Death Stranding - Hideo Kojima

Discussion in 'Sony Consoles' started by power, Dec 2, 2016.

1. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

i think the fog adds to this too.

2. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

Ok guys, I'm still in chapter 3, because I'm completionisting areas one and two, but I have over 50 hours of gameplay. I've got a pretty good handle on the systems of the game, so I'll spoiler tag my nuggets of wisdom.

Sneaking through a black timefall or not?:
    Sneaking through a black timefall (a timefall with BTs) on normal and below difficulty is a waste of time. The most efficient way to cross one of these, PLUS keep your cargo damage free is to backtrack OUT of the zone with your cargo, be it a vehicle, floating carrier etc. Drop off the cargo, and head back into the timefall with 2 packs of hematic grenades and a blood bag. Get caught by the first BT you can find. Don't fight them, just get dragged to the catcher (the BT Whale/animal) and then kill it. The timefall will stop for around 20-30 minutes, or until you rest next. Claim all the dropped chiral crystals, sprint back to your cargo, and continue unimpeded. Takes about 1 minute to be caught and kill the catcher. Much more time efficient than sneaking, plus you get a big chiral crystal influx.

Cargo damage/container durability:
    Your cargo containers rapidly age in a timefall. They will lose durability as a result, which can be repaired via container repair spray OR a timefall shelter (unless you're in a Bridges truck which has sealed cargo area, which wont repair the cargo inside the truck, you will need to offload it) This is NOT cargo damage which you're rated on. It's only like a... buffer/armour rating for the cargo damage amount if you DO trip, fall, crash. For example, you could carry something carefully from point a to point b, losing the entire container durability to timefall, not repair it, deliver the cargo with zero container durability and still get a 0% dmg rating for the delivery. The only thing timefalls destroy is equipment and vehicles.

How to avoid BT's:
    If you're hell bent on sneaking through a black timefall, there's quite a few ways to increase your likelihood of success. One, you can PISS on the BT's. Not kidding, they don't like getting pissed on like any normal person. The BT slowly stalking you will turn tail and return to it's starting location. Handy if you've drawn breath a little too close to a BT. You can also use the EX grenades 0, 1 and 2 for the same purpose. Another useful thing is the Bola gun. If you shoot a BT with it, it will get stuck in place for long enough for you to just walk/sprint past it as loud as you want with no fear of chase. Also, Sandleweed is quieter to walk in than boots. Stock up on that stuff, and wear it whenever you need to sneak.

Getting cool stuff:
    The Chiral Artist's Mother, the Craftsman and the Junk Dealer in chapter 3 have some fun/excellent gifts for you that can't be fabricated. (Amongst others). After a certain star rating, the Chiral Artist's Mother will start giving you Chiral Boots. Grippier, more durable and also chiral gold in colour. You can get multiple pairs, just keep doing standard deliveries (I do as many deliveries I can as Premium difficulty, so I don't know if that's a requirement or not) to her She also unlocks the chiral gold colour scheme for vehicles. The Craftsman gives out Custom Hematic Grenades, and the Junk Dealer gives out chiral gold ladders. It doesn't hurt to keep doing deliveries to 5 star connections if they gift things you like.

MULEs:
    FUCKING EXCELLENT source of stuff, the mule camps. Easiest way to take down multiples, is to equip a smoke decoy container, and carry 1 or two remote stun bombs. Go inside their scanner range, get pinged, drop the smoke decoy, and affix a remote stun bomb to it. Run away, but stay within visual range of the cargo so you can spring your trap when you need to. The Mules will run up to the decoy, kicking it open and getting disoriented, then you double whammy them with a nice dose of AoE electricity for sleepy times. You MAY still have some MULEs at their camp, so you might need to repeat this process. FYI, you call use the callout function (mash the touchpad) to attract their attention from afar. Another way to fight MULEs is to hold a piece of unwanted cargo in your right arm (Holding down R2), and just press Square. You'll insta-KO the hapless deranged delivery dude. Pick up his dropped cargo, rinse and repeat. Another combat tip is to bum rush a MULE by holding down L2+R2 and pressing Square. You'll break their guard allowing you to mash Square for the eventual melee KO. Once EVERY MULE in a camp is knocked out, in Chapter 3 and beyond, Porters (they look like white MULES, and Odradek scanning them shows them as non-enemy, be nice to them, seriously) will spawn and start walking through the MULE zones to do deliveries. MULES stay knocked out for either HOURS of real time, or minutes depending on your difficulty settings, or 1 rest period.

Chapter 3, Roads:
    Seriously, build every single one. When you make your way down to Craftsman, the road branches west too. Ultra efficient way to move trucks and bulk cargo around, plus you get stupid crazy amounts of likes, which equates to XP for you between order hand ins.

Mash that like button:
    Not a spoiler, but yeah, smash it rapidly for the alloted time, don't just press it once.

Chiral Crystals:
    Not a spoiler, but a lot of people don't seem to understand its the only zero weight material you can carry limitless amounts of. Excellent for impromptu repairs of structures as you wander around.

Are a form of XP. You get received likes banked when you do a delivery. You also have an unlimited supply of them, so like and repair everything real players build as much as you can, and be kind to everyone except
    Mules, Terrorists and BTs

Saves:
    No save is overwritten, and they're around 12meg each. Go through your PS4 occasionally and delete all but the last save, and the user profile file, otherwise you'll fill up your storage and online save storage with redundant save files.

