1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Dell 34" 175hz 3440x1440 OLED

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by raincloudx, Jan 5, 2022.

1. OP
    OP
    raincloudx

raincloudx Member

2. Daveros

Daveros Member

and in stock?

seems a good deal...

3. nikloas

nikloas Member

Might not be in stock, when I look at it I get:
    Estimated delivery: 26 Apr – 4 MayEst. delivery: 26 Apr – 4 May
    Standard Parcel Delivery - Registered

4. uncle_jim

uncle_jim Member

Damn it, this thing may make me downsize from my 48".

5. Jarrod_

Jarrod_ Member

The review we've been waiting for:

6. rg144

rg144 Member

Lol I just watched that. Obviously there is an element of "best" that is subjective/unique to everyone's use case but this is what Vincent does well- removing as much subjectivity as possible and focus on things that can be measured.

I'm sure there'll be some arguments from LG OLED owners as to what's superior (even if price is similar) though ;).

Personally I would've preferred a 38" rather than 34" in curved, but kudos to Alienware for really knocking it out the park.
    They're on a massive winner with this.

7. Teddidao

Teddidao Member

Omg the wait couldn't feel any longer, they better not give me a big fat cancel or I'll be so salty I might just wait and buy a Samsung version of the panel or a 42 inch C2 instead

Daveros likes this.
  8. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Talking about a wildly underwhelming "review". Mostly repackaged marketing slogans. I look forward to an actual objective measurements from Rtings.

9. rg144

rg144 Member

I categorically disagree.

Vincent is hands down one of the best in the industry. No fluff, no bullsh!t, marketing slogans = no.
    Any marketing slogans he uses is just for sh!ts & giggles. The real work is in his testing.
    Sure his reviews may seem bland and/or personality monotone to some, but his testing methodology always summarises what Rtings finds anyways, and always before Rtings (and almost everyone else in the world).

Jarrod_ likes this.
  10. xcessive303

xcessive303 Member

Agree with this. However, I’ve found Rtings have provided some inaccurte reviews in the past which they eventually corrected weeks later.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2022
  11. rg144

rg144 Member

fwiw, I don't own one of these but a friend just got his on Friday/set it up yesterday and I have to stay its stunning. Prob wont have the ability to do a side-by-side with the LG's, but having gone through 3 gens of LG OLED's, you absolutely can't go wrong with the AW34 QD-OLED. Again personally hard for me to go back to anything < 48" now that am accustomed to them but the reds & yellows on this thing impressed me & was immediately noticable.

Rtings is excellent, probably the most thorough mass consumer products review site going around. They've improved their test methodology over the years too.
    But remember these guys like Vincent & ClassyTech are independents, absolutely no slouches & well respected in the industry. I remember looking a while back @ Vincent's gear- spectrophotometer/spectroradiometer and all the other tidbits he has.. at least $30k in calibration equipment alone which is his own as a pro calibrator.

What do I appreciate about these guys is not only do they summarise everything you'll find in an Rtings/technical written review, they do so with very different testing methodologies (yet similar measurements & results). More importantly Vincent's review of the AW34 quickly stated what all thought to be the case:
    - This monitor is OLED evolving, absolutely stunning tech, shows the impact of the non-glossy film with lights on, said everything most need to know about HDR/brightness; response times, refresh rates & color depth, as well as ability to disable ABL easily if needed, pixel shifting and notable OSD settings. What more is there left to say? ;)

^^ And there goes the review on Vincent's review.

Not discounting the Rtings review, its necessary for us number geeks. But like all things, subjective observations backed by objective measurements are very important too. My subjective take on the panel (we haven't done any calibration on his panel yet)- if you haven't seen it in the flesh, i'll reconfirm what you all know: This monitor is the bees knees if the profile/price/size fits your use case.

Look forward to seeing some pics when the come in gents.

12. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Best gaming monitor hands down but as I suspected the fringing will make it less ideal as mixed use, not a very good office monitor. Keen for the follow up video he refers to at end.

