Delicious Snake Oil

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by deluxe, May 12, 2015.

1. bennyg

bennyg Member

It is silly how things operate due to the various loopholes and thresholds. I have to offer statutory warranty on the couple of things I buy in bulk that i resell - which I have to factor into the price - warranty of course doesn't apply any extra cost to HN coz the brands take care of after sales support.

Smart customers get the benefit when explained how likely it is you will get 'warranty support' from Shenzhen through Google Translate or from the store in the US they got to freight forward to here.

A couple of idiots thought they're getting ripped off because something that I sell for 150AUD is on sites in the US for $90 with free shipping... That's 90 USD ($120-125AUD after credit card conversion fees) with free shipping only to US states (add another $20usd at least) ... penny drops.

2. lithos

lithos Member

And they never factor in the shipping time. Is their time so worthless?

My favourite is when they tried to negotiate me down on, based on US prices, a product that is hard-wired for either 120 or 240VAC depending on the market.

3. cvidler

cvidler Member

If I don't need something today, I'm happy to wait for postage. Beats dealing with dull salespeople that only want to up sell high margin rubbish and know less than what a 5 second googling can tell me*.

*I know that's not salesperson, but it's far too many of them.

4. lithos

lithos Member

I know these guys' time is worthless, because they seem to take plenty of time just to walk into a shop and announce that they can order it for cheaper.

5. cvidler

cvidler Member

Fair enough. I don't go into a B&M to waste a salespersons time only to buy elsewhere. I research first.

6. OP
    OP
    deluxe

deluxe Member

7. Sarsippius

Sarsippius Member

If we consider that this is all placebo, and people receive subjectively better audio just because they've spent good money, then is the cable even necessary. Why not just give me the money, forget the cable, you'll get better audio, I'll have more money, win-win for everyone :lol:

8. OP
    OP
    deluxe

deluxe Member

9. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

10. Zee

Zee Member

But it has to have a pure silver braid for the best optical impedance characteristics.

Z...

11. cvidler

cvidler Member

I like the part where the 'reviewer' (who I assume is compensated for the review, since there's no mention about it being unbiased/unsponsored) deliberately tries to discredit proper ABX testing methodology because it proves there is no difference in this expensive magic box.

and it appears I'm a closet audiophile, I use those same TPLink media converters to get data from my storage system in the garage, to the house - via fibre optic links. omg I never realised my music was magically better.

love it, these people must be high functioning (that's a big of a stretch I know) physcopaths in order to be able to lie so obviously.

deluxe likes this.
  12. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Motivated reasoning. They probably genuinely believe their own shit.

13. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Same with people madvr fever.

14. Zee

Zee Member

Here's the thing... Aus is truly starting to get fairly competitive in terms of price with the US. Work out what an Emotiva amp costs to buy and ship, then check the RRP at your local Emotiva reseller, and you'll be surprised how close the final figure is.

Now, apart form totally agreeing with all the other points made, especially as I'm in the AV industry myself, and see the whole picture, not just an Amazon sale price...

Here's what does bug me. There are some niche products, usually motorcycle or scuba diving related, where the pricing is still near double in Aus, but worse than that... If I want to order it, it's usually not in stock, and I need to wait 2-3 weeks. I can often order the same item, shipped, from the US, not only for about half the price, but it will also arrive in 4 days.

On a side note, people tend to forget that in the US, prices are quoted ex-sales tax, this is because sales tax varies by city/state.

Z...

Examples - full titanium exhaust system, Ohlins rear shock, scuba diving regs - this is where we fall down. Not only am I paying double, but I have to wait 3-5 times as long - that is madness.

15. OP
    OP
    deluxe

deluxe Member

Yeah I had a good laugh at that