Skipping cutscenes:
    Press Option, then Skip for repeatable cutscenes (drinking Monster, recycling cargo etc)

Bridges hat:
    Reduces stamina consumption. Wear it.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  3. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

some good tips there, i played another few hours last night and honestly don't know how people have "finished" the game with such short playtimes - these people did not imo "play" the game they just ran through the story as quickly as possible. There are hours and hours of content here. I'm still in area two myself, i mostly want to complete the road.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    Drizz06 likes this.
  4. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

SIf not play on hard, half the fun is stressing out sneaking around BTs.

5. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

i tell you what stresses me out, accidentally crashing - last night i was blasting around doing really well got a bit lazy and fell off the side of a small bridge - thankfully i was able to drive it out. over commiting the trucks and getting them stuck while hard is possible - i did however get a truck stuck up on a rock, completed the delivery on foot came back and the rock had vanished which was super helpful!

another tip for the list above, do drive your vehicles under the repair umbrella things to automagically repair everything inside the vehicle without having to bother about the spray.

Drizz06 likes this.
  6. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

the bts are pretty annoying. I'm over having to ditch my vehicles I'm just gonna blast those fools with grenades

7. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

i think going forward i'm going to just not avoid them, jump out of the truck, get captured, gren them and then resume what i was doing. the whale/squid things seem easy to kill (at least where i am at the moment).

8. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

Hey Power, the sealed Bridges trucks don't allow repair INSIDE them, so driving under a timefall shelter doesn't work.

9. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

that makes sense, i just thought none of my stuff needed repair - bit of a pain really.

oh and on your MULE camp tip, i'm playing on normal and most of the time i just punch everyone. there might be a couple i have to hit with the ropecaster or whatever it is and then give em a good kick on the ground but just diving in and punching everyone in the first couple areas is totally viable.

10. jpw007

jpw007 Member

God damn, the way you guys talk about it makes the game sound so amazing. I'm down for the ambiance and scenery. It sounded so 'dull' when you listen to other comments at times but man you guys are making me excited for it. Definitely hoping it hits my niche and i love/appreciate it

11. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

it's such a hard game to know if you'll like it until you play it. even then you have to stick with it to see if you like what it becomes a few hours in.

12. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

A lot of what you see will be people talking about the first 8 or so hours of the game. It's a slow burn but it's a damn fine game.

You can blast through and be combative, or you can methodically plot our your routes to avoid confrontations. It's a pretty well made sandbox.

13. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

i watched one review and i swear they were trying to treat the game like every other open world sprint from point a to point b game out there. don't get me wrong, a lot of people will not like this game (a lot). I expect this to be quite a cheap game to pickup used around Christmas used just because of how divisive it is.

This video about sums it up.

14. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

It's not a game for everyone, if you don't mind grind and repetitive tasks and travel over much of the same ground in between cut-scenes and videos.
    Suggest you watch a few streams first.

15. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

Either take the risk and jump into it blind or give the game a miss! Your doing yourself a disservice by watching a stream.

16. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Just got to Chapter 4, what an entrance jesus christ lol

17. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

Yeah honestly, if you want to like it, I'd recommend bee-lining the story until chapter 5. Stop and smell the roses as much as you like after you hit that chapter. It'll make your life SO much easier. I've got 90 hours in, with about 5 of them at chapter 5. I kinda wish I'd spent less time at the earlier chapters working as hard as I did.

Because as much as I've enjoyed it so far, I'm now having an UTTER BLAST playing. Go go go, chapter 5. Don't try grind 5 star connections until then. You'll thank me later.

18. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

i've been busy building roads as well as doing a good amount of deliveries to get lots of resources - have to be aware that you fill up the local resources quickly so take them out and private locker stuff. so far i'm all the way to south knot city, and west as far as the distribution center north of mount knot city.

having Norman all beefed up means running across the landscape is nothing i never fall and can sprint for long stretches easily. but i barely ever get out of the truck now.

i will say, i went through the very first area quite quickly - went back to it just to sort of mop up levelled up and i must say if you only played that first area you'd probably hate this game.

currently i think level 252.

a good tip for later game people (or mid i have no idea how far in i am apart from the fact i have started ch 5) is to drive a truck to where the road ends and build build build, then go to a garage nearby and store it then private room then use fragile to take you back to an earlier private room with resources, grab a new truck (at the stage i am at they are just everywhere right now from other players) grab another truckload of metal and ceramic, drive to the end of the road again and build more.

i don't know if anyone else is building roads out there but no one else seemed to be in my instance or whatever it is and i am constantly getting likes and such and such used your road comments.

also chiral crystals don't seem to be an issue just through doing plenty of regular orders.

it is also well worth it to get to know the best routes when offroad. explore the map, if you get to close to BT's, just try and go round you will find the sort of dirt tracks that are all round the place. the truck goes most places.

and get places on the chiral network because this unlocks the online structures.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  19. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Intro to chapter 7, hoolyy

This game keeps getting better, pretty sure this is my personal GOTY for 2019

Drizz06 likes this.
  20. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

what are you focusing on while playing?