Dead 3.5" HDDs

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by AxlOz, Jul 15, 2015.

1. AxlOz

AxlOz Member

Hi guys, for some reason I seem to have very little luck with 3.5" mechanical HDD's - then I realise I'm probably asking too much of them.. My how the years go by quickly. My new rule of thumb: don't expect a mechanical HDD to last longer then 3 years.

After yelling at a recently deceased HDD I decided to see what the online community has to say about this and came across this artice.

It's ~18 months old now, but I thought I'd share here in case any other OCAU'ers have similar frustrations. I'm glad to see someone is out there doing this research though!

2. AusTerror

AusTerror Member

I still have a few 200GB seagates that are operating well....

3. OP
    OP
    AxlOz

AxlOz Member

Back up anything you wanna keep then! :thumbup:

4. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

My 115MB hdd still works from well over 20 years ago.

5. McRutch

McRutch Member

its not always as plain and simple as you'd think..

about 8 years ago, i was using cheap pci sata expansion cards and sata port multipliers..

hard drives failed all the time.. (was running about 16x 2TB WD drives)

fast forward to today, i use adaptec raid controllers, and have everything on UPS (running 48 hard drives instead of 16)..

can't remember my last drive failure..

touch wood

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  6. tommykw_wd

tommykw_wd New Member

Hi @AxlOz, it's recommended that you keep a backup of your important data at all times. Backing up your data protects you in case of a computer virus, data corruption, hardware issues, or electrical problems.

Important: Always remember that "backup" means that you have your data stored in at least two (2) locations. Moving data from your system drive to an external hard drive is not a backup, unless there is already a duplicate of the file on a different drive.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

7. aokman

aokman Member

Here's my current talley of dead drives lol 4 x 4tb seagate and 1 x 2tb WD XE series. Got one dead Hitachi 2tb from years ago as well floating around somewhere. Basically every Hitachi I have owned has been replaced for size before they ever got near failing

[​IMG]

Best things I have found for drive longevity is ensuring arrays are rubber dampened to isolate the drives from each other, ensure you have a UPS and don't buy Seagate.