1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Dell 2405fpw

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Scott46, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Scott46

Scott46 Member

Hello to everyone,this being my first post.

I've been doing some research on the Dell 2405fpw and am seriously considering buying one. Firstly, i have researched this monitor a fair bit and I want to use it for PC, Xbox, Foxtel and TV. Tv probably through tv tuner, xbox 360 through vga, Foxtel through s-video and pc throu dvi.

The thing is though, i am currently sitting 2 feet away from a 15" Samsng LCD, I dont know if the 24" will be too big considering i am so close. I know this is a subjective issue, but what does everyone else think? The 20" Dell might be a better size but the lack of inputs makes it less appealing. Also, when watching TV/xbox i will probably be about 2-3 meters away so maybe the bigger screen would be better for this.

I'm going to get a new PC within a few months but currently i am running a p4 1.8, 512, with a GF2 (crap), will this be good enough for the time being for the 2405fpw for general surfing, documents etc (not gaming obviously)?

Ok so the main issue is the size, so is there anywhere around Sydney (im in Hills district) that i can see this screen running, is buying direct through Dell thr only option or are there resellers out there?

I also read about the new model 2407fpw(?) but dont think i want to wait the time, or pay the extra price if there are no great differences.

Opinions, advice and alternative products all welcome. Cheers.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2006
  2. apsilon

apsilon Member

There is (or at least used to be) a 24" at the Dell kiosk up near the food court at Westfields Parramatta.

IMO it'll be fine at that distance. I'd avoid the 20", it's not as good and I'm not talking about just the size.

3. Danthemanz

Danthemanz Old School Admin

There is no such thing as too big...

Get the 24", you wont regret it :) :thumbup:

4. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

I bought one a few months ago, direct through Dell during one of their specials. It's probably 2 feet from my face as I type this, normal desktop usage. I love it, I can't go back to a normal monitor after this. :) It doesn't feel huge or overwhelming or anything. I got my 15" lappie out the other day to play around with desktop linux on it.. felt like I was looking at the desktop through a keyhole. :) If you want one just buy it, I can't see how you'd regret it.

5. Slavetonet

Slavetonet Member

Yah.. what Agg said. No regret.
    I will be getting a second one 2407 model when it comes out. HDCP compliance I hope.

6. OP
    OP
    Scott46

Scott46 Member

Cool, i might have a look sometime this week.

Do you know if i can buy direct from the Dell Kiosk, or does it have to be over net/phone? Do you have a phone number, white pages came up with nothing.

7. apsilon

apsilon Member

Definitely have to buy from Dell direct. The kiosk just has a few select items on display, they don't actually sell anything as it's not an actual store. You can probably place an order via them however.

As others have said however if you can afford it just buy it, you won't regret it.

8. zerorespect

zerorespect Member

you wont regret buying it. as said before there is no such thing as too big

9. GoSam

GoSam Member

Ditto, to the above posts saying you won't regret buying one, had mine since the first group buy on the whirlpool forums and I couldn't be happier, I find the 24' to be the perfect size. :thumbup:

10. Crusher

Crusher Member

i have the 2005FPW, which is the 20". I got it over the 24" because i got it for a really good price ($600) and I also didnt need the extra real estate.

I sit about 2 feet away and its fine. Great for movies etc... It has pretty much the same input as the 2405... vga, dvi, composite and i think svhs (it has 4 inputs total).

id say if you can afford the 24" get it.. but the 20" is also not a small screen and is quite nice to use

11. FB008

FB008 Member

same vote here, when i got it delivered i was like "whoa wtf!" but once installed, it's a thing of beauty.

best impulse buy ever, it's gonna double up as my future TV when i move out :)

12. FaTs

FaTs Member

I have the 2405, I'd wait for the 2407 so you can play HD-DVD/Blueray content on it. You won't be able to with the 2405.

The 2407 will also be 12ms vs 16ms for the 05. I have found the 05 to not ghost, but blur on NFS:MV, every other game has been fine.

13. yanman

yanman Member

i loves my 2405..... loves it

14. exiled

exiled Member

I've loved mine dearly since I got it in the Whirlpool bulk buy, definitely not too big. I am selling it now (on OCAU) because of my financial situation, and I know that going to another monitor is painful once you've had a taste of 24". Scales games beautifully as well, something that I was concerned about. Hopefully I'll be able to get another one in the future :) I probably sit less than an arm's length away from it and it's fine with the size.

15. mxlaser

mxlaser Member

You'll easily play HD-DVD/Bluray on it the 2405 as already players/pre-release ones have been hacked to disable HDCP. Theres also already products on Ebay that allow you to input into them, then they remove HDCP and carry the signal through, allowing full 1080p HDCP disabled signals to non HDCP panels.

16. Loop Goose

Loop Goose Member

My only regret with the 2405 is how bright it is. I have brightness set to zero, and its still too bright !

I found it quite large for about 30mins, and then I got used to it. If you play games on it, the field of vision might take some time to get used to, as it often feels like you are really in the action.

17. Kabal

Kabal Member

The blur is part of the game :)

18. chewbucca

chewbucca Member

$600.00 ??

Care to enlighten us how? ;)

19. ifrit375

ifrit375 Member

Dell Outlet recently had some 2405 monitor from around $900

20. Gouki

Gouki Member

what is dell outlet? is it an online site or an actual store? do they still have it for $900? I WANT!