Dell debuts new 27-inch U2713HM monitor, its first AH-IPS panel

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Skitz0

Skitz0 Member

Can anybody confirm whether the dell has proper VESA mounts? The manual leads me to believe so but it isn't listed in any of the specs as other monitors.

2. viet_mafia

viet_mafia Member

"Weight (panel only - for VESA mount)
    5.6 kg
    12.44 lb"

I think that would point to it having a proper VESA mount.

Now I just have to make the decision between a 27" or a 30" :upset:

3. Dumpty

Dumpty Member

dont care about 120 hz refresh rate, dont care about the response time
    there only two things i want from this display
    1. Image quailty needs to be on par or better than the u2711
    2. there needs to be an option to buy it without the anti glare covering.

4. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

...Or less aggressive AG.

Still better refresh rate is the feature I was waiting on for my upgrade path considering the amount of gaming I've been doing.

5. Dumpty

Dumpty Member

so much for that thought. looked on the Aussie site, sounds like the same coating. Also not to mention a couple of youtubers saying its the same coating.
    I think i might just give the Samsung camp a go. Still Samsung tend to have over saturated colours (is this even true?).

6. TheContact

TheContact Member

Looks like a semi matte/gloss coating to me: link

7. Pengoz

Pengoz Member

Going to get this once my tax return is done.

Was thinking this be best as it has LED backlit rather than the previous CCFL (?).

Should be good for what I do as I mainly watch movies, tv shows and will output HDTV to it via STB over HDMI.

Should I encounter any problems with this?

Will need to look at a new rig too not that I play games as my current one (Core2Quad) is getting a bit long in the tooth. Tho a SSD (Crucial M4 256Gb) might extends it life yet. I already have a HD6870 in the box.

I've got a DP on the HD6870 so should be able to output to native res/120hz. Whats this grief over the AG coating? I'm not super anal like you guys, so doubt I'd care? I use an iMac at work which a glass screen. So can't be any worse than that (I don't like the glass, too reflective). I'll be upgrading from a Samsung SyncMaster 215TW

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  8. viet_mafia

viet_mafia Member

Just google anti-glare problems with the U2711, there is a huge gripe from most people over the strength of the U2711's anti-glare coating.
    In some cases (depending on how you see it) the coating, coupled with the ppi, is strong enough to make browser text actually look blurry when inspected close enough, and causes some people to suffer from eye-strain should they use the monitor for more than a hour or two at a time.

9. aokman

aokman Member

the AG is utter crap period on the Dell's, i have no idea how people could do any sort of proofing / touch up work with them when the AG gives anything it displays a horrible grain. I would take the Yamakazi over this personally lol.

10. Pengoz

Pengoz Member

ok i'll go with the samsung since that seems to be the pick of the field for 27"?

11. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Member

Yer sure everyone wants to see a reflection. A normal person sits in a well lit room and prefers to have a normal screen and not look like your sitting in front of a Plasma.

How is it a EPIC FAIL?

Catleap is the epic fail.

It's just a newer revision with slight upgrades. Some people really do expect far too much from a company that really won't go out for a specific market (eg. Gamers.) Go buy Asus or Samsung for that crap, at the end of the day I'm very happy with my U3011 and wouldn't convert to anything else.

12. Pengoz

Pengoz Member

strike the samsung, after reading a review regarding its hdtv performance (average) and doesn't offer 1:1 scaling.

http://www.cnet.com.au/samsung-series-8-syncmaster-s27a850t-339336768.htm

I guess if I want an updated display to go the tried and tested U2711? Strike the U2711 too, looked at its thread.. bloody QA issues with them even new monitors..

How bad is this AG coating really with this updated model? If it prevents reflection then its not that bad?

13. aokman

aokman Member

I have a 27" Apple display with glass front, im yet to see my reflection... you can easily overcome it by positioning your screen away from windows but in the Apples case its easily bright enough to overcome any reflections.

Still have one of my u2711's unfortunately, cant wait to piss it off for something decent, horrible having it side by side with an Apple LCD :(

14. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Member

I've seen a U27011 with removed AG Coating. The black is very dark and accurate but that's all I can vouch for. It feels like it has more brightness in the colours but the reflection would drive me nuts.

As previously mentioned I suppose having an option for any Dell monitors without the AG coating would help the moaners but oh well. Maybe in the future.

15. aokman

aokman Member

The main reason for the reflections is also the CCFL, the LED based screens have much better output so they can overcome reflections :thumbup:

16. Dumpty

Dumpty Member

Trust me their monitors are different to their tv's, i have a Samsung 8 series LED 3D tv and its probably the best displays' i have ever seen, the blacks are accurate and deep, video is fluent, but the colors are on the over saturated side, but its nothing that you can't fix by playing around with the settings.
    you have no idea.
    http://peterhallam.com.au/dell-u2711-anti-glare-review/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEfaPa966ug&feature=channel&list=UL
    I mean its useful for those who have FLOOD lights facing their monitor but in the scheme of things the AG is probably the most annoying addition to any consumer product. Period.
    I just removed mine but i now have no warranty, i just wish it was an optional thing. Samsung or HP atm. Still the U2711 wasn't a bad display by any stretch of the imagination, far from it in fact, its quite unfortunate it was let down by the Anti glare coating.

17. Pengoz

Pengoz Member

Dumpty I'm not after a samsung tv, I'm referring to their computer monitor referred to in this thread. Its hdtv performance is lacking which had me surprised considering their tvs are quite good.

18. sam_allen

sam_allen Member

I'm not sure why anyone would be buying a 27" IPS monitor if they were overly concerned with its HDMI performance...

They're for productivity/imaging. Who does that via HDMI anyway? (not to mention that the monitor doesn't support 2560x1440 via HDMI...)

19. Dumpty

Dumpty Member

Well I shall let you know, will be getting a Samsung 27 1440p pls display. I don't think it uses ips technology tho. Still I would take the u2711 or u2713 any day, I was just unlucky and got a second hand u2711 with the first gen anti glare coating!

20. Gnatty

Gnatty Member

I support the AG coating, sure you can notice it when looking at light uniform backgrounds, but the lack of reflections means that I can reduce the backlight = less eye strain. I no longer notice the slight speckle when editing documents etc, it just doesn't bother me.

It would be nice if Dell added an option to remove the coating though, just to cater to those who prefer the glossy finish.