1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Dell Monitors: AW2521H, AW2721D, AW3821DW

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by macktheknife, Nov 20, 2020.

1. OP
    OP
    macktheknife

macktheknife Member

You could always get a X38 Predator instead for $2700.

2. Sp1rit

Sp1rit New Member

Have the AW2721D after upgrading from the AW2521HFL. It is BRIGHT

3. frankle

frankle Member

I’m not complaining about value, even at 25% off it’s good value … but I’d still rather the extra 5% in my pocket to start saving for my next upgrade.

And the 3090 is good value for the price I paid, especially with the highway robbery going on in the market today.

4. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Weird - mine doesn't do that. Which connection are you using?

5. Dunska

Dunska Member

Display Port, although I have tried with HDMI also. Might be UEFI related. My older Dell 34" widescreen monitor did not have the issue.

6. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

Odd that it would only crop up with the new monitor. Mine works just fine.

In my experience, no image until Windows boots is usually one of 2 things:

1. The UEFI setting for the default init display adapter. This often defaults to 'default' which tries to use an iGPU (even in cases where you don't have one like your 3900x). Make sure this is set to PCIE.
    2. The port your DP/HDMI is plugged into on your GPU. Some GPUs are funny and only power on a single port until their drivers are loaded in Windows. In my experience it seems to often be the 'middle' one, but may want to try them one by one to see if it's that.

Dunska likes this.
  7. Dunska

Dunska Member

Thanks mate - appreciate the advice. I did try moving between DP ports on the GPU (and also HDMI), but I can't recall seeing the init disply setting in the BIOS. Might be a combination of both. Strange that it works fine when I plug in another monitor though (same DP port). I just assumed the UEFI BIOS on my mobo could not handle the resolution. Maybe if I enabled CSM for UEFI "compatability" mode... that is lower res on BIOS screens... but that impacts other tweaked settings. When the next BIOS comes out of beta I'll have another crack at it.

8. groovetek

groovetek Member

I should point out, AW3821DW has some serious problems with signals under 60Hz. I hooked up an older DP cable once, this dropped to 30Hz, and resulted in the screen blacking out, and when it came back, it was constantly flickering (strobing backlight).

Even after swapping my new DP cable back, turning off/on, no matter what refresh rate I ran, it was still strobing. I assumed the monitor happened to fail.

Then reading online, I saw someone else experience this, and they had to unplug the power and leave it off for half an hour or something. At first that didn't work for me, but when I left it longer (maybe closer to an hour), it worked.

So try another DP cable first, try HDMI, etc. and see what happens.

Dunska likes this.
  9. Annihilator69

Annihilator69 Member

6 Months in and no regrets.
    Colours are amazing.
    Only thing that could improve is local diming as it's essentially useless with the zones being so large.
    No more upgrades for me until 38" OLEDS.

10. Dunska

Dunska Member

Yeah - I had an issue the 2nd morning I had the monitor where it would not display anything. I unplugged it for 10 mins and turned it on again and got the initial setup prompt for language. After that it was fine.
    I have tried other DP cables and HDMI, as well as other DP/HDMI ports in my GPU, but still no display in BIOS. Very strange. Another monitor in the same DP port/cable works fine for BIOS... so I just keep a spare 1080p monitor around for BIOS upgrades/settings. When my next BIOS upgrade comes out of beta I'll have another poke around in BIOS and maybe try CSM mode enabled as a test.

11. groovetek

groovetek Member

Agree, however, the local dimming algorithm also sucks too and I keep wishing they improve it in a firmware update or something. I.e. it's practically vertically based only. So if you have something displaying on say the far right, halfway up the screen, the bottom and top right hand zones are illuminated for some stoopid reason.

12. Dunska

Dunska Member

Ok, I've solved my "no display in BIOS" issue. Turns out it is a known issue with firmware on older NVIDIA GPUs (e.g. 1080Ti like mine). There is an NVIDIA tool to detect if the GPU firmware needs patching for compatability with DP 1.2/1.3 displays. Mine said an update was needed and after updating, it worked fine in BIOS :thumbup:
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/

From the website:

macktheknife and Gibbon like this.
  13. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

^^ good one :thumbup:

Dunska likes this.
  14. OJR

OJR Member

Anyone using one of these screens with a Radeon 6000 series GPU? I have a AW3821DW and thinking of grabbing a 6900XT. There are mixed reports of adaptive synch compatibility.

15. demowhc

demowhc Member

Mine developed a stuck pixel (red). Phoned Dell and they had a replacement delivered within 3 days. Great service.

Gibbon and OJR like this.
  16. OJR

OJR Member

Yep Dell’s after sales support is impeccable.

17. jekel

jekel Member

So tempted to get the AW3821DW, on sale via ebay currently $1499, plus use Shopback for giftcards would get it down a bit more.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/324392438773

Just worried I may regret it. Previously I've had 24, 27 and 30 inch monitors. When I had a small desk I didn't love the 30 that much and sold it went back to 27. I felt I had to turn my head to much but now with a larger desk am wondering if I would like 38. Currently using an Asus PG279Q which in all honesty is amazing and no real reason to upgrade.

I am just tempted because above is on sale and hopefully my 3080TI turns up next few weeks so thought would be more fun to run that on this huge screen.

For those that have the AW3821DW do you feel you have to move your head a lot for gaming/work? No issues and you just love the massive screen?

Yeh when I've had Dell monitors in the past their warranty was next level. I remember buying a 27inch model and was unlucky it developed a display issue in the first week and 2 replacements (refurbished repairs but looked new...) came quick and both had similar issues after a short time. Talk about unlucky, 4th monitor I got they gave me a brand new one no issues. Swapped a guy for the 30 and cash adjustment and regretted it as too big for desk I had lol...

18. OP
    OP
    macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Pretty much the only issue I have with my 38" is when games stick UI elements in the bottom corner.

19. OJR

OJR Member

You will definitely have to turn your head to look from side of the screen to the other. It’s a big screen.

20. raincloudx

raincloudx Member

Yeah Dell are pretty good with that, I've got a 3 month old Acer XB323U that developed a stuck pixel but it has to go back for repairs :/