1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Dedicated 3 Thread Mk III - Discuss Plans, Network, Mobiles, etc

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Drnrg

Drnrg Member

taken from the this page: http://shop.three.com.au/mobile-details/Blackberry-Bold-Black terms and conditions

any carrier would be able to determine the type of handset you're using from the imei number registered on the netowrk, i don't know if this is how they do it though.

2. sanjay

sanjay Member

the best thing about the $49 cap on 3 atm is the fact that the contracts are only 12 months for a large range of phones...means a new phone every year instead of 2 years...think about the monetary value of that :)

3. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

I'm switching over to the dark side ... Does anyone have the link to the iPhone 3Gs 32gb version stock availiability site handy? I'm all over the website and it's just not obvious to me other than the fact that they dont have stock.

The three rep called me up to try and upsell me to an E63... she gave me the site, but I wasnt near a computer, and she couldnt just register me for notification...

4. Clem

Clem Member

Has anyone tried to unlock a iphone on three? if so, how much are we looking at?

5. Onyx

Onyx Member

LOL call to 3 care would cost you 15 cents... ;)

6. GreyWolfe01

GreyWolfe01 Member

I think you'll find it means the same as most Blackberry caps: all data usage THROUGH THE BLACKBERRY SERVICE is unlimited. This means blackberry email (for internet plans, email services configured through the BB page, for server plans, your bb server email). For Blackberry server plans, this also means browsing via the "blackberry browser", NOT via the standard browser. The standard browser uses gprs, the bb browser goes back through your company's server to their intranet and then out from there (if allowed). Most companies remove the standard browser via policy, but not always.

In summary, for standard non-Blackberry Enterprise Server uses, the "unlimited" will only work for email. And yes it knows if its in a non-blackberry device, because it means there is nothing to connect back to the Blackberry service :)

7. J5ive

J5ive Member

No one got any help on this? Still going round in circles here :o :thumbup:

8. Mars1

Mars1 Member

Well, the 'very good camera' limits you a bit, and I am not quite sure how good you mean by 'very good'. Eg: are you talking about megapixels?
    If so, the Samsung's are probably the best options. The Ultra touch has an 8mp camera, and the Omnia and F480 have 5mp cameras.

If you're wanting to use data though, and you are in a Roaming area, you will be pinged for data roaming charges.

If you look at this page, the megapixel capabilities of the phones are all listed.

http://shop.three.com.au/mobiles

9. J5ive

J5ive Member

Ahh, so is data free in capital cities? And only costs outside in roaming areas? If this is the case, can I just buy a $12 data pack and be ok? Will the free email etc work?

10. gta007

gta007 Member

Well it's about time to upgrade, and I was looking to do it via My3. However, it appears, I can't find this function on the site. Can someone please enlighten me. Thanks.

This is what I see:

http://i27.tinypic.com/2j4dfll.jpg

11. VTY

VTY Member

Is there more than 1 number on the account?

12. gta007

gta007 Member

Ah yes, the account holder has 3 accounts, and this is one of the numbers.

13. VTY

VTY Member

you will need to login to my3 as the account administrator(or ask the Account Administrator to login) in order to see the upgrade options

14. josh81

josh81 Member

15c call to 3 is covered by your cap though. 25c roaming data charge is not.

Data is not free anywhere. You need a data pack, and you use that data when in a 3G zone like capital cities.
    Roaming is charged on top of that at a pretty high rate.
    However, if you have a "Mega Mobile" as 3 calls it, which is basically a mobile that supports the 850Mhz frequency for 3G roaming onto the Telstra NextG network, then you can use your data pack whilst roaming, and wont be charged a huge excess. Basically means all Telstra coverage is 3G for you.

15. QuBsee

QuBsee Member

Care to point it out, sorry bud but i just looked at their website and it was all 24 months contracts

16. Mars1

Mars1 Member

Ohh... I wondered what those 'Mega 3G' handsets were for, so does that mean any quad band handset will roam to NextG and therefore no data roaming charges?

17. gta007

gta007 Member

18. Mars1

Mars1 Member

Sorry, I just realised you meant 850 UMTS capable, so, any 850 UMTS capable handset will roam to NextG without roaming charges? Therefore, the iPhone will?

19. Onyx

Onyx Member

No, from my experience its always fallen to Telstra Edge network... and I've already incurred 28 cents in roaming charges (>500kb at 50 cents per Mb).

20. josh81

josh81 Member

Really? But the iPhone is a 3G 850Mhz frequency handset. So what does this mean, you can never actually trust that your Mega Mobile is going to connect to Telstra Next G for 3G roaming? :(