Wash your mouth out, that's Vince Teoh! :p

I used to rate Rtings but they claim the C1 OLED is an amazing PC monitor for office use.. I own one.. It isn't.. The ABL and WRGB make it woeful in MS office and no ergonomics (der it's a TV)

They also fail to test their TV's fully in gaming mode leaving people disappointed in lower FALD and color volume quality in gaming modes.

I am keen for Vincent's 2nd video and perhaps a third that covers it all and hwunboxed review. Between hwunboxed and hdtvtest you are good to go.

13. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

I agree to an extent. I've always been sold on OLED. Had a few OLED TVs, Had an OLED Laptop, OLED Phones, and I have this on order because of its inherent positives. But I would have preferred to hear more about the user experience and more about the numbers. So instead of a data heavy review, we get some numbers. And instead of a subjective usability review, we get almost exactly everything you'd expect from a QD-OLED marketing manual.

Ive watched plenty of his stuff before. I dont subscribe to hero worshipping just because hes popular amongst the reviewers.
    I just wanted to get to the end of a review, and feel more comfortable with my decision to grab this monitor over the 42C2 (which I believe he has as well) and something more unknown about the monitor that we couldn't have deduced from the marketing. I don't feel I have a much better understanding of the monitor, its value and its use from his review. I dont see anything about any downsides tested or shown. Which is why it feels more like a paid advertisement.
    There's no monitor that's perfect. No perceptible difference between 8 bit and 10 bit colour? Okay. Back that up and prove it.
    Text clarity? Not even mentioned.
    HDR? Seems to me that the HDR1000 he recommends most people dont seem to like. Perhaps more information on that.

I mean, at the end of the day, I am getting it regardless. Ill on-sell it and grab a 42C2 if that ends up being a better choice.

14. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Re watch the last 30 seconds he is covering it in his next video. But the TLDR seems to be this won't be a good office monitor. Maybe not horrible but not something you would want to work on all day and game all night.

I think he rushed to get a video out, he should have just waited until he could cover all the pro's and Con's

15. riot123

riot123 Member

I've been using this monitor easily 8hrs+ everyday for work and play, zero eyestrains or migranes.

Below is Samsung's repsonse to the colour fringing. (TLDR - it happens to every monitors, just QD-OLED tech has higher contrast and wider colours that it is more noticeable)

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1648029400

Also, do not turn off ECO mode. I had mine off day 1 and it was causing the fan in the monitor to run for 10-15mins after turning the monitor off at the end of the day. Kinda hard to sleep with it whirling on and off every sec.

walker_2003 and rg144 like this.
  16. rg144

rg144 Member

I understand as a buyer you want all your questions answered, but it’s hard to get that in 1 review. Ratings will give u metrics, these guys give u subtleties. He usually does quite a few videos on a panel rather than 1, so expect a few more to come; particularly in the space of comparisons.

As for the AW34 vs 42C2, there is no substitute for size if u have the space. Not shitting on the AW, but looking at a screen that smashes u in the face every time is a big wow.

17. rg144

rg144 Member

Apologies for back-to-back post this vid just out now. Not a great review by any stretch, but good enough to highlight size differences for those unsure:

Again if you have the space available, at these price points (~$1500 - $1800) I think its also worth considering:
    * FV43U (not a bad panel at all if you can stomach the bulkiness/bezel widths)
    * FO48U (cheap as dogshit. Had 3, returned all 3 them with problems but YMMV)
    * LG 48" OLEDs

Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
  18. neRok

neRok Member

Also the title of the video is "The Best PC Gaming Monitor. PERIOD.", perhaps as a nod to the text issue whilst ignoring it?

greencamel65 likes this.
  19. Slavetonet

Slavetonet Member

Don't have your computer in the same room as you sleep.
    I have a work home office - doesn't interfere with sleep.

walker_2003 likes this.
  20. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Other consideration is ABL is less agressive on the QD-OLED so wont be as jarring brightness shifts on the Alienware.. the LG can see as low as 150nits in MS word.. Doesnt bother everyone though. (This is C1, C2 might be bit brighter with Evo panel)

Thats good, sounds like mountain out of mole hill situation from the original article, will see what Vincent has to say though.