Death Stranding - Hideo Kojima

Discussion in 'Sony Consoles' started by power, Dec 2, 2016.

1. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

A balanced mix of story progression and site connection upgrades. I'd say I'm about 40-50 hours in and just hit the start of chapter 7 last night so I haven't been just plowing through story.

That said, I have little interest in grinding to build the roads and such so I've done sweet fuck all of that

2. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

if you have done all that the roads come together very quickly. are you utilising Fragile?

3. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Yeah I don't want to do it though, I don't care about that aspect of the game. If the game makes me do it eventually then I will.

4. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

this is a fucking solid review for anyone who is interested but doesn't know if they will care. The full review in progress is a good read and genuinely unbiased unlike a lot of other outlets.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikka...w-in-progress-the-slog-of-slogs/#352ea911331d

hlokk, jpw007 and ChinoPD like this.
  5. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

My only disagreement with your review quotes would be the "tedium of the terrain". Coz outside of BT, Mule and Terrorist zones, there's no challenge except for the terrain. I think it's a great vehicle for a gameplay loop, plus a solidly inventive new form of gameplay. When was the last time you played a game where just walking with shit in a backpack was a challenge?

It's definitely divisive, I'll give it that, but it's a solid 9/10 from me, with a rating taken off due to invisible walls. I hate those in games. :D

mesaoz likes this.
  6. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

In Chapter 5. Just going on an epic road building quest west. Still enjoying it but my wife is rather unimpressed unless I'm doing story content.

7. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

The only sucky thing about finishing the game with 5 star everyone is you've left yourself with nothing to do but maintain buildings. Dammit.

8. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Just made it to Port Knot City and had *that* encounter. Well... fumbled through it because I don't understand a few things with regards to nades and blood bags.

How does inventory management work with the grenades? I struggled to figure out I have to "drop" the grenade each time I use up all 5, and then it pulls another box from back? Or from anywhere on my body? Do I need to have them in a certain place?
    Is there any use to the empties that I drop, then?
    Is there anything I can do with a single grenade? Can it be replenished to a full 5 again?

Are blood bags throwable, or just used to replenishing my own internal blood?

9. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

Store grens in a grenade pouch (if you have one) or anywhere on your person. Blood bags get used automatically they aren't thrown (I've never thrown one). single grens are just single grens and you recycle the empty containers.

any time you are in a fight also keep an eye out for ghosts or whatever they are throwing you supplies.

NanoDuke likes this.
  10. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

Not only keep an eye out for ghosts in boss/catcher encounters, you can actually press the touchpad to actively call for support.

NanoDuke likes this.
  11. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Thanks, I did some more reading last night and I pieced it all together.

So the EX nades only deter the BT sprites, but they (maybe?) also remove the tar from BT catchers, which allows for more damage from Heme nades?

And when you use a heme nade it draws your own blood, but if you have a bag it'll draw from that instead.
    And nades come in a box of 5, but can't be repackaged (only recycled), so if you have a single nade left, it's still occupying a cargo slot. Same weight? Will have to check that out.

I saw the ghosts, and got a few resupplies, but didn't know about calling out to them during an encounter. I've only ever called out in the wilderness, but I've also done it during a BT sprite encounter to deliberately lure them in closer to me. The call is an aggressive "Over here!" type call out. Pretty clever.

12. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

No, hematic grenades have a synergy with standard, lethal bullets. There's no piss fetish grenade/blood grenade synergy that I'm aware of. The synergy is that a blood grenade will leave a weak spot on a catcher, allowing you to shoot it with a normal, lethal bullet gun, on that spot alone. It does great damage. As well as shooting THROUGH the blood cloud the hematic grenades leave. One tactic for that is to not actually throw the grenade at the catcher, but to drop the grenade at your own feet, and shoot the catcher through the cloud with a standard assault rifle.

The bodily fluid grenades can stun the catchers (the whale/other animal BT bosses), as well as the "pee" action.

Yeah the "call out" function can be used to lure in BT's, Mules and support from players.

As for used consumables, generally I will always recycle anything I've used when I arrive at a depot, and fabricate more. This does not apply to guns. Guns will reload while you rest in your private room, the only time to recycle them is when they're too damaged, OR if you've just knocked out some at a MULE camp and wish to return with more ammo to finish the rest off. If you rest, they'll all have woken up when you leave the private room.

edit: for those interested, I've spoilered the list of weapons you get/can get throughout the game, as well as if they reload on private room rest.

Bola Gun YES
    Sticky Gun YES
    Anti-BT Handgun YES
    Handgun YES
    Assault Rifle YES
    Non-Lethal Assault Rifle YES
    Shotgun YES
    Non Lethal Riot Shotgun YES
    Grenade Launcher YES
    Remote Grenade Launcher YES
    Rocket Launcher NO
    Quad Rocket Launcher NO
    HG Custom Assault Rifle YES
    HG Custom Shotgun YES
    HG Custom Handgun YES
    ALL GRENADES NO
    And of that list, what's worth using:
    Bola, YES, until you get non-lethal assault rifle, or if you suck at stealthing past BT's. Hitting a BT will tie it up allowing you to completely ignore it and get past it safely, for a short time. In combat with MULES either shoot their head with the bola, or run up to them and press square to kick them into KO AFTER they're tied up.

ANTI-BT Handgun, NO, fucking garbage. When you acquire it, you're still better off using hematic grenades.

Assault Rifle, YES, but only against BT Catchers, paired with a Hematic Grenade cloud at your feet. Otherwise your weapon of choice should be a Non-lethal.

Handgun, no point if you have assault rifles.

Take the Grenade Launcher over a Remote Grenade Launcher, it carries more ammo.

HG Custom variants of everything, always over the standard versions (this is late game). All I'll say about acquiring these: Pizza.

Hematic grenades, don't leave home without them, the rest are safely never used.

Remote stun if you want to shock the shit out of a MULE vehicle or trap a piece of cargo before it's been visually acquired by MULEs. If you're not in combat, and they aren't alert, a Remote Stun will be ignored, allowing you all the time in the world to plan when to detonate it.

I prefer the non-quad missile launcher, as it's guided with 5 micro-missiles.

Shotguns are good, but really only shine in cqc fights in trenches. You'll know where when you get there, if you've not done any trench fighting yet.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  13. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Thanks again. I'm not up to pew pews yet, but I'll try to remember for my future encounters :thumbup:

FerrisXB9R likes this.
  14. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Only at chapter three, but ditto for the rest.

I wonder how many people have noticed what the various tunes that computers and things like autopavers play when you interact with them? Very fitting with the game's theme. :)

15. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

I don't know if it's worth it but I am a bees dick away from completing the whole road and annoyingly i need Chiral Crystals so gonna have to grind out just a few more deliveries. Just had my first hike up into the snow as well, very nice.

Has anyone else tried out ziplines? I really do need to try them they look super useful, maybe after my epic highway is complete.

16. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

For pure geographical traversal the ziplines are king. Some well places ones make getting around so much easier especially in the mountains.

Also...
    Not having BB made traversing the BT areas super intense. Took something which was relatively easy to deal with to really intense and like walking a mine field.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019 at 3:09 PM
  17. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

not having BB is actually good in some ways because you don't get the second animation when you drive through BT areas just the engine cutting. These get tiring.

I plan on going back to the first area of the map and building some ziplines there.

18. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Zero Punctuation does Death Stranding :D

And I can't remember if this was linked here, or just the R+M page: