DDR4 RAM coming December

Discussion in 'Memory' started by vid_ghost, Nov 20, 2013.

1. vid_ghost

vid_ghost Member

RAM going DDR4 starting next month - http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2013/11/16/ram_going_ddr4_starting_next_month

Crucial DDR4 SDRAM Memory Shipping Before Years End - http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/crucial-ddr4-sdram-memory-shipping-before-years-end-18-11-2013/

Crucial Claims Faster, Lower Power DDR4 Memory Could Ship Before Year End - http://hothardware.com/News/Crucial...Power-DDR4-Memory-Could-Ship-Before-Year-End/

We could see it on Haswel-E as the first consumer platform then High end FX Steamroller *2015 :Paranoid: maybe even APU's in 2014
    Servers and enterprise will be the main customers at first. But DDR3 has had a good run and its time it got replaced with something more efficient, faster and dense. DDR4 is looking at 16GB per stick so 128GB of DDR4 ram on consumer boards with 8 dim slots

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  2. hairy

hairy Member

yay! about time we got more ram..... now what the fudge will I do with it ?
    speed boost is more than welcome.

3. lawrencep93

lawrencep93 Member

Does that mean we will need to wait for new CPU's to come out in 2014 + new motherboard to use it?

Or do you think that some board will come out with current CPU's like the 2011 range?

4. mmBax

mmBax Member

^I'm curious to know this also.

I'm overdue for an upgrade, and I figured I'd hold out until ddr4 until I stepped up. But I'd like to have something on the go before Feb '14, so I may just have to get case/ psu/ hdds and wait for the rest of it.

5. kesawi

kesawi Member

From the end of the Afterdawn article

6. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

New CPUs, I expect. Intel hasn't said anything about their existing memory controllers being able to handle DDR4, and since the memory controller is on the CPU you'll need a new CPU.

AMD might use it for the APUs (where the extra RAM bandwidth would help the GPU a fair bit) but I can't see it being used for the FX chips any time soon. Too much money to implement it, and AMD doesn't have any money to spare.

7. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Current cpus don't have ddr4 controllers, so you have to wait.

8. mmBax

mmBax Member

But if the tech is due out in Jan. You'd expect CPU manufacturers to have the technology before it got released to the public?

9. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

10. Reaper

Reaper Member

The jump was better from ddr2 - ddr3 than ddr3 - ddr4. :)

11. mmBax

mmBax Member

12. 2_stroke

2_stroke Member

It looks like it going to be to rich for most of us for some time to come but that the way with everything that new. I don't think it's really going to effect myself as a gamer that much fps wise for sometime to come so i doubt ill be rushing for it. Lol will be great for bench's though:D

13. primalnuke

primalnuke Member

Will there actually be a noticeable difference upon DDR3?

14. ~Llama~

~Llama~ Member

That depends on your uses.

Memory heavy applications will definitely see a boost in speed, but if you're gaming, for example, I doubt you'd notice the difference.

15. swiss time

swiss time Member

3D graphics?

I render stuff in maxwell render and lightwave.

I might notice the difference. Maybe . :rolleyes:

16. Alpha2k6

Alpha2k6 Member

17. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

Like the jump from DDR2 to 3, less volts/power more performance.

To this extent, even though we thought at one stage DDR2 was good, after a few years you'd begin to notice DDR2 starting to lag a bit.

18. desudesu

desudesu Member

just wondering why it takes a couple of years before DDR4 or DDR5 to be on the production line for PC's, is the whole architecture different?

since gfx have been using DDR5 for a year or two now thought that the production line for them would be big enough.

19. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

GDDR5 is not just DDR5 with a "G" for Graphics placed in front of it. Ignore the number, it's just simply denotes it as being version 5 in the GDDR line and is in no way comparable to desktop DDR numbering. GDDR5 is actually based off DDR3 but has a different architecture to make it more suitable for graphic chip requirements (voltages, bus width etc).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GDDR5

20. desudesu

desudesu Member

ah i see thanks, well looking forward to the new DDR4 stuff but doubt i would be able to afford it any time soon x58 still doing well apart from loosing out on the sata 3 native support