1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

DDR5

Discussion in 'Memory' started by micsway123, Oct 14, 2021.

1. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

Ah, answered some of my own questions after listening to some buildzoid rants, tRDRDSD and tWRWRSD are for 'same DIMM' and tRDRDDD and tWRWRDD are for 'different DIMM'. Only relevant for two stick per channel or dual rank sticks, so they're fine at auto - or in my case 1 (though I've set them suitable for DR in future).

Looks like I can lower my SCLs and my tRAS to 28, and reroll.

6200C30-GDM-off-final.png

edit2: both of those changes were unstable (including trying SCL's at 6 6).

These are my final numbers;

6200C30-GDM-off-final.png

Looks like Buildzoids 'should run on all Hynix kits' timings were too tight, so basically back to where I was before. Though you can see that there is basically no difference with the lower SCL and tRAS, same latency with marginally more write bandwidth (if it's not just run to run variance).

My sticks are quite old (November 2022) so maybe newer sticks can take lower numbers. Or maybe Buildzoid has been somewhat removed from the common people with all these golden IC sample kits he's sent for free :p.

Based off all the internetting I've been doing, I would probably set something close to what I have ended up with for all Hynix kits as your starting point at 6000C30, with your XMP/EXPO tRCDWR/tRCDRD/tRP values, and tRC calculation (probably 38 38 38 68 respectively in most cases), then try for higher freq, lower cas, and 28 tRAS, 6 6 or 4 4 SCL.

Once it's all sorted, dial in your tRFC from 500 down to its lowest stable point (for me that's 380), set your tRFC2 to 0.8x tRFC, and tRFCsb to 0.6x tRFC (though I don't think these do anything, it looks nicer). Start with tREFI at 50000, and if it lets you, change it to 65535.

I also ran C28 for a test, dropped my latency ~ 1ns and margin of error gains in bandwidth, I think there is a bottleneck elsewhere and it's not really worth running the extra juice, but I'll probably dial it in anyway.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2024
  2. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

These are my final figures (for now).

6200C28, FLCK of 2066.

6200c28-memtest-stable.png
    After a single memory error, I decided that I didn't trust the tRAS/tRC not following the rules of tRAS=tRCD+tRTP & tRC=tRAS+tRP. Also since after running back to back AIDA64 tests and there being no difference, I figured it was worth setting it 'correctly'.

In doing so I also decided if I was going to go through the memtest process again, I might as well drop my tCL to 28 for some more gains.

On top of this, after a bit of reading there is some dispute over whether FCLK is completely detached from UCLK, or as other have claimed, whether it is best at UCLK/1.5. After running some AIDA64 tests, I found that my latency was lowest at the UCLK/1.5 speed of 2066Mhz. There was a negligible drop in read bandwidth (a few hundred MB/s consistently) but I think it's worth. This might be more of a concern on those with a single CCD, but not for me.

glnn_23 and OJR like this.
  3. OJR

OJR Member

Good info! DDR5 RAM clocking is a complex and time consuming beast.

SKITZ0_000 likes this.
  4. Zarok77

Zarok77 Member

that mobo rocks . is that a 4 dimm ?

5. glnn_23

glnn_23 Member

Zarok77 and OJR like this.
  6. Zarok77

Zarok77 Member

7. Ck21

Ck21 Member

got some new ram delivered today, saying goodbye to the placeholder/starter 64gb DDR5 pack(s) the crucial 4800mhz CL40 sticks, say hello to my new fancy and theme compatible T.create 6400mhz CL34 sticks by teamgroup.

so far: Ive set XMP to profile 1 and saved & exit, boom she boots into windows without a hitch.... now to test stability and tweak and see what i can get out of them :)

newram1.jpg newram2.jpg newram3.jpg newram4.jpg

Trizae and Elmf like this.
  8. Maverick5

Maverick5 Member

is there an easy way to tell who makes the chips on memory? I know the kit I have is Hynix but how do I tell if it's a die or m die?

F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR

9. integralfx

integralfx Member

There should be a string above the barcode on the sticks

Last 3 characters tell you the manufacturer and revision

20A = Hynix A
    20M = Hynix M

Maverick5 likes this.
  10. l_ QuadX_l

l_ QuadX_l Member