1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Dedicated 3 Thread Mk III - Discuss Plans, Network, Mobiles, etc

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Feb 25, 2009.

1. josh81

josh81 Member

The $50 credit is put onto your account, and goes towards paying off your next bill (and the one after that if your first bill is less than $50).

2. FoBZY

FoBZY Member

im moving to voda in the next couple of weeks because roaming internet charges are a joke. I cant believe they expect you to sit there and constantly check which network your on. not to mention the stupid thing changes back and forth from 3g full reception to 2g in the middle of the city when im sitting at my desk.

last chance i guess but are they planning to change this at all any time soon??

3. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

Seriously asking this here, are you trolling?

Since Monday Three customers now roam onto Vodafone network for free for 2G services (GSM) and 2.5g (EDGE). You know, because Vodafone and Three merged and all that jazz.

Add to the fact that it'll be one carrier within a year or two, and well, your leaving Three to join Three. :tongue: (Vodafone really, pretty sure they bought out Three, and it'll be rolled into them.)

4. FoBZY

FoBZY Member

nop being serious. so have they dropped the charges? is it posted officially anywhere??

I called three up yesterday saying im going to leave three because of roaming charges and they said there's nothing they can do about it. Why didnt they mention it :confused:

5. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

Hmm, well I've known about it, only thanks to reading Whirlpool daily now, for like 2 weeks. Thing is, I've seen different information every few days, somethings say that data roaming is free, other say high charged, or low charged....

I just want to be able to get my emails, on an android phone (yet to get), without being charged for data raoming whilst at work. (No 2100mhz in the building).

I'd jump ship too if I wasn't in a contract that needed to be paid out in full, or if there was another contract that came anywhere near close to my current value. :( Roaming sucks!

6. FoBZY

FoBZY Member

yeah ive seen the whirpool threads but couldnt understand what was going on. If it was about to happen I expected them to mention on the phone because soon as you say you want to leave they transfer you and try convince you to stay lol

yep i've had enough of it too. way too many 2g spots. I want a phone with gps so no way can I put up with this roaming crap

my contract ends now anyway so I figured nows the time to change. ashame cause I've been with three for about 6 years

7. LeFtBehinD

LeFtBehinD Member

Its been updated on their site but my3 still says I only have 100mb. Wonder if I just missed out on it for this cycle because my bill resets on the 24th...

8. Havabigjuan

Havabigjuan Member

is there any new promo codes out there people, something would be appreciated:thumbup:

9. mr sti

mr sti Member

Ok I want my 3 sim to roam on next g. Currently I am using a Samsung A411 unlocked next g phone. It wont allow me to make calls while using the 3 sim (it's only on 850/1800/900/1900)

I read somewhere that for next g roaming you need a phone that supports 850 and 2100. Is that true?

10. stuyvesant

stuyvesant Member

Thanks,. will look out for making sure its a Sony Xperia X1a series, maybe I'll even think about getting the x2 series though can't beat the out right price for the x1 series around 400ish mark :) can imagine how much the x2 series will be most likely around the n97 or Iphone price range outright,.

I've played around with an Iphone, don't know just don't like the touch keypad to slow for IM chatting lolz, (quicker with predictive text 12 key Navigator),. if I had the money I'd more go with the N97,. or X2 mobile,. (i'm still on contract with 3's awesome Blackberry 8707g plan) so looking for an outright mobile purchase

So anyone on here own a Sony Xperia X1a or X1i series mobile

and there thoughts about them?

11. Havabigjuan

Havabigjuan Member

X631981 - $10 Credit per month for 12 Months
    BBVH08 - $100 Credit
    100special - $100 Credit

will try the top two, the 100special didn't work for me but i typed upper case so will try lowercase

12. promiscuousboy

promiscuousboy Member

Probably a pretty rare scenario for you guys, but my HTC Touch Pro is an utter POS. I am currently on a plan and got the mobile through 3, is there anything they can do about it? I think I might be over the 1st year though so i'm guessing warranty is out of the question.

The thing has been pretty bad from the beginning but I just haven't had time to gather all the problems and approach 3 about it.

Here are the problems i've noticed with it:

The stylus doesn't turn the screen on when removed.

The on button has always been extremely unresponsive, sometimes having to almost punch the thing for it to turn on.

When I hang up a phone call, or miss a phone call, the phone drops connection to the network which results in anyone wanting to call me back for the next 5/10 seconds getting sent straight to my voicemail or it doesn't connect at all. This is a major pain in the ass when you ask someone to call you back or if you miss a call, then try to call the person back but have to wait like 10 seconds for the phone to "reconnect".

There is a whole other myriad of problems with it, the screen is so unresponsive and the hardware keyboard is so slow, it takes like 2/3 seconds after a button press for the key to appear on the screen, I think there is some lag there so this often results in spelling errors.

On top of all that it just runs like a dog ( I think slower than my old school 02 XDA II and HTC P3600i )

I really don't know what my options are with this so any help is appreciated.

13. FireTech

FireTech Member

simple explanation for a non-mobile savvy reader please.

Can someone please give a simple explanation regarding the current roaming issue with 3 (and associated additional costs) :confused:
    Does the same problem not exist with the other carriers?
    I was about to sign up my wife over to a 3 plan from Optus prepay but is this issue bad enough to put justify putting that on hold? :Paranoid:

14. scarecrow420

scarecrow420 Member

There might be some hardware problems with the power button or the stylus sensor, so it might be worth at least ringing 3 and finding out if it is under warranty and if you can send it in to a repair centre.

