Dead discrete gfx chip - possible to bypass?

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by congoh, Sep 8, 2019.

1. congoh

congoh Member

Hi,

I have a Toshiba Satellite L850 i5-3210m CPU laptop with dead HD7670m discrete graphics GPU.

I don't get a video and when I connect the laptop to external screen I get "no video input" message.

I've looked into reflowing GPU with heatgun on youtube as 1 possible repair solution.

However, before disassembling the laptop I want to know if it is possible to disable discrete gfx chip so laptop will output video via integrate graphics chip.

Can anyone tell me whether this is feasible?
    If yes, what keyboard combination do I use to do this?

Thanks in advance for you help.

2. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

No it's not possible. I very much doubt attempting to reflow the gpu will help either, given the framebuffer's still output via the intel graphics. Sounds more likely your entire logic board is dead. Have you been able to remote desktop into it?

3. wwwww

wwwww Member

If your laptop has the MXM version of the card then just remove the card, but as Quadbox said I doubt the discrete gfx is your problem.

4. OP
    OP
    congoh

congoh Member

No, I can't see anything (no video output on screen or external LCD) so I can't even log in and I disabled remote desktop.
    Bummer. Looks like I'm going to have to disassemble this and get down and dirty.
    I saw a youtube vid where the author resurrected a HP G6 by knocking out a capacitor on PCB thus cutting power to discrete AMD gfx chip and forcing bios to use integrated gfx.
    Given the age of this laptop, I think I'll just upgrade and use this as hobby project.

Thanks for your help.

5. Hater

Hater Member

MacBook Pro's had this issue as well. There are hacks for those to disable the discreet card using software, surely the same can be done here?

6. OP
    OP
    congoh

congoh Member

I saw those youtube vids.
    That's why I asked here hoping for something similar but it appears this is not the case for windows eco sys.

7. Hater

Hater Member

Throw Linux on it and try the OS X method maybe

8. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

I guess it might work to find the VEN\DEV id and delete it from every INF - plus the drivers that go with it, install it offline, disable the adapter and then try.

That is, assuming vga works in the first place.

9. OP
    OP
    congoh

congoh Member

I can't try anything as there is no video output on laptop screen or via external monitor (vga cable).
    Only reason I know this laptop isn't "dead" is because cpu fan kicks in when threshold temp is reached and indicator lights for power/battery and wifi light up.

10. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

If you can be bothered with the time, the oven trick is about all that might work.

11. OP
    OP
    congoh

congoh Member

I've read about/seen youtube vids this oven trick working with gfx card and circuit boards but only have access to oven in my kitchen and not prepared to contaminate it with plastic fumes.

I've read of people succeeding with heatgun and even electric iron.
    I've already tried with hair dryer so I'm going to try electric iron and see if that works.