1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

DC Hosting for Mining Rigs

Discussion in 'Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Mining' started by OhFoRkMe, Jun 28, 2020.

1. OhFoRkMe

OhFoRkMe Member

Hi All,

Seen a few mobs are doing DC Hosting for all different types of mining rigs. With some using renewable energy to offset the cost of power.

With power costs in Australia much higher than other countries, has anyone looked into something like this?

Also noticed some hosting is available offshore as well but not sure how I would feel having a couple grand of kit sitting OS.

2. fad

fad Member

I will take a guess there aren't be any in AU. A DC which would have the required power density would charge $200/month for 1RU. A rig would tkae 2-3RU, unless you bought rack servers. $400/month cost, I don't think your mining would make any money.

I remember a youtube channel of someone in the US tearing down his mining operation. It was a warehouse, and when the price was up it was doing well. It only lasted a few months before it was not worth doing. Basically you need to find someone which will charge just the cost of power and a very small amount, to house it in a warehouse. A DC has too many systems which cost too much money. Including fire protection, when was the last time you say a bit coin mine with fire protection?

With power costs in Australia, I don't think its profitable to mine without colo costs, let alone with. It must be nice to live in a country with 7.5c/kw or less.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/263492/electricity-prices-in-selected-countries/

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  3. Azrael

Azrael Member

4. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Even with solar it's not worth mining. You'll make more bitcoin by exporting your energy to the grid and buying bitcoin with the money you make.

5. slavewone

slavewone Member

The mining company I invested into when bitcoin was $15 and ASICS were infants, went well for several years with 500TH. It was hosted at megabigpower and ran off largely cheap hydropower.

When difficulty rose, they looked for cheaper hosting and power and shipped everything to Venezuela where things got off to a great start.

From time to time, the custom boards turn up for sale because the entire farm was liberated by local gangs.

https://picostocks.com/report/112

Is 2020, the only people making money out of mining rigs are the ones selling them.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  6. Jaco

Jaco Member

There are a couple of people in our facility who are running AntMiners, but these are the ones that are doing "90c a day on $5 electrical cost" (asicminervalue) - so I just assume they're running it for the sake of it and there's air conditioning

With colo prices you usually have an allotment of power that comes with it - and it certainly can't withhold any profitable mining setup

I have a couple of unsellable 1070s running in my 2RU as they lost their display, after a month (on paper) it only knocks about $30 off the overall hosting bill