1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

DCS World Thread

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by josh_676, Aug 6, 2016.

1. josh_676

josh_676 Member

I couldn't find a thread already.

I'm getting back into it pretty hard at the moment, doing quite well at mastering the basics of the A10C and playing multiplayer, it is life in the slow lane, but rewarding...

I'm running an old X52 and considering a Thrustmaster Warthog.

Anyone else playing?

I've got a Steam install with the Caucus maps and stand alone with Nevada.

2. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

I've been playing DCS ever since the a10c came out. I don't play multi but rather just like to stuff around in singleplayer.

Currently have a G940 HOTAS and a DK2 Oculus Rift.. hopefully on monday it'll be upgraded to a CV1..

3. OP
    OP
    josh_676

josh_676 Member

How do you find the VR side of the house?

I'm really wanting to grab the VIVE or similar simply for DCS, but I can't help but think a future generation of gear will be better suited...

4. r8response

r8response Member

I remember buying Lock On: Modern Air Combat when it was released, the very early predecessor to DCS.

Wonder if my old serial number (if I could actually find it) would work?

5. OP
    OP
    josh_676

josh_676 Member

I remember LOMAC.

DCS is best played with the buyable planes, even at 50 USD (they go on special reguarly) they are good value.

You could spend a hundred hours and still be a Novice on the stand alone aircraft.

6. Zee

Zee Member

I've recently discovered DCS world. I have a Warthog, track IR, and VKB pedals, looking at starting off with the A10c, and perhaps the new F5 Tiger expansions.

After that, I'm holding on tight for the F-14 by Leathernecks, my all time favourite aircraft. Based on their text, I am hopeful they include carrier based gameplay.

Z...

7. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

If you're a new player to DCS world, it's currently in a state of feature creep.

It was initially developed as LOMAC but has been transformed over the years via various updates. It still uses the ancient Caucasus map from LOMAC that hasn't aged very well. That said, if there was one module I'd put on the list to buy and that is Nevada (NTTR). The detail is astonishing and doesn't use cheap tricks like low-res satellite data to fill in for buildings. Caucasus map is 3gb whereas Nevada is 26gb.

At the moment, ED is currently updating the caucasus map to near NTTR detail.. ie, the current caucaus map you can't crash into trees. They're hoping to release by the end of 2016 but don't hold your breath.

I own most of the modules, and my favourites are the Huey, P51 and Mirage 2000. The huey is a beast to fly and takes a lot of coordination to get right. I love just flying down the strip in the huey between buildings. The mirage is awesome fun, and the power of the engines is astonishing. Utterly gorgeous module with so much to learn. Even small details like going supersonic, the jet sound reduces in intensity and feels like you're gliding through air.. Pull a high-g turn, the sound changes into a deep rumble followed by going back to subsonic.. and the growl of the jet returns..

That said, it's a huge contrast to that of the F5.. small and nimble, it's avionics are quite dated.

I wouldn't hold your breath for any new modules.. Well, not the ones we all want. Anyone who's played DCS for a while knows that these things take forever. But, there is nothing else like it.. I'm just happy to try new planes and take joyflights.

8. Zee

Zee Member

I did see a youtube review of the Huey module, I must say, it did look fun. Ssoo.. What are you using for the collective?

I may have to add the Huey to my "must have" list.

The Nevada range looks awesome, if for no other reason than the fact that I've spent a long time around that area, and know it quite well. Would be very cool to see just how well it translates.
    Z...

9. [AOB]TommO

[AOB]TommO Member

I'm going to be on the flip side of the fence here - I've played this game extensively but using the 'easy' version of some planes, primarily the F15C. It's a load of fun and enjoyable to play. There's some free downloadable campaigns for the F15C which are excellent and challenging, and a good place to start. I just don't think I'm dedicated enough to put the time required into the complex flight model aircraft, and I've only got a $90 HOTAS joystick which I'd imagine doesn't make things easier.

I own the P51D and the A10C but haven't played them all that much, apart from enough to know I crash often :) I do know the start sequence to the P51D though! I used the BlackShark years ago too, also an excellent model and a real challenge to learn. Getting a hit on an enemy feels like christmas time!

I'd definitely recommend jumping into multiplayer or custom maps with friends to learn more and have challenges - participating in single player games gets pretty boring after a while.

10. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

I have a Logitech G940 HOTAS so just use the throttle on that and invert the axis.. it's got a couple of other sliders so I use one for the throttle.. It's close enough..

[​IMG]

I've played the nevada map a lot, so much so, I had to go there and see how it translated, and they did a really good job. It's not totally accurate but for the most part the strip is awesome and has most of the big hotels etc.. I would've liked to have seen them include the bellagio water fountains but the map is still alpha so who knows what may change.

