[WIN7] Dedicated Windows 7 Discussion

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by MR CHILLED, Jan 27, 2008.

1. ThunderbirdMoz

ThunderbirdMoz Member

Cool. Ta. I used Nlite back in the day but last time I checked there wasnt a Win& equivalent. It's nice to know that now there is. Thanks

I found a cool command for windows 7. If you type in:
    cleanmgr.exe sageset:10

You can get more options showing in windows Disk Cleanup.

Tick all the boxes then type in to run it:

cleanmgr.exe sagerun:10

My windows os badly needs reinstaling. Even after doing the cleanup the windows folder takes up 33gb. Winsxs alone takes up 12gb and installer folder takes up 7gb. -_-

2. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

One of the true joys of W8, you just DISM /resetbase that sucker.
    Effectively, /resetbase says screw having 10 layers of backwards compatibility in the WinSXS; give me my precious SSD space!

3. newgen

newgen Member

Hi guys,

I'm putting together a rough budget for upgrading 75 x computers from Win XP to Win 7 Pro/Ent. Customers have a MS EOpen Agreement, looking at getting a volume license obviously. Does anyone know what the ballpark licensing cost with no software assurance would be? Also trying to source costs for MS Office as I'm comparing to O365.

Cheers

4. NSanity

NSanity Member

O365Business/E3 shits all over Office Std pricing. There is literally no comparison.

re: Windows Licensing. You won't get Windows 7 Licensing, you'd get Windows 8.1/10 Enterprise Licenses, that are eligible for downgrades.

5. newgen

newgen Member

Thanks mate. Yes I'm aware of this which is why I'm proposing to roll it out, but that response just won't sit well with decision makers who this info needs to be presented to :p

I'm aware of this too - I've been working for a company with an EA and level D discounts so other pricing is new to me, that's all. I needed to get Windows desktop OS licensing, have finally got a re-seller account so will check with the MS vendor.

6. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

I've got a dead Viewpad10 sitting on my desk it came pre-installed with win7 home and the media CD's to restore it. I can't really be bothered fixing it or getting it fixed so chances are it's going to end up a paper weight. Anyone know if the product key that came with the full version O/S on these things can be used on a desktop or notebook?

7. power

power Member

it'll be OEM, not full retail - so no, also recovery discs tend to only work with what they have shipped with.

8. ernie

ernie Member

Lot's of people are stocking up on Windows 7 packs, so they can take advantage of the upgrade to Windows 10 later in the month.

I might do that too, I only have a 32bit Win 7 and it's causing problems with gaming. Might get a cheapo win 7 64bit they seem to be going for about $100.

- Ernie.

9. power

power Member

Windows 7 licenses are valid for both the 32 and 64 bit editions.

10. kogi

kogi Member

Where from? Retail pack? oem? or dodgy key?

11. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Ahh yes I was just looking at the worn COA sticker a bit closer and it says Home Prem OA so it looks like the paperweight now becomes a cupboard stuffer.

12. power

power Member

going off the reviews of that tablet, maybe that's what it was destined to be :)

13. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Given it's age it wasn't too bad for a dual boot tablet when it came out. For us it's been a GPS, a reader, a games pad, a music player and it lasted about 4 years. It's a shit to upgrade Android and Veiwsonic in Aus really didn't offer much support but Viewsonic in the US were brilliant with over the net tech support and freebie offers. TBH it's a bit of a loss but now days the kids get more use from it and with tablets available for under $100 which no doubt suit kids the Viewpad isn't worth spending too much time fixing.

14. dexx

dexx Member

Hmm mine says "resetbase option is unknown" when I try that.

15. Yerolo

Yerolo Member

Did anyone else have any issues with the Win 7 updates published today ? I installed all the updates as usual and I've had 2 failed bootups and frozen windows a couple of times with graphic artifacts, garbled text etc

I had no issues at all prior to updates. I rolled back via system restore and so far no issues, so it looks like one of the updates caused it

Win 7 x64

16. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I think everything went fine for me.....just did an update and shutdown and it seemed to be fine. But I'll check tonight and confirm.

17. Yerolo

Yerolo Member

I'll reinstall them again later to see how they go...may just have been a problem when they installed or some other coincidental issue

18. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Nope, you were right, a couple of days later (this is win8.1 for me) it wanted me to install the whole lot of patches again. Tried reinstalling them....continues to fail each time. Tried one of MS's patches, changes the "update and shutdown" to "shutdown" but none of the patches installed. Haven't tried deleting the patch directory temp file contents yet, will do that tonight.

19. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

I've had 1 or 2 computers in our test group get BSODs and I haven't had the chance to investigate yet as I'm looking after a few things.