DC GDEMU?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Vanne, May 7, 2019.

1. Vanne

Vanne Member

Hey guys/gals.. Bit pissed atm, as I just got home (last night) for a couple of days (read: 2 days in Sydney) and decided to pull out my DC collection and have a bit of a go.

Sooo pissed.. about half my collection of discs have had their covers broken (yes, the plastic covers suck on DC games) and some of the discs have come out of their boxes and are now nicely scratched.. :(

My mint copy of SC is wreaked :( disc is scratched to FCUK.

(not sure when this happened, probably during our move from Adelaide to Sydney back in 2009), but there it is. *snif*

So i am looking at viable options to either restore the discs or possibly dump them onto another storage option. Looking at the GDEMU for viability. Can anyone recommend me any options? anyone used GDEMU? My lasers still work fine on all 3 of my DC units, but probably only a mater of time.

(note , i searched, but couldn't find a DC specific sub forum, but thats possible to being jet lagged to the FCUK, so if there is, mods, please feel free to move this thread)

2. power

power Member

if you are going to GDEMU make sure you get a legit one not a clone.

and look after your shit.

Vanne likes this.
  3. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

4. power

power Member

also if you are GDEMUing, look into

pico PSU (you will need to power mod anyway)
    clock battery holder
    self healing controller board fuse
    silent fan mod (Noctua)
    and depending if the budget has run out wireless controller mod with backlit VMU and DCHDMI

5. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

With a rechargeable battery (costs about twice the price of a regular one, lasts 10 times as long).

Why not a clone? Other than potentially limited firmware updates, what's the harm?

6. power

power Member

the firmware updates is the number one reason.

7. rireland

rireland Member

This is what iso's are for, pretty sure the entire library was released.

8. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

the problem with some isos is that some of the game assets are of lower quality to allow the game to fit on a normal CD.

9. elvis

This. The Sega Dreamcast, NAOMI and related GD-ROM format was larger than any CD-ROM commercially available:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GD-ROM

In order to squeeze ~1GB worth of content onto 600-800MB CDs, many "scene" hackers would re-compress, resize or resample textures and audio. The end result was a very obvious visual downgrade in a number of games.

Other than GDEMU meaning you don't have to find a CD burner in 2019 or worry about laser fatigue, it also means you can play original raw GD-ROM rips without a loss of quality.

I wonder what the current firmware incompatibility and roadmap is like. I have some Googling to do this afternoon.

10. bolex17

bolex17 Member

I'm using a GDemu clone and have had no compatibility issues. You can't update the firmware but the current one does everything fine.

Vanne likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

thanks guys, absolutely not looking to play games at a lesser quality than the developers intended. Any other info on the Pico PSU upgrade? Is it required? Not sure if like a power brick hanging out the back of my DC?

12. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

This!!!
    I hear you, but it's a bit hard when all your shit is stored in different places around the globe with other peeps sometimes ...examining.. your stuff while your not there... :/

13. power

power Member

14. bolex17

bolex17 Member

Also watch this video by RetroRGB which covers most of the must do Dreamcast mods.

PsychoticOrc likes this.
  15. rireland

rireland Member

If i recall correctly many games were cd sized but used dummy data to fill the gdrom for copy protection.

16. power

power Member

and subsequently many are not.

17. elvis

There are certainly a number of games that are CD sized or less. There are also many that aren't (genuinely so, not padded). There will be a non-zero number of games you lose visual detail on if you only burn CD-R media.

Whether you can put up with that or not, is up to you. Speaking for myself, subjectively, I prefer playing games "as the creators intended". YMMV.

18. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

90 minute CDs exist for a reason. Mind you some ISOs wont play nice with discjuggler eg Rez.

Wireless controller on a DC is just wrong IMHO.

19. elvis

99 minute CD-R are the largest I know of, and clock in at 870MB. Still short of the full 1GB capable from GD-ROM.

By all means, use CD-R. But there do exist titles that will not fit without extra lossy compression (plus most you find on less reliable sites are all compressed for 650MB media).

And regardless, the benefits of an ODE far outweigh just the argument of CD-ROM vs GD-ROM. They are, for all intents, a "flash cart" for the Dreamcast, and carry similar conveniences (not to mention never having to worry about laser degredation, which is a guaranteed thing for all hardware over time).

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  20. darkmenace

darkmenace Member

Anyone able to recommend a GDEMU clone that’s actually easy to purchase, doesn’t take 18 months to arrive and costs less than the price of 3 DC consoles on ebay?

I’m only an occasional gamer, so ultimate bells and whistles not required.