Dedicated Nvidia 9800 GTX Released!!! | Discussion | Reviews | See OP!!

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Apr 2, 2008.

?

What Do You Think??

1. The 9800GTX Looks Good..

26.8%
  2. Blah I Need More Power!!

41.1%
  3. I Love Some Three Way SLI Action!!

3.8%
  4. Time To Look At ATI??

18.2%
  5. Other..

10.0%
  1. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

There is a price drop on the 8800GT and 8800GTS (g92) series meant to be coming soon, which should give it a bit more distance as well as allow the 9800GTX to settle down in price after its launch.

The 9800GTX overclocks like a motha :D

2. Coopz

Coopz Member

I'm going to get 1 (just 1 tho:))

3. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

I find a lot of people may look at grabbing one only, a lot of people i know have crossfire motherboard :D so they either have to upgrade their motherboard or stick with a single slot nvidia solution..or move to ATI.

I think the ATI drivers look like they need some serious work, as for the 9800GX2 and 9800GTX drivers they seem about right with the lower resolutions, when pumping them to 2560x1600 all the cards take a dump..could be a bit of an issue of drivers but i still put it back to the memory interface.

4. hayfever

hayfever Member

wow, the xfx 9800gtx is cheaper than the xfx 8800gts 512mb and 8800gts 512mb xxx. I am going to upgrade my 8800gts 320mb sli setup :Paranoid: to a 9800gtx sli but can't understand why the 8800gts 512 is more expensive???? Maybe 2 8800gts xxx would be better?? or is the pricing all haywire

5. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Depends on the place you look at, you can find the 8800GTS 512 for the mid 300's without much effort.

The 8800GT and 8800GTS 512 are expected to get a little price cut soon, no general ETA sorry.

6. mockier

mockier Member

Does anyone think that all these refresh cards could be stifling games releases/engine development?

Crysis has been out for 5-6 months now yet it still isn't really playable on a 24" LCD with Ultra settings.

I think other developers might be put off by that. Unless it's a plot to trick 3Drealms into releasing "whenever".

7. Ice009

Ice009 Member

Any idea when those prices cuts are due DM? A rough estimate?

8. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Crysis is only one game, one engine...all the other games on the market run fine and they sell even better than what Crysis did :D too much hype.

Umm..will let you know if i end up finding the details once again.

9. Ice009

Ice009 Member

Thanks. I was curious cause I haven't heard anything about this before.

I'm actually thinking about getting a sub $100 video card with my new system and waiting a month or so until prices settle down a bit.

Edit : Then again would that be a stupid idea? It'd probably end up costing the same or more ;).

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  10. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

The source seemed to of disappeared atm, so just consider it a rumour atm. But nvidia are expected to release the 9800GT and 9800GTS over the next couple of months, so it possible to make a educated guess that they would be some kind of price drops.

As for buying a 9800GTX for example, check the general prices out atm to see what you would be happy to pay and not get ripped off. I wouldnt wait much more than a couple of weeks (but thats just me).

11. Ridah

Ridah Member

I will be picking one of these up on the weekend, definitely a worthy upgrade from the 8800 GTS 320 I have.

12. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

I like the fact that both 9800GTX SLI and 9800GX2 are scaling beautifully, and also don't appear to have many stability related issues.
    I think tri SLI is idiotic in almost every imaginable case, but I'm sure someone will defend it:thumbdn:

My concern with the 9800 parts is the bus and memory.....what if Far Cry2 is a killer, it might mean that despite the raw horsepower, you'll have to play it at 10x7 to manage data flow.

13. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Yes the scaling from a single card to SLI has really improved :thumbup: On some games a single 9800GTX takes the 3870X2 out in some games :lol:

I won't defend it, but if it actually scaled well enough to justify the cost..then it would be worthwhile, otherwise it aint scaling for shit!! ahaha

14. MichaelMR2

MichaelMR2 Member

what bothers me about tri sli is I've yet to see benchmarks showing what if any, impact the lower X16 slot has on latency etc...I imagine if you want more than 2...that quad might be your better path..

15. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

I’m intrigued...tell me more about this issue?? is it because the uneven number of gpu's??

16. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

Compared to what though....?

17. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Compared to a dual card SLI setup..like two GPU's seem to scale nice in SLI but three just seem to add trouble to the system and not add the extra performance benefits people would have hoped for in spending the extra money for a third card.

Just had a read of AnandTech's review, seems like they had some serious issues with Tri-SLI :S

http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3275&p=5

Seems the Umart is selling the 9800GTX for $385 :D :D

18. guard

guard Member

jee maybe i should have waited i worked out a deal with the shop owner for 2 xfx 9800gtx 740mhz overclocked for $900 delivered, but the genetic brands are already $385.... hmm anyone seen the overclocked versions under $440?

19. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Hard to find any O/C versions for less that $440, but as with all new releases you do pay a bit of a premium.

20. guard

guard Member

i know i wish i was more patient, i mite just cancel and wait a couple weeks, whats 2 weeks ive been staring at my unopened crysis box for 6 months now