1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Dedicated 3 Thread Mk III - Discuss Plans, Network, Mobiles, etc

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Feb 25, 2009.

1. brayway

brayway Member

How did you do this?
    I rang them up, as i noticed in their T&C that you MUST live in a 3 Broadband zone, and I do not. They said they cannot cancel anything, as I have renewed my Contract, and sold my old phone. What do they expect me to do??
    Keep an iPhone in my draw :confused:

2. aokman

aokman Member

I just lodged a complaint online, my reasoning is that when i signed up over a year ago i signed my contract based on their coverage at the time. I did not agree to them changing communications carriers with Vodaphone nor was i informed about it.

Now i have crap all coverage and broadband is useless, they tried alot of BS about my handset causing problems but i have a Vodaphone work phone with the same issues.

Fact is directly or indirectly you are recieving less service than what you originally signed up for if you signed when Telstra was providing the service and you are entitled to cancel your contract under a breach of conditions or them not meeting their service levels :)

3. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

That's probably a selling point to most people. Who want's a subsidised phone full of bloatware anyway. :confused:

4. brayway

brayway Member

I might have to do the same thing then, Before the merge i had decent signal, and now it is crapish, and even then there is still the fact that they signed me up in the first place, if you check the coverage map, Bribie is not covered :thumbdn:

5. Squatting_Tiger

Squatting_Tiger Member

Ah fark, that'll be right... and that'll be how they get old Three users to switch over i suppose.

6. josh81

josh81 Member

I've got 4mths left on my contract, and i'm wondering if i'm eligble for a free upgrade.
    Want to get N8 on $49 cap.

Currently on $49 cap with $10 discount (so only pay $39), plus $26mth handset installments, which will end after the 24mths.

Don't expect to get the remaining handset repayments waived.

3 upgrade service online doesn't work. And i constantly seem to miss the opening hours of the upgrade phone line.

What are other people's experiences?

7. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

The vast majority of Australians...

:lol:

8. edzknows

edzknows Member

I got a voda htc legend, and it really doesnt have much crap on it, from voda. There is the internet home page being the voda website, easily changed. and a single addition to the apps "sim services" which allows you to check your credit and other (useless) functions.

The best deals are to be had over the phone, and i think you should be able to get what you want. Compared to the discounts you could get (3 months free and that kinda thing) $10 for 4 months is hardly anything.
    And i think you can usually upgrade for free within the last 3 months of the contract anyway. So you will be fine i rekon, just haggle a little if you have to, or try different sales people (call again) is you arent getting a deal you like.

9. brayway

brayway Member

The only 3 things ony iPhone I think is like 2 bookmarksin safari.

10. Pyros

Pyros Member

The only bloatware on my N8 is a '3' startup screen, and the 3 mobile data settings. I'm not even sure that you could call them bloatware.

11. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

Each to their own then, but I just don't see the benefits in going on a plan with a phone anymore. Lack of handset choice and contract lockin are things I'll never go back to.

12. money_killer

money_killer Member

i said until my old n95 was way outta date. and wanted a new decent phone lol

13. josh81

josh81 Member

"Lock in contract"; You don't think you'll be using a mobile in 12-18mths time?
    Is your mobile phone use that unpredictable and erratic?

I haven't been aware of any significant lack of handset choice with contracts. :confused:

"but I just don't see the benefits in going on a plan with a phone anymore"
    Why pay $600-$700 for a phone outright and upfront, and then pay for calls, text, and data on top of that. I wouldn't be saving ~$600 by being on prepaid, vs a plan, over the life of my contract.
    Plus you've got to have all the money upfront. And if you do have the money, then you're also not getting the interest on that $600.

And as for bloatware.... Nada!

---------------------------------------

In regards to my upgrade enquiry; i rang up and was told that i was eligble for a free upgrade. And they said that includes waiving my nokia 5800 $26 handset repayments.
    So i'm planning on getting the N8 at this stage, but 3 only have it in black/grey which is a shame. Vodafone have it in the blue, but i assume i can't upgrade my 3 contract and go on vodafone.
    Anyway, i've heard some bad stories regarding vodafone's coverage, so i'm not as keen to go with them. 3 still use Telstra for roaming, whereas Vodafone only uses their own towers.

What do people think the network will be like once Voda and 3 have completed the merge/takeover?
    Hopefully good. And when is it going to be finalized i wonder.

I've got several family members on 3, so we like the free calls.

The N8 is wider than i imagined. My 5800 looks so much more hand friendly.

14. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

I guess it just comes down to my usage then. I want the latest top of the line phone thats been out for less than 2 months, that's not yet been announced for Australia yet, and I'll only likely keep it for 12-18months. Combine that with I'm a pretty low end user (~$100 in calls, 200 texts, 1gb data) that can survive on a $25-30 cap, theres no incentive for me to lock in for 2 years. That and $600 for a phone for 12-18 months is a tangible cost to me, IMHO.

As for the bloatware comments, the last phone I bought on a contract from a Telco, was riddled with it. HTC Diamond a few years ago. I was able to get twice the free ram and regain a lot of battery once I had wiped the stock ROM and installed a clean one.

15. Frostyknight

Frostyknight Member

I just bought myself a HTC Wildfire outright from an online retailer to replace my C702. My 24 month contract ($29 cap) ends in Feb, and i figured i would just stay with 3 without entering a new contract until i needed to get a larger cap, then i would shop around for a new contract + phone. I also planned on getting the $8 mobile internet pack as contract is old and i get no included data.

Anyway, after finally figuring out how to setup Planet 3, it informs me that the mobile internet pack isn't available for my phone. Why...? and is there no way around it? Seems awfully stupid, surely mobile internet packs should be available to any phone that can access the internet?

16. mustkill

mustkill Member

call up 3 customer service and they will set it up for you.

17. ricee007

ricee007 Member

3 upgrades is a seriously stupid system.

It'll cost me $224+ to cancel my $49cap, that I'm paying $29/month for....

If I want to go to the: Unlimited $119 Cap, without a phone. And I'll still be locked in for 24 month.

Or even the:
    Cap Combo $49 24m ($49min) + Sports Cap.

I can wait 3 months (@ $29/month).... *OR* I can pay $27/m, for 24 months, for an 3GS 8GB

18. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

3 billing is hilarious.

They've been charging me $0.01 per month for the last 2 or 3 months despite porting my number away months ago.

19. arytel

arytel Member

Just wondering if someone can help me, I've just posted in the 3GS thread but just incase.

For some reason this month my network data increased from 250MB to over 1Gb which is over my cap. Not impressed, but more concerned with what was causing this to happen, how to find it, and how to remove it. Is there something I can do through 3 that lets me find what my data was being used for through my phone.

20. aokman

aokman Member

3 must be getting desperate for sales now as they just rang me out of nowhere and offered me any handset of my choice on a 29 cap with a modem included...lol i told them not to call me again.