Death Stranding - Hideo Kojima

Discussion in 'Sony Consoles' started by power, Dec 2, 2016.

1. jpw007

jpw007 Member

I've been in QLD so on forced break from it :upset:

Unlocked some cool stuff. Got backpack customisation just before i left for the airport. 7 grenade pouches and a battery pack. So pumped.

2. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Chapter 11. Oh Em Gee.

3. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Finished the story.

Time - 74:22:04
    Distance - 337.5km
    Orders - 170
    Total Cargo - 772
    Total Cargo Weight - 14.3 tonnes
    Porter Grade - 283

Loved it. Reeling from the ending. Man. What a ride. Might take a rest and 5 star my connections. Done about 7 already iirc. I spent so many days playing this. More than i have in ages. Played GoW heaps but im sure i finished it in less time!

Drizz06 likes this.
  4. ndt

ndt Member

I really enjoyed this game. Will give it another play through at some point now that I know a bit more. I didn't realize how useful the ziplines could be till the last few missions.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    elvis, Drizz06 and jpw007 like this.
  5. VippiN

VippiN Member

Completed this recently as well. I spent a lot of time delivering when the story didn't call for it, so i'm going to sink some more time into it for the platinum.

It's weird, but the best way I can comment on this game is that i've never enjoyed a game so much that I couldn't recommend to someone. I just enjoyed the chilled nature, inventory management and map planning.

Kojima's narrative fluff is a love/hate relationship. The last two hours of the ending was a bit much. Especially
    the running on the beach for no reason between narrative bursts.

My favourite part of the story was
    when Mama was divulging on what happened to her in the building collapse.

elvis likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

yeah the ziplines are amazing, i would recommend to people who are just going in though - don't over rely on any form of getting around.

ndt and greencamel65 like this.
  7. ndt

ndt Member

Back playing it again and oh boy is its slow now that there isn't a drive to discover the story. Also did the likes pay off for anything? I don't remember them being used for anything other than a score.

8. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

FYI

https://www.polygon.com/death-stran...es-explained-structures-evaluation-categories

ndt likes this.
  9. jpw007

jpw007 Member

This part rustled my jimmies too, but otherwise i absolutely loved every part of it. I was on the edge of my seat for heaps of it and the wife too. Even though it wasn't the 'best' it was to me nothing short of amazing

10. ndt

ndt Member

11. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

try and do your deliveries as special or whatever it is they are worth more once you get them done. Best to do this once you have a vehcile and half decent roads though.

12. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Another quick noob tip that caught me off guard twice:

When you clear a Mule camp, it's not cleared forever. Don't go barrelling through there thinking it's clear. Whoops!

Caught me twice because the first time I thought "Hmmm.. maybe I didn't clear it properly the first time". Second time was the lightbulb moment when I learned I have to tread lightly at all times.

13. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

14. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

the game tells you this. It says something along the lines of this camp will be clear for porters for a time or something similar.

15. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Lots of in-game tips/info and i think all of it's saved in the pause menu (cant remember what one it's called but it's got an 'i' anyway i think).

Some stuff in there even i missed and i was super attentive

16. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

yeah but it tells you this when you clear the camp not in a tip.

17. VippiN

VippiN Member

Think it does this every single time you clear one in a pop up.

Every time I start a new session I clear out all the camps so I don't get bothered over the next few hours. :lol:

18. elvis

I've never been bothered by the mule campus. Just drive on in and smash those fools. Deliveries too: I S-rank 99% with very little effort.

The game is not particularly difficult.

VippiN likes this.
  19. VippiN

VippiN Member

Agreed. Though, some are a bit annoying. Like carrying a pizza flat (so no vehicles) from Timefall Farm to Lake Knot City :shock:

20. elvis

Oh yeah, that's just time consuming. Which is the point of the game - tedium that turns to success.

It's a very Japanese concept. Doing things slowly and deliberately with an emphasis on quality. Whether its tea ceremonies, Bonsai, calligraphy, or whatever. Kojima is in love with it - he adores that excruciatingly slow grind. It's in every single one of his games.

But they're never difficult in terms of skill. Only patience. Very similar to From Software games (the dreaded "Souls Like" term I hate so much). It's all just patterns and patience, and the only time you screw up is when you don't follow the rules. You can't button mash your way to victory. Hell, that was a very "Japanese video game thing" right back to Street Fighter, or even before that Ghosts and Goblins / Ghouls and Ghosts.

This game is no different. Follow the rules, don't shortcut, and you'll S-rank everything all the time. Try to do something the game doesn't want you to do, and you'll pay the price.

VippiN likes this.