dell 2408WFP a01 input lag!

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by exile69, Oct 26, 2008.

1. exile69

exile69 Member

hi i recently purchased a dell 2408WFP a01 and i really like the monitor, except for the input lag which i am finding fairly annoying.

even when just moving the mouse around in windows i notice input lag. when playing games the input lag isnt too bad until i turn vsync on, then it becomes unbearable.

i was wondering whether others with the same revision of this monitor use it for gaming and have noticable input lag with or without vsync on, so i know whether to get a refund or a replacement.

thanks

2. uniqueuser

uniqueuser Member

If you are worried about input lag then don't get a VA panel and stick to the cheaper TN (albeit with worse viewing angles and colours).

3. OP
    OP
    exile69

exile69 Member

thanks, i have considered that but i have read some people say they dont notice any input lag even with vsync in games, whereas others say the opposite. seeing as dell advertise it on their website under their 'gaming monitors' list i thought that maybe i got a really shit one or they all have input lag.

i really like the viewing angles and colour of this monitor as id like to use it as a tv too, which i cant imagine doing with a TN panel due to their poor viewing angles. although i dont think i can handle using a monitor with this much input lag. especially considering the fact i wont be able to play games with vsync on resulting in tearing.

4. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

1. A01 is the latest revision of the monitor.

2. Have you tried using a DVI to HDMI (DVI from the video card) adapter to connect to the monitor? Some people have experienced better performance supposedly with the laggier A00.

3. Dell has a two week satisfaction guarantee, where you can return the monitor and get your money back. I'm not sure if they'll slap you with any restocking fee's..but it’s something to talk about if you end up returning it.

4. Some people notice the lag (like you) and some don't...i think a TN panel based monitor would be more responsive.

5. OP
    OP
    exile69

exile69 Member

thanks for the reply

ive tried the dvi-dvi, hdmi-dvi and vga cables and notice no difference between them. if i decided to ask for a replacement in order to find out whether my current monitor has worse than average input lag, would dell give me another ~2 weeks satisfaction guarantee on the next monitor if it is no better?

6. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Sorry, not sure about that. I haven't had to go through a replacement experience just yet.

7. OP
    OP
    exile69

exile69 Member

8. Darko

Darko Member

Is this your first 24" LCD?

9. Omniscient

Omniscient Member

10. Omniscient

Omniscient Member

Was just thinking, wouldn't quite a bit of the input lag be accounted in the quality of your mouse?

surely cordless mice = more input lag ?

11. tupac130996

tupac130996 Member

Not sure if you are talking about the OP but he has Logitech G9 which is corded?

12. haza

haza Member

I don't see how turning on vsync could cause more lag due to the monitor. Vsync is not implemented in your monitor, it is implemented in your video card and software.

The monitor does not know if vsync is on or off...it just displays what ever image it gets sent.

The lag you are talking about could be due to "render ahead" features, which are often enabled by vsync. This improves your performance by rendering frames before they actually happen. It attempts to "guess" what the next frame will be. You can turn this off in rivatuner or other tools, but it will lower your overall FPS.

Also I've found vsync lag to be very game dependant... I get terrible vsync lag in bioshock and it is totally unplayable, but I don't get any vsync lag with far cry 2. So your mileage will vary.

13. Punster

Punster Member

Dude, either you have the eyes of a ninja or reading about the lag has given you a placebo effect as the literal difference in most situations is nothing to worry about. The better colours in games like Far Cry 2 etc more than outweigh any minor lag that would annoy Superman.

I have run my Acer next to the Dell and in real world performance, not using cameras to take screen shots, the performance difference is nothing. If anything all TN panels look shit next to it lol.

My 2c.

14. haza

haza Member

You're wrong...there is real lag in LCDs (even TN ones) and it is noticeable. You don't really notice it after a while because you adapt or adjust to it.

Try playing a fast game with high FPS (like quake 3) on a CRT and then play it on an LCD. There is a _massive_ difference.

15. Punster

Punster Member

I agree with CRT to LCD comparisons, but LCD to LCD in this case is not enough to get rid of the Dell for a lower TN panel.

16. Sootymooty

Sootymooty Member

For people that can't stand the input lag on LCD monitors they should stick to CRTs where there is no lag.

It's an inherent characteristic of LCD technology that there will be some miniscule lag, just like LCD blacks aren't really black - we get used to such issues and in time it doesn't matter anymore.

For the other 99.95% of people that don't notice this lag it's a non issue - there won't be a problem unless you're looking for it.

P.S. Most modern games can't be measured by high fps anymore - sure you can get Quake 3 to over 200fps but try getting over 100fps with Far Cry 2 or Crysis on any modern PC at a resonable high res is next to impossible (or maybe it just IS impossible).

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  17. haza

haza Member

Yep I agree, in my experience input lag has not changed much between the LCDs I've had (TN and non-TN).

What has changed is the amount the ghosting...the the 27" Dell I have now ghosts a lot more than my older TN panel Viewsonic.

18. haza

haza Member

Easy to say, but no one sells high quality CRTs any more :(

19. Omniscient

Omniscient Member

I'm still using my awesome SAMSUNG SyncMaster 997MB 19" CRT

^_^

fucking rocks hard.

I'm sorta nervous going to the Dell 2408, which is travelling to my place as we speak @_@

20. NSanity

NSanity Member

I got a 2408WFP A01 the other day...

It has less lag than my old Viewsonic VX2025wm...

Somewhere around 16-20ms according to a GH calibration..