REVIEW DeepCool Captain 360 AIO Cooler Review

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by gazza30, Dec 18, 2014.

1. gazza30

gazza30 Member

[​IMG]

Lets kick it off today firstly with a special thanks to DeepCool and check out their latest offering in CPU Cooling, the Captain 360 AIO cooler. rrp 140Aud

while deepcool do have other variations such as the Captain 120 aand 240 the Captain 360 is deepcools flagship AIO cooler coming with a triple radiator.

The compettion has really heated up with a huge variety on AIO coolers available on the market so its important to have good performance as well as trying to create something new while trying to give the end user a quality well priced product that looks great as well.

The package arrived and i must say its a sizable box and while taking a few bumps in transit held up well and everthing was well protected inside a tipical egg carton type design inner box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the box you can see all the pump and radiator measurments as well as a few key features like mounting compatability etc.
    Please click on picture links for full siz images OCAU seems to be resizing :(

DeepCool captain 360 product page

Intel Socket 150W

LGA2011-v3/LGA2011/LGA1366/LGA1156/LGA1155/LGA1150

High End Desktop i7
    Core i7 Extreme/i7/i5/i3
    Core 2 Extreme/Quad/Duo
    Pentium/Pentium G
    Celeron/Celeron G AMD Socket 140W

FM2+/FM2/FM1/AM3+/AM3/AM2+/AM2

APU A10/A8/A6/A4
    FX 8/6/4-Core
    Phenom II X6/X4/X3/X2
    Phenom X4/X3/X2
    Athlon II X4/X3/X2
    Athlon X4/X2
    Athlon
    Sempron
    Business Class

Technical Spec

Main system Dimensions 89.0X65.4X76.0mm
    Radiator Dimensions 395X120X32mm
    Radiator Material Aluminum
    Fan Dimensions 120X120X25mm(3pcs) +PWM
    Fan Speed 600±200-2200±10%RPM
    Fan Air Flow 273.36CFM (MAX)
    Fan Air Pressure 3.71mmH2O(MAX)
    Fan Life Expectancy 100000 hours
    Fan Noise Level 17.6~39.3dB(A)
    Fan Bearing Type Long lifetime ceramic FDB(Fluid Dynamic Bearing)
    Fan Connector 4Pin
    Fan Rated Voltage 12VDC
    Fan Rated Current 0.24±10%A(MAX)
    Fan Power Consumption 2.88W
    Pump Life Expectancy 120000 hours
    Pump Connector 3Pin
    Pump Operating Voltage 6~19VDC
    Pump Rated Voltage 12VDC
    Pump Speed 6000±150RPM
    Pump Load Current 0.40±10%A(MAX)
    Pump Power Consumption 4.8W
    Net Weight 1627±10g

Pretty much all cpu types/sockets have been catered for except 775 :(
    Some pretty decent specs on offer and we'll go through and check the contents on offer in a moment. One spec i could not find was pump flow rate or the actual specifics in the radiator contruction.
    I beleive the radiator fins are indeed Alloy but have heard that maybe the pipes are copper. Ive sent an email requesting more info so i'll update with that information asap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Close up of the radiator shows very even spacing of all cooling fins with approx 23Fpi The radiator is finished in matt black and does look to be nicely built.

[​IMG]

The pump you can see looks a little different from most with its clear external tubing linking the waterblock to the pump shows off the bright red coolant inside . As far as i know coolant only comes in red at this stage.

The pump comes with ceramic bearring and is rated for 120 000 hours while the base is pure copper with .2mm deep high density microchannels to add some surface area and inhance cooling. Powering the pump is a standard 3 pin plug that plugs into your standard motherboard header. The top of the pump also lights up and gently glows and ebs a nice red tone should look good inside your case window heres a quick video so you get the idea.

The finish on the base while not a perfect mirror finish is still of a very high quality. The pump/block does come pre applied with thermal paste.

[​IMG]

The 3 PWM Fans bundled look pretty impressive and they have some serious weight to them at approx 160 grams each and look and feel like quality fans. They have rubber surrounds so that should help with vibration etc without the need for fidly rubber gaskets etc.

The specs on the product page differ from the fans back sticker which shows the Gamerstorm GF120 Logo and 12volt 3.12W/.26A either way plugging one in shows they push some serious air even attached to the radiator.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lets talk about the mounting, i did mount on both socket 1150 and socket X99 with no issues at all. The mounting components do the job well with nothing feeling like its going to break first time out of the box.
    The pump plugs into the cpu header and the bundled pwm fan hub plugs into the second cpu header which then allows you to plug in your 3 pwm fans. Configuring the fans can then be configured via your motherboards bios.

[​IMG]

You can see i kind of had a theme going ;)

Test Setup
    Cooling DeepCool Captain 360 CPU
    Case Open air bench table
    CPU intel 5960x 8c16t ( all cores and HT enabled )
    Motherboard X99 Asus Rampage V Extreme
    Ram Gskill ddr4 3000c15 Quad channel Ram
    PSU Antec 1200 ( because it had Red racing stripes )
    GPU Asus Gtx 680CU II
    Thermal Paste MX4
    Software Intel XTU for temp and load testing ran for 15minutes

Ambient temp kept stable @ 25'c thoughout testing

[​IMG]

Ok now i'm impressed even when overclocked to 4.4ghz 72'c under load with intels XTU run for 15 minutes is quite acceptable in my book and
    probably leaves room to push even higher.

Also Did some noise tesing on the fans and pump.