However the myriad other problems you mention (and possibly the stylus thing too, if the sensor does work fine) are all just software problems. The stock HTC/3 ROM is crap! Installing a custom/cooked ROM will breath new life into your Touch Pro. It will be more stable, run faster and have more features - eg Windows Mobile 6.5 and TouchFlo 3D 2.1 (like on Touchpro/Diamond 2) or even the new 2.5 (like on Leo/HD2).

So i think most of your issues would be solved by trying a custom ROM - that only leaves the power button which you dont really turn the phone on all that often really (and once running there are other ways to switch it off or reset, and you can use something liuke S2U2 to automatically lock and standby the phone after a configurable amount of time)... The stylus thing well I dont know - i very rarely ever use my stylus anymore, particularly on WM6.5 as it is more finger friendly. There are test apps you can get which will show you whether the stylus insert/removal is being detected, which could indicate whether you have a hardware problem or whether your WM6.1 (or if you did not even apply that update you are still on WM6.0) software is just not configurable, or buggy when working with the stylus...

Anyway, XDA Developers forum is a haven for HTC devices and custom ROMs. I can thoroughly reccomend Energy ROM. Ive been running it since I got my Touch Pro a few months ago. Id suggest you start with the "Phoenix" version as it has TouchFlo 2.1 which is more stable and less beta than the "Leo" series with TouchFlo 2.5. You have a choice of 2 windows mobile 6.5 builds - 218** will be most familiar to you, while the 208** are WM6.5.3 which have relocated the start and OK button to the bottom of the screen which is more finger friendly etc but you might find a bit hard getting used to at first. There are screenshots etc in the EnergyROM thread ill link you to anyway so you can look for yourself.

To flash a ROM you first need to HardSPL your phone which is easy to do, and everything is completely reversible if you need to send the phone in to service centre. Just make sure you follow the instructions to the letter and you shouldnt have any problems.

Head over to xda developers forum in the "Raphael" section (Raphael is the codename for TouchPro which is also called Fuze in the USA and so on).

XDA EnergyROM Phoenix

XDA Flashing your first Raphael ROM for noobs

Dont hesitate to PM me if you need some assistance - hate to see a fellow TouchPro owner think their phone is a POS!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  15. scarecrow420

scarecrow420 Member

The only "issue" is regarding data usage - if you use data while roaming it isnt included in the data allowance you get from xseries addons or on some plans. It is charged at *i thnk* 50c per Mb but someone else will probably correct me if Im wrong.

In practice i have never had more than a few cents of data roaming charges in a monthly bill but of course that is because i set my phone not to download emails or use data etc when roaming - however some phones dont do that properly. I also spend most of my time in Three's coverage areas so dont roam all that much. Voice calls and SMS are completely fine and dont incur any extra charges when roaming.

So depending on whether your wife will be making use of data connection and what phone she has etc - you may not actually have anything to worry about.

And apparently very soon this situation should not exist as when we start roaming onto Vodafone 2G network instead of Telstra, the roaming data wont be charged ontop of our allowances anymore anyway. Bring it on I say

16. FireTech

FireTech Member

Thanks - doubtful she'll be using much in the way of data features, just voice & txt, so sounds like it's a non-issue for her likely usage. :thumbup:

17. stuyvesant

stuyvesant Member

Same here all my settings on all apps don't use roaming so I'm the same few cents over on my bill for roaming,..

'don't know why' I just haven't bothered calling '3' about it as I'm on the blackberry 8708g plan and I feel guilty as it is having such a great plan with '3'

$39 per month for a $49 cap ($350 month of voice calls, sms etc $100 inc for overseas voice calls, sms etc) and also included 3gig Data (i.e. $40 Ultimate X-series plan) :thumbup:

My crappy faithful Nokia 6210 Navigator is loving it :D think still 18 months left for that plan wonder what will happen afterwards :confused:

So still no one on here own a Sony Xperia X1a or X1i series mobile

and there thoughts about them?

18. promiscuousboy

promiscuousboy Member

Hey mate,

Thanks a lot for the heads up! I've always wanted to flash a ROM before but never had the guts haha, read too many bad stories about bricked pda's.

I went through those links and installed "EnergyROM_21884_RAPHAEL_09.Dec.2009_Standard.rar" followed everything to the letter, also flashed a new radio "1.08.25.20M1 Raphael" which might help.

The new menu's are awesome along with the preloaded programs, touchflo seems to be a lot snappier as well. I'll run it like this for the next week or so and see how I go :D.

Cheers.

19. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

I'd suggest taking a look on XDA developers and getting a custom ROM flashed onto it. When I got my Telstra Touch Diamond it was very laggy, even for an unused phone. A flash to a custom rom that was designed for speed had me in awe at how responsive it had become, plus all the other shit it had included.
    I'd suggest reading the guides, and backing up your ROM just incase you need to return it to Three, if they are willing to exchange it or replace it. There are some risks involved, so be sure to read through what needs to be done first.
    Basically..... If your connected to '3' or '3 3G' in your operators list, go wild, everything is included in your call cap, and data comes out of your phone plan (if you have one).
    If it says '3 2G' then your connected to Vodafone's 2G network, so data/internet will be slower, but its still coming from your data cap.

However, if your connected to 'Roaming' thats Telstra's 2G/3G service and you'll be up for roaming data charges of something like 10c/mb ot 50c/mb depending on your plan/contract agreement.

20. stuyvesant

stuyvesant Member

How about 'E' or '3.5G'

Guessing 3.5G Telstra NextG not roaming though 2100mhz or 850mhz? or either

'E' Roaming

Anyway as I said guessing :Paranoid: