Death Stranding - Hideo Kojima

Discussion in 'Sony Consoles' started by power, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

It will suck balls if anyone is planning on bringing this thing home via public transport.

2. miicah

miicah Member

Where!?

3. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

miicah likes this.
  4. miicah

miicah Member

Fuck yeah, I'm gonna go on the weekend.

5. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

32.7gb install off disc.

Already love the tone and where things are headed.

6. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

Day 1 patch was little over 1gb.
    Game runs flawless on a pro! No stutters or detectable frame loss and it looks gorjus.

ChinoPD likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

Such a weird game so far. Love it.

Drizz06 likes this.
  8. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

About 4.5 hours in to the game. Very cut scene heavy in the first couple of hours as you may expect from kojima

game feels like it's opening up a bit now

First video game I've played with HDR, now I see what I've been missing.

9. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

Time passes so quick playing this game it was 2am in a flash and now my daughter has woken me up at 6 :upset:

ChinoPD likes this.
  10. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

11. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Monster rates this game 110/100 for sure...

Oh and some AMC show starring Norman Reedus probably really loves it to

The product placement is so distracting, I hate it.

12. elvis

There was a little bit of this in MGSV, but yeah, it's gone way over the top here.

Very Japanese though, and especially very Kojima.

13. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

Product placement also annoys me too. The biggest blemish so far. Hoping it's restricted to an energy drink and TV show.

14. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

A fantastic interview with Rob from PlayStation Access with Kojima.

Drizz06 likes this.
  15. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

I’ve taken a few amazing screenshots tonight and still blown away just how beautiful the world is.

16. MrBS

MrBS Member

Loving this so far, now to slam some energy drinks :p

Drizz06 likes this.
  17. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

So this game really opened up for me in the second area, the social element is what it hinges on with all the stuff other players build - whatever you do don't turn off the online bit.

I'm just glad i'm playing now while the player count is high because the social building aspect is fantastic. I don't know if this will go down as a great game but it's still enjoyable to me right now. Right now I'm super focused on building roads to help open up and level Sam's shit.

Pro tip, second area you get to go in an just punch the MULE guys and steal their Mako truck thing then start running jobs between the five locations here and go to each location at least once as you get some good gear. Stock up on grenades when going to out of the way places.

Oh and the systems remind me of MGSV which is something i don't really like because i didn't like MGSV and this game does remind me of it a lot.

Also visit your private room thing fairly often to progress story and stuff.

So far i'm giving this game a 7.5/10. The extra .5 is for the story which so far is super intriguing. If I was to judge on story alone it'd be a 9.

Drizz06 likes this.
  18. elvis

Bah, this game spread across two threads is giving me the shits. I posted a big ol' wall of text about my feelings on the story and social elements there, and now good discussion has appeared here instead.

[edit] Only now realising it's not released until 2020 on PC, so I'll keep all my comments here instead.

Yeah, that's really hitting me too. As I said elsewhere, this has an amazing blend of complete isolation but at the exact same time constant connectivity. I think there's some real underlying messages here about society in general (especially Japanese society) where we're all digitally hyper connected, but at the same time some people feel very lonely, and others feel overwhelmed and desperate to be alone. Sam's constant comments about loving the quiet away from everyone, even in the presence of danger, are very satisfying.

And as per the other thread, melding those concepts that centre on how a loner can find their place in the world and still contribute to a society is all pretty powerful stuff.

IIRC you were a huge MGS3 fan yeah? I get mig MGS3 vibes from this. Despite the MGSV tech powering it all, this feels like a return to roots for Kojima.

I much preferred MGSV, mostly because I have the attention span of a small child. So it was "metal gear lite" for me. With that said, (and again, as I said in the other goddamn thread that's needlessly split) MGS3's constant switching in and out of menus drove me nuts. This game solves that with a lot of stuff you need available in quick menus, saving that tedium and letting you enjoy the environment instead.

Straight out of MGSV's playbook. You need to return to base frequently for both the story, as well as provisions and showers.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  19. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

I wasn't reminded of three, more PW or V both entries I had little to no interest in. The missing aspect is obviously building motherbase. But I guess in some ways the entire UCA is motherbase, huh well there you go.

I wish I could play the music outside the private room too, i do enjoy it.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  20. elvis

As much as the soundtrack isn't my normal taste in music, there's something pretty epic about slogging your way through some tough countryside only to see the camera zoom out and some super chill music start playing, and you can just enjoy the countryside.

Almost makes me want to go outside in the real world (except it's hot and dry and shit at the moment, and I want grassy green fields. Thanks, climate change).