deleted email recovery

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by philquad, Feb 11, 2019.

1. philquad

philquad Member

i only had a few this morning
    & somehow while deleting 1, the shift key was locked on & they all got permanently deleted
    ive tried a few recovery thingy's but can seem to find them
    anyone know of a good free program.

2. shredder

shredder Member

What is your email program?

3. power

power Member

what mail application and mail type.

4. OP
    OP
    philquad

philquad Member

outlook 2016, imap, i give up, i asked hosting mob, thinking they would have a backup of this morning, they said no as its imap
    i tried Power " data recovery, (no pun ) it only finds the current ost files, tried 6 other recovery things, just seems to have vanished

5. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Your OST file is a giant blob of all your emails and attachments mashed in together into one big fat file. Your single email was not an individual file. It was a part of this OST, and thus file recovery tools aren't going to help you.

If you want to prevent this in future, look at some sort of hourly backup/snapshot/file-history system, assuming your OS supports it. Alternatively use an email provider that supports large mailboxes and email archiving (i.e.: never delete, only archive from view).

Jesus saves. Everyone else makes incremental backups.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  6. power

power Member

yeah it's a while since i've had to recover anything ost related and the last time it was the whole thing - as elvis said it's a database, when you delete mail from an ost there's no deletion just white space created and marked as empty and that white space gets over written.

there may be someone else here who has had to recover something from an ost hopefully.

7. OP
    OP
    philquad

philquad Member

yea its ok
    was only like 3 emails, was just careless, when it said " delete permanently " i assumed it was the 1 email, even backup would not have saved it, happened 1 minute after turning pc on.
    lesson learnt

8. power

power Member

if only you knew I only use shift delete, digital recycle bins are for the weak!

9. shredder

shredder Member

Yeah if it's nothing crucial (and let's face it, it usually isn't) then it's probably not worth the recovery effort.

If you're worried about specific people, you could send them a quick email explaining that you lost a few emails due to a computer fault, etc, and they could re-send.

10. OP
    OP
    philquad

philquad Member

power ah really ?
    i never knew, i only have it as i use sticky keys, and the modifier lock, so its not hard to stuff up

11. power

power Member

i shift delete everything, files, emails you name it. I used to just disable the recycle bin but now i'm lazy. when things end up in the recycle bin i'm very upset it means i have to empty it.

12. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Very cheap to backup to external storage these days, a lot of incremental snapshot programs are free for home use.
    philquad , checkout Macrium Reflect or Veam.

You never know when it will save the day, even the whole drive. Plus you can then "live dangerously" like power with no fear.

13. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

It's about now I hug my CoW, snapshotting file system. Using anything else is 2019 is positively archaic.

14. cvidler

cvidler Member

there's utilities out there for recovering deletions from within PST/OST files.
    (in the case of IMAP, that'd only help if the email was cached locally rather than just on the IMAP server)

they're usually not free though. and there's no guarantee it hasn't already been over-written by something else you've done, or the next emails being delivered.

philquad likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    philquad

philquad Member

everything live on other drives except windoz & programs
    even 1 minute backups would not have saved me, i opened outlook, accidentally shift deleted what come in
    all over

16. power

power Member

it felt good though right, now you have felt the buzz i bet you'll never go back. mmmm permanent deletion.

although you did in all fairness also say "OK". I should rid myself of the OK prompt.

17. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

If you want email backups, look into email Journalling instead. Basically all incoming/outgoing emails are duplicated into a journalling mailbox as a form of archive/backup.

18. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

If it's on the same machine, it's not a backup

19. OP
    OP
    philquad

philquad Member

im with you, i delete everything, they call me "the deleter" esp formatting, nothing better than wiping someones who computer because facebook wont open, then convincing them, it had to be done.

or i could add a forwarder to my email & send it to something stupid like hotmail or gmail & forget about it, great idea, thanks

its on a different hard drive, to me thats a backup, unless the computer fries every part in it, if it does i'll get a new hobby.

edit; you are right tho, so i just backed up anything of real importance to ftp.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019