Oh, the lighting at night on NTTR is really well done.. Sure there's no neon signs etc, but it's still quite an atmospheric look of vegas..

Rubberband likes this.
  11. Zee

Zee Member

So, am I to understand that once you have a an aircraft module, you can pay it on any map module? ie - if I have a Huey, I can fly it around Vegas?

I'm sure I can make my Warthog work for the Huey, though I'd love to build a proper collective... Currently int he process of designing a coffee table that hide a "cockpit" set up, that can be converted to car/aircraft.

Our new place in Manila is kinda tiny, I'm still working out where I'm actually going to hide my PC, and how I'll get USB cables to the chair (USB-Ethernet is my current theory, but we'll see how that goes).

I'm also hearing excellent things about the CV-1 with DCS, so may hold off on the huge screen TV for now and invest in a rift, but we'll see... Anyway, I'm quite excited to have discovered DCS, it seems like what I dreamed of when I was playing Falcon on my Atari ST back in the late 80's...

Creative use of a horse, btw... Almost as ghetto as my chair!

This side is something I'm also interested in - the older prop planes look like awesome fun, there is something about old school combat I really enjoy. I'm quite focused on learning to fly the more complex models first, though (I know htis sounds counter intuitive, but anyway, I like to break my brain, and then ease off when I figure things out).

Multi-player is a huge draw for me, it's my childhood fantasy, so once I learn to fly...
    Z...

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  12. Zee

Zee Member

Got my VKB MK III T-rudder pedals today. Happy happy joy joy! Now to ween my brain off twist to yaw...

Z...

13. OP
    OP
    josh_676

josh_676 Member

I'm minorly proficent in the A10C now (Start up, Nav, counter measures, CCIP bombing, CCRP bombing gunning and rocketing).

Starting to try and learn the F15C, BVR seems easy enough, I find it hard to find the aircraft visually once merged (using the Joystick hat to look around the cockpit).

This game chews up a lot of hours...

14. Zee

Zee Member

I'm, erm.. still reading the manual - have yet to even click the A10C module in game...

I also need to set up my Warthog and pedals in game.

I think I'll keep stats on ho wmany times I crash the thing before I actually manage to take off.

Also, how many hours I spend in game before I actually manage to get the thing to taxi...

Z...

15. SneakyBastd

SneakyBastd Member

You might find mouse look easier? But seriously, first thing I'd do is jump on eBay (or make one yourself) for something like this:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/OpenTrack-F...ro-Head-Tracking-Alternative-WH-/151751230838

That's the one I used until I got VR, and it was a different world. A MASSIVE improvement. Best $50 I ever spent. You will need to mess around a bit getting opentrack software to work just right for you, but it's cheap and works great.
    However if ANY direct sunlight gets into the cameras view it will not be able to track. Make sure the room is void of direct sunlight.
    TRACKIR is better again but much pricier, so fook that.

A second monitor with checklists or youtube vids playing is also VERY useful when starting out. You can play DCS and copy what you see on screen #2 without alt-tabbing every 2 seconds.

16. adz

adz Member

I bought a full Saitek setup (X55 Rhino with pedals) and Track IR with the intention of getting into DCS and Falcon BMS, shame I never seem to have enough spare time to devote to either of these :(

17. Zee

Zee Member

I got my Track IR 5 off these forums for $50. Does the job ok until I get VR and a 1080...

Z...

18. OP
    OP
    josh_676

josh_676 Member

So I threw myself into the A10C and started flying missions online, was the number two or three in a flight, I got pretty good at employing the weapons systems.

full start ups radios nav etc.

Now I didn't touch it for 2 months, and I can't even remember how to start it.

:thumbdn:

I bought the Mirage 2000, the MI28 and the MIG 21.

I don't know how to fly them beyond just puttering around in them, but thoughts are

MI28 - big fat pig to fly which I haven't mastered
    Mirage 2000 - fly by wire makes it like a dream to fly, so easy.
    Mig21 - Is an absolute pig, engine flames out if you do negative G's or keep it in the red too long, and the flight model is unforgiving. - Really like it though, fun to fly.

19. /\pocalypse

/\pocalypse Member

If you need help learning aircraft modules then a good place to start is with Chuck's Tutorial Library. He has created an 'in-depth' quick guide to all the important bits of using each module.

When I play DCS it's almost exclusively online and almost always on the AEF Australia Playground server.

Not long now till the Viggen is released.

and the Spitfire in 2 weeks

20. Zee

Zee Member

I'm hanging out for the F-14 module. The Viggen looks fun, wonder if there will be a Eurofighter module...

Z...

Edit - yup, there is, 2017 it seems, along with the F/A-18

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016