassle for my setup :)

But back to the original question, I agree that RGB-Component adapter ->Component CRT is a great setup for any console with RGB output. The RGB-Component step can be done purely with analogue circuitry, and doesn't add any latency to the signal.

6. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

+1 for Shinybow SB-2840, I also ordered from Ani-AV.

Will Vanne need to combine sync for the DC ?

7. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Just heard my France PAL DC shipped, as did my GdEmu. :D and a few other DC goodies.

8. elvis

If you want 480p, yes.

If you want 480i, the DC changes to RGB/SCART mode, and spits out RGBS that the Shinybow accepts natively.

I read around the Internet that the SB-2840 doesn't care about resolution, and will just colourspace convert anything you throw at it. It also doesn't appear to mind stupid sync signals like composite-video-as-sync or TTL sync, which is handy if you've got one of those consoles that does that.

The clearer the signal quality in, the better the signal quality out, of course. I use cheap Chinese RGB cables into my Shinybow which aren't the greatest at delivering a clear picture. Better quality cables are always recommended, but I also get why people don't go out and buy top shelf cables for every system they own, especially when getting nice quality ones shipped from the US can end up costing you as much as this Shinybow device itself.

I'm sure everyone would love HDRetroVision.com or RetroGamingCables.co.uk cables for all their consoles. But I'm no millionaire either. :)

As it stands, the Shinybow converter coming down from over a hundred bucks to it's current price is the single reason I haven't bothered RGB modding any of my CRTs.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  9. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

I'm a fan of "Concord" cables from Jaycar. They are the dark blue ones with the silver plugs. I got the SCART cable for less than $10 a while ago, I assume because it's not HDMI nobody buys it and they are just trying to clear them.

I splurged on HDRetroVision cables for PS2 but that was mainly because I wanted to feed the best image I could into the Retrotink.

Vanne likes this.
  10. nimmers

nimmers Member

Vanne likes this.
  11. elvis

RGC make amazing cables, no doubt. The dude who runs it has his own injection moulding tools for the headers (cost him quite a lot to make) and uses great quality coax. There's a few interviews with him on channels like RetroRGB about the tools and processes he uses.

Downside is it's all expensive stuff, but that's totally understandable for the quality. If I had one particular console I played lots and lots, or wanted top shelf quality while streaming, it'd be a no-brainer. But I don't. :)

12. nimmers

nimmers Member

I just wanted something that would work with my extron and do RGBS for my multiformat monitor. These were cheaper than the toro box that people all rave about. Here's hoping it's good.

13. elvis

That's fair enough.

I've got a VGA box I bought YEARS ago off eBay for one DC, and a more compact cable I bought recently for another. Both go to SVGA PC monitors, and I've got no complaints about the image quality from either.

There are threads on these forums and elsewhere where people insist official Sega boxes and Toros are better, but I can't help but feel it's all in their heads. I work in and around media for a living, often judging the quality of expensive display outputs by eye. Specific to the Dreamcast, and to my trained eye, I can't see anything wrong with the devices I have versus raw/uncompressed captures I've seen from more expensive options.

Other cables - sure. My cheap chinese SNES cables are terrible compared to raw captures I've seen of RGC and HDRetroVision cables, as well as my MiSTer with VGA cables. Happy to admit that. Likewise I don't have a good 15KHz solution for either DC (just cheap Chinese SCART cables which are predictably bad).

Vanne likes this.
  14. nimmers

nimmers Member

Just got the mail to say they have started shipping the 480p SCART cables. Excited to try them!

Vanne likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Thanks for the input guys. Just looking on eBay today, and I see the oshdmi kits for DC come in at 150US, which is a little more than the sb-2840. Obviously you gotta do some modding to make that work, but just wondering. Most of my consoles have proper hdmi solutions, I wonder if that isn't the best way to go?

Failing that, also of interest to me is the Retrovision DC cable @39£, but then in its ypbR variety which isn't available yet, but soon will be, running that through my retrotink 2x.

Lots of options and lots of price ranges, I'd prefer the proper open source hdmi solution, but I am not sure if I am up to the task of installing that puppy..

16. power

power Member

only get a recommended VGA out if you want to go that way, I bought my DC off the forums and it came with some yumcha VGA box that displays jailbars. I got the Pound HDMI cable and that's better but I'm still not happy so I thought I'd quit fucking around and am just going to go the full DCHDMI route. Pure digital is the only way I will be happy. It's out of my realm of expertise for installation so i'm going to pony up for an install too.

Vanne likes this.
  17. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

I've modded a couple of GameCube's to the open source hdmi, so not a virgin in that regard, but the DC kit looks more difficult.

I'll have a think/look at it while I fly back to Dubai. Thanks for having me Sydney, it was a blast as always :)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019 at 11:48 AM
  18. power

power Member

i've just gotten to the point where i'm willing to spend the cash to get stuff sorted now. not stupid amounts but some of the fuzzy analogue stuff and noisy components is getting to me.

i've also got a new noctua fan to install and the shroud it on it's way, I'll do a Pico PSU then i'll move onto the GDEMU.

The only thing I reckon that doesn't bother me is cables (getting extensions) and no backlit VMU - but I am tempted.

Vanne likes this.
  19. elvis

I reckon fixing those up would be a fun project. Cut and reroute a few traces, some new caps, some copper tape to knock out interference.

My VGA box is also made from Chinesium, but I bought it 15+ years ago, before the retro gold rush. Quality is great. One day I'll get an oscilloscope and take a proper look at what's coming out.

20. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

I saw this thread and a tear came to my eye. All these options and awesome stuff happening, and I'm still using a boring old VGA box, and 17" CRT for the best the dreamcast can be..