1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Dedicated 3 Thread Mk III - Discuss Plans, Network, Mobiles, etc

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Feb 25, 2009.

1. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  2. red_marine

red_marine Member

was the $29 INQ plan ever mentioned? i saw it in three shop recently and thought that it was an extremely good deal, is the 1gb locked to the INQ phone only or can you use any phone/mobile broadband device you want?

3. agnostic|front

agnostic|front Member

anyone else on 3 blackberry getting internet outages in the last few days?

4. Aratama_Bashi

Aratama_Bashi Iron Photographer

evidently, i saw the bulletin for it but was too lazy to post about it :)

5. Pyros

Pyros Member

Does anyone know if 3 block ports on the X-Series pack? I'm keen to know if I can use remote desktop across it (I use push VNC connections) which requires that port 5500 be accessible. I can change it, but it'd be nicer if it just worked by default.

I didn't ring customer care because I can imagine where the word 'port' would get me.

6. t00ch

t00ch Member

Pyros: I have no problem RDP'ing from my Touch Pro with an X-series pack, works perfectly.

7. L4ncer

L4ncer Member

Anyone using the new e63? Looks like a pretty sweet phone. But is it any good? :confused:

8. red_marine

red_marine Member

if you can spend a bit more just go for the e71, the e63 loses all the good things about what makes the e71 such a great phone

E71 is metal, thin, has GPS and HSPDA
    E63 plastic, fatter, no GPS, no HSPDA

i use VPN and remote desktoping and applications going through all sorts of ports, none of them appear to be blocked at all, i'm not sure if you mean being host though as i haven't tried being "host" remotely

9. Thudd

Thudd Member

I've just ordered an E63 (red one), hopefully it'll be here any day now.

This is true, but for me I don't need GPS or HSPDA, and if I want to take pictures well that's what I've got a proper camera for. So in my case I'm happy to keep the extra two hundred odd bucks for an E71 in my pocket.

Now I just need to find a suitable plan. It's tricky for me - I have very low data requirements but want the functionality there for when I need it. So, for example, the E63 is available for $10pm on a $29 cap from 3. But I'd be lucky to use $29 worth each month so that's just a waste, I'd rather have a plan where the credit doesn't expire (or keep accumulating) each month so I can use it when I need it and not when the network wants me to use it.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  10. Pyros

Pyros Member

Yeah RDPing from the X-Series wouldn't be a problem because it's an outgoing connection. The issue with my setup is that it's a push connection, so the computer I'm trying to control actually initiates the session and connects to me on port 5500 - meaning it's the same as hosting a server on port 5500.

11. t00ch

t00ch Member

Ahh ok, didn't read that bit properly :)

12. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

If the E63 had HSDPA, it'd be brilliant (for me, anyway... :p) - I can live without the GPS, and the camera on the E71 is crap anyway... but to go back to UMTS speeds would be depressing.

Thudd, there are lots of options to look at where your credit rolls over (if you're happy to buy the E63 outright).

1 is Savvytel prepaid... http://www.savvytel.com.au/

12c/30s calls, $1 for 5 minutes of GPRS, 15c SMS.

Wrong thread though... :)

13. Slavetonet

Slavetonet Member

Hi,
    Anyone notice the Skype on 3 have new features?
    I have to download a new one from 3. New feature - Instant chat messaging on it.
    Before the older version from 3 is only talk.

Does it charge data? or free data? Or does it use up the 4000 minutes?

14. Aratama_Bashi

its a new version for your handset. the 3 skype service has included 10,000 skype messages per month, in addition to the 4000 minutes of calls, since it was launched. you're just catching up now, thats all :)

15. Slavetonet

Slavetonet Member

It can't be. I was never asked to download the new version.
    It only happen last night as I was logging in to Skype 3 on my Nokia N95 8gig.

So I do not know it was a features a long time ago.
    Before that, I reflash the Nokia N95 firmware 2 weeks ago. Have to re-install Skype version 1.

If I remember correctly. The new version is 2.00(29). Old version 1.02(19)
    So I would know if it was a feature that came ages ago.

Note: I am not calling you a liar.

16. Aratama_Bashi

then what exactly are you saying? :p i promise you, 1000%, with a cherry on top, the skype offer with 3 has always included 10,000 skype messages per month, in addition to the 4000 minutes of calls. let's just leave it at that :)

17. red_marine

red_marine Member

i only just got the upgrade message today as well! always wondered why it was so stupid and can't text to other skype contacts like the actual client could :)

18. bondy_112

bondy_112 Member

got my e71 a few weeks ago. Love it more than any phone I've had before.

However, near the mic paint and the clear coat have already started to chip off. I've kept it in its leather case since day one so this really annoys me.

Can I take it back for a replacement ?

19. Aratama_Bashi

unfortunately no.

the people who could (dare) authorise that would be 3 service centre, or nokia service themselves. but good luck trying to convince them you haven't let it out of the case :rolleyes: (note: not saying youre lying. just picture every halfwit that tries to BS their way out of responsibility by saying "it's never been near water", "ive never dropped it", etc etc)

20. bondy_112

bondy_112 Member

I'd assumed as much. Its so annoying, I've never liked a phone enough to look after it and as soon as I get one I love the paint starts to peel.

Ill give the service center a call. See if I get lucky.