1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Dedicated 3 Thread Mk III - Discuss Plans, Network, Mobiles, etc

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Finner

Finner Member

Well yes, this is the other big question.. and probably why they're calling up customers trying to get them on to another 2 year contract...

I just don't know which network to switch to :/

2. aokman

aokman Member

no brainer really, Telstra plan offers are much better these days and their network destroys 3/vodaphone coverage.

3. ricee007

ricee007 Member

I want to switch to Telstra for coverage -> I've been denying it is materially better for about 4 years, but I officially give in.

HOWEVER, I am paying, at the moment:
    $29 a month.

Ye,s just $29 a month.

For that, I get:
    3Gb of data
    $49 cap value (so, $350ish of calls/text/whatever it is)
    A long time to talk 3 to 3 for free (GF is on 3)
    Nearly all the Planet 3 things

I just can't get close to that at Telstra.
    To come closeish (no free 3 to 3, 1Gb instead of 3GB and no Planet 3... it'll cost $49.

It's just like, well............. if I can keep paying $29/month, then, I might as well.

4. aokman

aokman Member

Fair enough point but bear in mind that next year your reception will drop quite drastically when the full Vodaphone move happens. We use pure Vodaphone for work and it is utter crap, can never rely on it. Sometimes you have to pay a bit more for better service.

5. sanjay

sanjay Member

not sure how you're getting the $39 blackberry deal (same as what im on) for $29 but when your contract expires so will all of your credits.

if unlimited calls is all you want then im sure any of the new vodafone infinite plans or their cap plans with unlimited free voda -> voda/3 calls will do the trick.

i am getting 4.5gb per month (3gb on the blackberry pack deal + 1.5gb on the updated $49 cap) with 3 atm but my data speeds are abysmal...4KB/s sitting in my office in the city with full bars right now (thats right, slower than dial-up). whats the point of having so much data if i can't use it?

i said in another thread but telstra's business plans now offer, for $59 per month:
    $500 worth of calls within australia + to 13/1300 numbers
    unlimited SMS
    2gb data

free HTC desire/mozart or Motorola Defy

also Telstra telesales are handing out $200 welcome credits if you port over like candy, so theres almost 4 months off :)

just need an ABN (free to get) to sign up to a business plan.

6. bfluff

bfluff Member

Hi guys, i'm trying to cancel a 3 plan at the moment, just finished the contract, what are the methods of canceling the plan?

I know I can call up, but the wait seems forever.. last wait time was wayyyy longer than 10 minutes and the phone ran out of battery.... Are there actual store fronts that I can visit to get this done? Or is calling the only way to go?

Tried looking around the 3 site, it says zip all about cancellation apart from cancellation fees if you're breaking a contract (gg).

Any advice would be greatly appretiated. :thumbup:

7. Dass Booty

Dass Booty Member

You can try a 3 store if you can find one that isn't a booth (booths are only for new customers based on my personal experience). Last time I went to a 3 store I was in line for 40 minutes. :tired:
    The easiest way is to sign up to a new provider then the old contract is canceled for you and you can keep your mobile number.

8. Alfonzo

Alfonzo Member

Are you going to another carrier? If so, I'd go to the new carrier and just port your number over. It's the easiest way of getting out of an existing telco without having to sit on the phone for ages and then jump through their 'customer satisfaction team' bullshit. That and you keep your phone number too.

9. ricee007

ricee007 Member

Neither am I!!!!

I do know that, when it was on, it was applied differently, depending on which employee put it on.

I know that there were a few different methods... some correct, some incorrect.

I wouldn't go to Vodafone for network coverage though...

I use about 50MB a month, because of the poor quality. If I connect it to my laptop, I generally get around 40KB/sec... but it CONSISTENTLY drops out. Not like once an hour.... more like once per 10 minutes. Sometimes instantly, sometimes 20 minutes.... very, very rarely one hour.

I mean, thats good. Don't get me wrong... but, I am paying $29/m... so that's literally paying more than 200% per month.

10. sanjay

sanjay Member

i have the same problems with 3 broadband as you, no point having so much data when its unusable.

you admitted you arent paying enough for your plan, and even at $39 you are getting far more than you could hope to be getting on a current plan. that was a crazy 3-deal never to be repeated.

$59 is more, but you'll get the fastest data speeds and a much, MUCH better phone than we got with the 3 $39 plan (that shitty blackberry). get the $200 welcome credit that telstra is handing out over telesales, sell the defy for ~$450 on ebay and theres $650 worth of credit/cash that you can use to offset the $1400 cost over 2 years of the plan. do the sums and divide the remainder by 24 months and you'll be surprised how little it costs :)

11. ricee007

ricee007 Member

Yea, I like knowing I can go to any website and not worry about data...... but I can only do it on my phone, and even then it is not particularly reliable... and i have to double check that I'm not roaming (not that the internet works at any pace when roaming!)

Yea..... but, I'm not 100% convinced that I won't be able to continue on it forever, as long as I don't change my contract. I guess I'll find out in May/June!

Sure, but that is $1,416 +, what, a $600 phone? $2,000 over 2 years? $1000 a year?

If i just kept going on as I am now (albeit with an e71), that is only $350...

It is a new phone v an e71 comparison, I know.... but they really are my options at the moment.

Ideally, I want a Telstra $49 plan with 1GB (or more;)?) of internet, at least $300 worth of call/sms value, with a phone that I am very happy to use.

I don't think that they exist though?

12. sanjay

sanjay Member

ive been told by 3 reps that the $20 BIS and $30 3gb data pack discounts will be removed once the 24 months is up, so be prepared for a nasty surprise when that bill comes (and dont expect to shake the $90-odd bill when it comes).

telstra has a $49 cap with $400 calls/text and 1gb data, plus your choice of a free motorola defy or HTC 7 mozart if that is more to your liking. always remember you can get the $200 welcome credit as well (some people have even been talking about getting a $300 credit...

13. bfluff

bfluff Member

Thanks guys, I gave them a ring earlier this morning, seems like ringing early does get you to them, instead of having to wait excessive amount of time..

I am looking to shut off the account completely as it will no longer be needed.

14. Azrael

Azrael Member

Ok, not sure where to put this, so ill put it in both the Three thread and here. Wife is with Three on her iPhone, but because she works in an area where there is limited 3G coverage it always switches over to Telstra Roaming 3G before using the GPRS which Three provides, and therefore we get screwed on data usage.

Is there any way with a jailbroken phone to change the network order?

15. zooba

zooba Member

Any word when 3 are getting the Nokia E7? My contract is finishing next month and i have had no problems with 3 :thumbup:

Been with them for about 6 years and 3 phones so far...

16. sanjay

sanjay Member

three arent getting any new phones anymore as far as im aware.

17. Frostyknight

Frostyknight Member

My current contract with 3 is up - so im just going month-to-month at the moment, but i plan to move to an optus BYO-phone 12 month contract in the next week or so.
    Do i... call 3 to cancel my contract? or is there a way to cancel without having to deal with 3 employees convincing me to stay?
    Also, do i cancel porting my number, or should i get optus to port my number then cancel with 3?

Wasn't sure where else to post this as there is no "general questions" thread that i could see.

18. brayway

brayway Member

Talk to optus, i think they can do it all for you.
    Hate 3, they charged me $40 for a call to optus... damn 13 numbers.
    Optus put me on hold for like 20 mins.... :mad:

19. SteveMenheere

SteveMenheere Member

Once you port your number, your new provider will cancel your old service. If you cancel first, then you no longer have a number to port across.

20. Tobes1990

Tobes1990 Member

You need your current account number to port over to another carrier.