All measurments taken from 30cm distance

Fans @ 100% pwm 37db push a lot of air through the rad but certainly not silent.
    Fans @ 50% pwm 21db lots of air imo Best interms of performance vs noise.
    Fans 30% pwm 13db still good air flow.
    Fans 20% pwm 12db still pushing some decent air.

Pump 22db highest setting but it has a high pitch sound
    Pump 17db lowest speed

So lets sum it up, impressive cooling performance for 140Aud. The bundled fans are well made and push tons of air even at lower speeds. The radiator is well finished and seems to match the fans for silent or perfance operations.

Now for the pump since my testing ive been using the system quite a bit but be mindfull this is on a open test bench. If i drop my fans rite back and the pump is running @ 100% its quite easy to pick out from fan noise, its not super loud but the difference in tone makes it more prone to stand out.

In the graph above i found optimal ear friendly settings where easy to achieve though and ended up happy with 60% for the pump and 50% for the fans performance was still very good as you can see

Pros

Cooling performance
    Well priced
    looks good
    PWM Fans
    Fan hub

Cons

Pump noise at 100% can get a bit loud
    775 mount would have been nice

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  2. OP
    OP
    gazza30

gazza30 Member

seems imgur is having issues hosting :rolleyes: ok yay images are back.

You guys see them?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  3. t8y

t8y Member

yeah images fine here :)

man thats priced well for what you get, and do like that it still performs almost as well at the lower noise levels, benefit of the bigger rad/water volume i suppose

also, whole kit (fans and the pump/block) does look pretty good, always a bonus

4. OP
    OP
    gazza30

gazza30 Member

Thanks ty8 glad the images are holding up.

Pretty decent price I think for this much cooler , most people seem to upgrade fans when they buy an AIO cooler but no need with the the Cap 360 if you want a tornado you got one if you want a little piece and quiet they'll do that to.:thumbup:

5. t8y

t8y Member

yep corsair fans got one bootup on my h100 before they were turfed and something else was ordered..
    holy hell were they loud.

they've been downgraded to nitrogen fume extraction duty/ram coolers now, bench rig noise no matter

6. OP
    OP
    gazza30

gazza30 Member

I think most people just toss them tbh it sure adds to to cost if you need to purchase decent fans as well as the cooler. Certainly no need with the 3 bundled fans here look good and perform very nicely.

7. OP
    OP
    gazza30

gazza30 Member

Took awhile but looks like these are finally in stock here in Australia as of last week.

Interested what others think if they go down this route :thumbup:

8. Sebstar

Sebstar Member

How do those temps compare to Stock cooler/cheap aftermarket (a la Hyper212)

9. OP
    OP
    gazza30

gazza30 Member

Sorry mate totally missed your post mate. The hyper212 is a great budget cooler for sure but it s not in the same league as say the captain 360 or other high end AIO coolers like the H100i.

10. rvrftw

rvrftw Member

Do you know how the captain 360 compares to a noctua nh-d15?

11. OP
    OP
    gazza30

gazza30 Member

The nh-d15 would be pretty close performance wise with most of the top AIO coolers. Problem is the size of those monsters and the fact that they can foul your ram slots with both fans installed and even the first pcie slot on some boards if they have a x1 - x4 slot above the first PCIE x16 slot.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  12. rvrftw

rvrftw Member

Just curious as the deep cool is about the same price as the noctua. And all the online reviews seem to vary drastically (I suspect this has to do with whether tests are performed in a case or on a bench).
    I have decided to take a leap of faith and will be grabbing one of these next week.
    I will update with my thoughts and results once it arrives.

13. OP
    OP
    gazza30

gazza30 Member

Nice looking forward to your results. Actually running mine in a bitfennix matx case at the moment fitted perfectly and purring away nicely. I'll add some more pics when I get a chance.

14. rvrftw

rvrftw Member

So mine arrived today...
    Fitted very easily in my 750d lol... Although I would have preferred some longer tubes.
    Install was fantastically simple.

I have a slight issue with temps though.
    Plugged it in as directed, and ran prime95 on 4790k (stock), and was getting 20c idle (ambient 15c), but it was hitting 65c in prime95, and fans were defiantly working (although I liked the fact that I could only hear moving air rather than fan sounds)

Did you do anything special with your bios settings?

15. OP
    OP
    gazza30

gazza30 Member

I just ran fans at 50% in bios or you can run them higher in a case and they'll should still be fairly quiet. Not sure of stock temp on a 4790k as I've never run one at stock sorry :Paranoid: . Bios auto voltages are way more than needed for stock in most cases. Also I don't use p95 but think I remember reading that p95 uses the AVX instruction with causes unrealistic heat load. I used Realbench for a stability test, gives a more realistic workload and temps.

Did a quick test for you with my 4770k which generally run hotter than the newer 4790k.

4770k @ 4.4 1.2vcore fixed p95 82'c on hottest core and realbench was 80'c on the hottest core PLS note ambient is already 27'c

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  16. OP
    OP
    gazza30

gazza30 Member

Well it's nearly 12 months since the review and last night the pump died. Hopefully an isolated issue. I'll contact Deepcool and see what they say. Any one else had any problems? Pump hadn't got noisy or gave any sign of imminent failure.

17. WishBone17

WishBone17 Member

Not cool deep cool.!!

18. rvrftw

rvrftw Member

Mine has been running fine.... Silent as ever.

I finally realised that the reason my temps were so high, was because the CPU was staying at 4.4ghz throughout the tedt

19. OP
    OP
    gazza30

gazza30 Member

Haha yeah not so cool. Hopefully an isolated failure.

:thumbup:

Stripped the unit down for inspection. Coolant hadn't turned to gunk in any way pcb in side looked fine with no sign of burnt components. So guess the pump just had enough.