1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

DCS World Thread

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by josh_676, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Rainey

Rainey Member

Heads up for DCS newcomers or existing fans..

The modules (and terrains) are currently on special on the DCS website at cheaper than Steam prices, which is also the better place to buy from as the non-steam version allows for all content compatibility.

Just bought Nevada, FC3 and the Mirage 2000. :thumbup:

2. Sledge

Sledge Member

Those prices are NUTS !!
    i would like to play this.. but no way in hell am i paying those prices per plane !!
    same as subscriptions for games like iRacing etc.. no way !!

3. OP
    OP
    josh_676

josh_676 Member

Sledge - You only need to buy one module as it takes that long to learn it, never mind master it.

I spent about two months (probably 200 hours) and could execute missions and strikes, but I wouldn't say I mastered the jet...

4. Rainey

Rainey Member

Well yep, it's expensive but you gotta appreciate the level of detail and programming that goes into something like this. DCS has grown out of LOMAC and from what I can see each aircraft is not just skin and bones but it goes deeper than that.

5. Sledge

Sledge Member

probably too hard for me then anyway....

6. OP
    OP
    josh_676

josh_676 Member

They also have base level free aircraft that are a hoot to fly and relatively simple.

The big thing is play online with people who can teach you how to operate the radar chaff and notch the enemy.

Meanwhile I'll just be flying my A10 slowly slowly.

7. Kung_F00L

Kung_F00L Member

Bit of a thread revival. But anyone enjoying the F-18 as much as I am? :)

Looking for some online flying groups/clans to get the most out of the game. Anyone able to recommend any groups?

8. Rainey

Rainey Member

I was overseas when it released but I finally found the time to give it a whirl. Feels great to fly, beautiful and smooth but with some character. Very impressive! The Persian Gulf map is beautiful too, I wish the rest of the maps looked like that.

I bought the Harrier, and the Mustang while the sales were on (probably still on sale). So I have plenty to do in the sim now.

9. Kung_F00L

Kung_F00L Member

Picked up the Harrier and Huey on sale too :)
    Also great fun to fly.
    And agree, the new map is stunning and quite expansive.

Rainey likes this.
  10. WRX_STi

WRX_STi Member

Carrier take offs are awesome but overall I find myself back inside the Mirage every time, it's just more fun.
    Most nights I run a server called Aussie Beer o'clock with 4-5 mates and sometimes another bunch of Randoms join I don't care to password it, teamspeak info in description but lately we have been in IL-2 so it hasn't been up.

Love the new Map, but it's soo much Nevada over again, I miss green.

11. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

So who plays DCS with VR?

In my travels I came across this mod that simplifies a number of shaders.. gives a nice bump in frames and even for me, on a 1080ti, it's noticably smoother in high density areas.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=215373

As always, make sure you backup your Bazar folder..

WRX_STi likes this.
  12. Kung_F00L

Kung_F00L Member

I don't play in VR yet. But am considering it!

I find it really hard to spot enemy aircraft in visual range. Wish DCS had some type of auto scaling for entities.

13. Zee

Zee Member

I have not played in so long... I'd been learning to fly in the Mig 15, now I can barely remember how to get the thing running.

Don't ask how many aircraft I have that I have yet to even install (let alone fire up). The F-18 is one of them...

Z...

14. WRX_STi

WRX_STi Member

I will have a look at this thanks, I only fly in VR I feel disabled on a monitor.

15. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

It's a pretty decent mod. I find zipping around low level around vegas and dubai to be an absolute blast now. The sense of speed is incredible.

I've also started to dabble a bit in IL2 Sturmovik, Battle of Stalingrad/Moscow/Kuban.. Dogfighting in VR is just so much fun, especially with the superb damage models.. recently went on special on steam for about $20 for the base game, Stalingrad..

WRX_STi likes this.
  16. WRX_STi

WRX_STi Member

Mate I got IL-2 in the steam summer sale and it's insanely awesome in VR, you can belly land planes that won't fly anymore and it's so much fun, in DCS I try that and explode.

17. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Yeah.. the whole physics/damage thing is light years ahead of DCS in that regard. I find that it's a much better 'game' than DCS will ever be, rather than just a study sim. I've never really understood why DCS doesn't have a proper single player game. The mission editor doesn't really count as you know when/where enemies will pop up and the idea of buying campaigns is just too pricey.

WRX_STi likes this.
  18. Murmandamus

Murmandamus Member

I've never tried the DLC missions or single player stuff. I just play on the Through the Inferno server which has dynamic PvE missions for all modern types so you can just jump in and go for whatever kind of target you like without having to faff about.

The Gazelle is my favourite in VR. It's not very powerful but I think being able to see so much out or the cockpit adds a lot to the experience. Especially when flying through valleys, or through the cities on Persian Gulf.

Tried that performance mod but got shader crashes on persian gulf so I took it out.

19. WRX_STi

WRX_STi Member

Whilst I love DCS and have spent over a grand on everything in there, I agree with you. They spend 5 years plus on a module and they don't even deliver fully.
    Imagine if IL-2 had some modern planes or Helicopters, i'd fall over. But I know its a WW2 game haha.

I now fly the Dreamfoil Bell 407 in XPlane 11 more as it has better flight dynamics than DCS Helis and I can go anywhere in the world.

20. WRX_STi

WRX_STi Member

Mines broken as all shit in VR now I can't click anything on the bottom half of the screen. Stupid update.