1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Dell Monitors: AW2521H, AW2721D, AW3821DW

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by macktheknife, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Camm

Camm Member

Mine is delivered Locutus, so its not even location based.

Its quite a nice monitor really. Still, there's a few feature improvements that I'd like to see happen (and hopefully via firmware update).

DSC is top of the list (and with it, a potentially higher OC, or at least being able to run 10 bit @ 144). Being able to sync the RGB lights to whats on the display (ala the Acer X38), being able to run HDR without backlight dimming (should be able to hit HDR 400) and improvements to Overdrive would all be welcome additions.

That being said, that list sounds like the monitor is bad, its really really not, and the panel I got is almost perfect with no dead or bright pixels, and very minimal levels of backlight bleed. HDR it should be noted works really well on this panel as well (even if that drops you down to 120hz/10 bit if you want to achieve full gamut) Still, if anyone has an X38 they want to trade, I'm interested :p.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  2. TecnoTools

TecnoTools Member

I looked online and couldn't find anything about the mounting pattern of this monitor. I reckon you have to measure the holes on the back to figure it out.

3. Locutus of Borg

Locutus of Borg Member

My AW3821DW has finally shipped. Woohoo!

4. Dunska

Dunska Member

Oooof... my shipping date just changed to 1st Feb 2021 :-(
    No 38" gaming for me over the holidays. I guess it gives time for more supply of GPUs to hopefully appear.

5. Dunska

Dunska Member

Wow - my AW3821DW just arrived! Not bad for a shipping date of 1st Feb 2021 :)

dzajroo, macktheknife and raincloudx like this.
  6. Dunska

Dunska Member

Strange issue this morning. Monitor was working fine last night, then this morning it would not show any display. Checked cables, tried HDMI instead of DP as a test - still no picture. Monitor self tested ok (hold button 3 for 5 seconds shortly after power on).
    I turned off the power to the monitor and let it sit for 10 mins. Powered up again and it asked me for language like it was the first power on. Worked fine after that. Strange. Hope this is not a reoccurring issue. Fun way to start 2021.
    Now it is working again it is very nice. Now to play around with HDR.

7. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

It is, I almost bought it. Premium LG panel, nice design, very reasonable price. Dell is currently offering it for 1,100 USD in Japan. However, the 21:9 aspect ratio is just not doing it for me (I use currently a 4K 42-inch monitor). And it does not come with HDMI 2.1.

macktheknife likes this.
  8. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

eh? The CX models come with HDMI 2.1, HDR 10, G-Sync / Free Sync, and run at 120 Hz. And OLED is visually vastly superior to any LCD monitor.

9. Annihilator69

Annihilator69 Member

Got my AW3821DW

It is noticably bigger than my 35" monitor.
    Any bigger would be annoying.
    Picture quality is really good and crisp, better than my 1080p 35"
    1600p is amazing for games, maybe too small for desktop, 1440p would be fine I guess but I'm a weirdo who likes big things.
    I run 125% scaling and everything is generally ok now.

My panel is perfect.
    Only downside is that the blacks are not as black as my 35" VA panel, but the IPS is superior in every other way imaginable.
    There is zero ghosting/120Hz @ 10bit is awesome.
    144Hz at 8bit.

I'd have to say I can't really tell the difference anyway.

My 1080 surprisingly enough is still keeping up enough to run most games at 60-70fps.
    There is zero fan noise or buzzing.
    You can even disable the power LED and change the colour of it when the monitor is on so it doesn't annoy you, which I think is amazing.

10. dzajroo

dzajroo Member

Its a TV. also only 120hz, 120hz so 2014

Also imput lag...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  11. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Sorry, I do not get you. It's HDMI 2.1, 48-inch, runs 4K @ 120 Hz, and it's OLED. This is beyond the spec any "monitor" offers. Unless you are totally focused on extreme Hz, and willing to compromise on anything else, this is unbeatable.

Congratulations!! Although I cancelled my AW3821DW order today, I am still so much tempted. :D

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    walker_2003 likes this.
  12. dzajroo

dzajroo Member

Yes, its notndisplay port, its not 240h, 48" way too big, and big input lag, terripbe for any fps online gaming.....great for console play

13. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

HDMI 2.1 is faster (more bandwidth) than DisplayPort 1.4. Terrible lag for fps online gaming?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  14. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Everybody happy with their AW2721D? Very tempting, great specs!

rtings about to review, quite keen!

