Decent panel "dumb" TV 42-60"

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Muchoman1, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Muchoman1

Muchoman1 Member

Just about to move into a new apartment which has a nice spot for a TV (old place couldnt fit one) so on the hunt.

Not interested in any of the 3D smart TV bullshit, just after a decent panel (full HD is fine) for a decent price, above 42". Been out of the game for a while so dont know what the good stuff is anymore.

In perth if it matters.

2. B3ND3R

B3ND3R Member

not sure if they exist any more, unless you get a pc monitor

3. Zee

Zee Member

Nope - good panels always come dressed up with additional bullshit so they can ask for more money. If someone made a high quality screen, with just a single HDMI, quality electronics and no "firmware", I'd be selling them by the truckload.

Z...

4. redav

redav Member

A year or so ago I would have bagged out smart TV stuff (I still don't care for 3D although my brother was saying that his has the ability for two people to watch two different channels at the same time with the glasses which sounds anti-social but I could see some people liking that ability...) lately we've been using our WD TV to view some YouTube videos (TableTop and other gaming videos) so I could see that being handy, and I think I'd like to try using the BBC's iPlayer but most other stuff I wouldn't care for.

Obviously it depends on your viewing habits but I wouldn't write it off completely.

5. B3ND3R

B3ND3R Member

fwiw, i bought the cheapest 55" i could get (at the time soniq) and installed an android app that automatically kills off the smart tv when switched on. acts like an old tv with basic picture/sound settings and an input select menu.

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

What's your spend?

7. TomJ

TomJ Member

LG 60LF6300

It's a FHD, Smart TV, 200Hz badass and I want one. Tad over $2k

8. OP
    OP
    Muchoman1

Muchoman1 Member

probably topping out at 1200-1400.

9. power

power Member

that's budget panel territory.

Also tv's with 3D and all that jazz generally have a higher quality panel to accommodate those features as a side-effect.

10. OP
    OP
    Muchoman1

Muchoman1 Member

What is decent panel territory then?
    I just recall before the whole smart TV thing took off there were 50"ish fullHD LCDs from samsung, LG etc in the low 1000s.

11. power

power Member

I'm not saying there aren't panels at that price point, all you have to do is look at them - they will be entry level variants from those companies.

Price points are generally a good gauge on what to expect quality wise too.

12. OP
    OP
    Muchoman1

Muchoman1 Member

Fair enough. Any recommendation on a decent 50" model then?

13. power

power Member

Not familiar with 50's, last time I looked (christmasish time) I was looking to upgrade to 60+ as I've had a 50 for a long time now (panasonic plasma) but nothing impressed me enough.

Maybe this chrissie :)

I did notice quite a lot of not dissimilar panels from the brands you were talking about, most of the better sets were in the 2k range, maybe someone who's bought something recently can shed more light on the current market.

Don't discount the 3D sets as I said, normally that extra horsepower nets you a better 2D experience - do however use the interface, as most of them are shockers - slow laggy overdone shite.

14. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Ok that at least gives me something to go on. I'll be on the look out for some bargains for you. I'll assume bigger the better.

15. Zee

Zee Member

Like, back when we were above 90 US cents?

Z...

16. OP
    OP
    Muchoman1

Muchoman1 Member

Thats probably it. Just remember some nice specced but "dumb" TVs being around for a pretty decent price a year or so ago.

17. Grimace22

Grimace22 Member

I've read through a few of these threads and it seems you find the best deals going! if you see any sub $1000 in your travels, could you please report back?!

Need a TV at some stage but don't watch enough of it to warrant spending big. Anywhere around 46-55". 50" as you've said previously, seems the best bang for buck

18. flain

flain Member

Do you plan to use playstation/xbox ? If so don't get anything hisense or soniq unless you research the exact model first. I've got a hisense in one of my rooms that has hdmi input delay so bad games are unplayable, its literally half a second delay.

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

No probs, just as long as you aren't in a rush : ) The deals do come up but sometimes you have to wait a little bit of time.

20. Grimace22

Grimace22 Member

Cheers! Ye in no rush, have a TV in place but need a new one at some point soon-ish