Death Stranding - Hideo Kojima

Discussion in 'Sony Consoles' started by power, Dec 2, 2016.

1. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

It’s a viable strategy and if Mr Kojima can do it why not. It’s good for the fans and good for the actors.

2. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Im with you. It's unnecessary, unless it's Keano, he is always necessary.

samos likes this.
  3. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Why not, though? They have to do it anyway. Voice acting is done with motion capture, and an artist has to model the face. So why not chuck a famous mug on there?

4. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Cost? Which will be directly passed on to the consumer. In a world of digital content, I think games pricing is getting ridiculous.

5. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Mmm... it wasn't long ago that games were $110 (or more) on shelves... early in the xbox 360 and ps3 lifecycle games were expensive AF

Now they can be had for $70 on release from places like jbhifi and amazon

6. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

yeah the cost to add a famous face for something like this would be negligible imo especially as they are already there for their voice acting, and it's worth it Mads and Norman are great actors so having their voice work without their face would be disappointing for me anyway.

7. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

Games are cheap now by comparison imho... especially a few weeks from release.. AAA titles for 50 bucks.

mesaoz likes this.
  8. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

I'd be interested to see some old print catalogs from ps1/n64 era, I remember games being expensive back then too

My memory doesn't go far enough back for the cost of snes games

9. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

Taking inflation into account.. I think we're doing ok... there's some articles out there ... I think neo geo was the most expensive ... something like 1500 in today's money

10. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

My original boxed copy of Starwing for SNES. Purchased new, on release in 1993 for AUD $135. Converting for inflation, that's the equivalent of AUD $250 in today's money.

Please young children, tell me how expensive your video games are today.

starwing_small.jpg

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  11. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

My Amiga games were $80 from memory.

that's early 90's money.

12. elvis

Throughout the entirety of computing (whether it's PC or console or anything else) history, late-model software and games have *always* shown the true depths of what hardware can achieve.

I'm pretty vocal about "PC Master Race" being a bunch of clueless knobs, and part of that is because most don't have an adequate handle on game history and what's been done before.

The most amazing achievements in art and science are always done by overcoming constraints. Throwing faster/bigger hardware at a problem is one solution, but doing things smarter is another. Take a look at some utterly mind blowing games in very recent human history - games like Elite on the BBC Micro or X on Gameboy - running on hardware that is eclipsed by desktop calculators, and you can see times when people overcame the apparent limits everyone else was bitching about with clever design and brilliant programming.

Then take a look at anything Kojima has been responsible for (and fellow Konami greats like Tsuboyama and Team Silent who did Silent Hill 2), and you'll see people who similarly overcome apparent limitations (ones that "PC Master Race" love to blame for the apparent downfall and death of gaming each and every generation for the last 30 years running) with sheer brilliance.

Take a look at people like Iwata, who did mind blowing things with Nintendo hardware over the years - hardware that time and time again is released at half the clockspeed of competing hardware, and hardware that produces imagery, audio and FUN exponentially more amazing than competitors.

My mind is not blown at all. And I feel that a lot of people would do themselves a bit of good by looking back in time at what's been, to help them learn about what's possible now. That goes equally for current and future game designers and developers as it does paying customers.

13. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

Some good fun speculation here, Lawrence actually makes a ton of great assumptions imo. I'm sure Hideo will have shit up his sleeves but this sounds very good to me.

Drizz06 likes this.
  14. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Pfft you bought games back then :lol:

I can't remember where or what, (as work has been insane the last couple of weeks) but seeing more and more games retail over 150 of late. To me that's expensive lol.

15. elvis

Lately I feel like I've been buying games longer than most of this forum has been alive.

16. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Well I didn't start buying games till the mega drive II, though I did play the shit out of the FREE inbuilt game Alex the kid.

Bring back the days of the Commodore 6, swapping games at school, never had a massive collection of games. :Pirate:

17. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

What games? or are you looking at "ultra mega deluxe with cheese" editions

18. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

Nes and SNES era I just rented them from the video shop.