Is this AUD? $944!

https://www.dell.com/en-au/shop/ali...21d/apd/210-axtj/monitors-monitor-accessories

What are you on about? the CX are great gaming Tv's and great gaming Monitors.. input lag is low.. 4k @ 120hz is not 2014 its more like 2018.. and 120hz is plenty @ 4k..

Do more research..

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/48-cx-oled\

But I do agree they arent the best for online competitive shooters but doubt anyone buying for that.. nobody should be above 1440 27" if they want to be competitive.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  15. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

This is very much my point as well. Take the Dell AW3821DW. This is an excellent monitor, 38 inch, almost 4K, and running at 144Hz. Yet, you hear comments like "good, but not for competitive online gaming". I guess for 99% of online gamers, 120Hz and 144hz anyway is perfectly fine. I am currently online gaming with a 42-inch 4K@60Hz monitor, frame rate at max settings well above 120 fps, and I feel "sufficiently" competitive. :D

16. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

4k 60hz @ 120fps is just 60fps with slightly lower input lag. Your game would improve a fair amount going to 1440 @ 144hz :)

17. dzajroo

dzajroo Member

Yes very happy and yes its AUD $944, bargain for that price if you ask me. slight upgrade from PG279. solid built quality, so far absolutely no issues, no dead pixels.

CX is a great TV yes (65" about to be mounted soon). monitor, I rather game on proper monitor not on TV. As "couch" gaming yes, but not as replacement for Primary Monitor on my desk.

same sufficiency as 3090 in 8K gaming ? :D

• all details lowest settings, max frames, minimum 120hz, nothing above 27" and 1440p for sufficient competitive gaming :)
    • AW3821DW would be my choice over CX as primary panel too....but definitely not for sufficient competitive gaming :p hence I went with AW2721D
    • at the end of the day, anyone buying anything over 32" will most likely have "competitive online gaming" very low on the list of important things anyway
    • big whisky session last night and replying on forum are not going well together

18. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

But not visually. I'm not gaming for fps. ;) At 1440@60Hz, I get up to 450 fps, but it looks miserable, like something from the 1990s, even with max settings. 4K@120 or better 144 would be the ideal setting for me. But as the saying goes, "Each to its Own".

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  19. Dunska

Dunska Member

I'm very happy with my AW3821DW. After that initial "turn it off and back on again" issue, it has worked fine ever since. Now playing around with HDR. In most games it looks awesome, but in AC Valhalla it looks worse on than off. Currently using the Standard Preset with Smart HDR on, Super Fast Response Time and Level 2 Dark Stabiliser. Loving G-Sync with high and variable refresh rate. I enabled G-Sync and turned VSYNC on in the NVIDIA Control Panel - seemed counter intuitive, but VSYNC on with G-Sync allows VRR below max refresh, but caps FPS at the max refresh, which is what I wanted as some strategy games, etc. were getting 500+ FPS and pushing the GPU to 100% when not really needed. I also enabled G-Sync in Windowed and Full Screen mode as some games did not have a full screen option (or they did but it still seemed to be borderless full screen and were not working with G-Sync).

One issue I am having is that I can no longer enter BIOS configuration of my ASUS X570 mobo. I don't see any BIOS boot screen or Windows loading screen - just blank for a few seconds before I get the Windows logon screen. Mashing Del or F2 during boot does not work - even selecting the Windows option to reboot to UEFI configuration does not work. I've read that this is a common issue with high resolution/refresh monitors via DP where UEFI does not support the resolution, so I might try connecting via HDMI as a test or even connecting an old monitor to test. Apart from that, all good.

chainbolt likes this.
  20. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Yeah so long as your happy. But higher refresh rates will make you more competitive.

4k 144hz is nice and all but getting 144fps at 4k in most games is damn hard.. Even with a 3090. That's why 1440 is so popular especially at 27/32" the clarity differences aren't overly noticeable in shooters during action but at 4k you get half the fps.

chainbolt likes this.