1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Dell Multi-Client Monitor | P4317Q | 43" 4K beast

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by meDZ, May 21, 2016.

1. meDZ

meDZ Member

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  2. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

That monitor's insane!

Is it 4x 1920x1080 panels arranged in a quartet or is it a single 3840x2160 monitor with some firmware in it which allows it to take 4 separate inputs?

3. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Look sensational for anyone wanting to step up from (or simply pass over) ,the Phillips 4065UC. No G-Sync, and only 60Hz @ 4K, so it's not exactly a gaming monitor. But for photography, video, and technical applications it looks fantastic.

4. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

I love the idea of it, but I'm not sold on 4k being that much more 'productive' than 1440p.

On a 2560x1440 I basically use 2 x 1280x1440 windows ( plus my laptop underneath )

For what I'm doing I need about 1000px wide per window, but I also need them automatically split. With my current 2560x1440 I can use 50% horiz. space per window and windows will keep that split nice.

With 3840x2160 I don't know I'd be able to manage many more windows effectively without something fancy for snap locations etc.

Anyone use a 4k for multi-tasking like a boss? I'm talking 2 browser windows, text editor + more etc. not just a big window of LR or something.

5. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Now this is tempting. Although I do like my 3x 30" which is still more work area than a 4k monitor, but single LCD is easier to drive and less compatibility issues....

6. FarQ

FarQ Member

meh, not UltraSharp... lol

Looks similar in specs to the 43" Philips one

7. frankle

frankle Member

Hmmm ... No longer on the Dell AU site but it's still on the US site ...

Any ideas?

8. Luke212

Luke212 Member

honestly productivity aint that linked to monitor size etc.

i used to use 3 monitors when i started out, and now i just use one little 1336x768 most of the time. funny how we change and mature.

9. Velicoma

Velicoma Member

Depends what you're doing.

Single laptop monitor for some tasks is alright, but it's a huge work limitation for me.

10. Luke212

Luke212 Member

maybe. but im a little skeptical :p

11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Wow, how dare they after I made a commitment with the 40" Philips!

Damn nice though :thumbup: Maybe I'm tempted....hmmmm

12. {V|PER}

{V|PER} Member

So you went the 40" in the end, very nice. Im still mulling it over.

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I stand by my choice, it's a beautiful monitor....but this Dell 43" really has me thinking : (

14. Xassius

Xassius Member

When will this monitor be available in Australia??

15. ExcessionOz

ExcessionOz Member

I got a quote today, had to use Dell's Chat line, but they sent me a quote for $1749 shipped, including GST.

This monitor is $US1100 on Amazon, about $AU1500, and GST is another $150, so $1650 for grey import, $1749 from Dell with full 'dead pixel, no problem' warranty (which is very important to me).

The monitor isn't on Dell's Australian site, but the US site has specs. Mixed reaction over at Hardforum's thread, but some users are over the moon.

As an upgrade to my 4k@30Hz 39" Seiki this looks amazing, if expensive.

16. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

Just get the Philips 43" monitor locally for half the price mate :thumbup:

17. ExcessionOz

ExcessionOz Member

Obviously you like yours :).

I think I wasn't clear, this was Dell Australia sending me the quote.

What I like about the Dell, even though its about $700 dearer than the Philips (best Australian price I see for the Philips 43" is Umart at $999), it is designed to show four different inputs, seamlessly, simultaneously.

I envisage connecting the Displayport 4K @ 60Hz, and a HDMI @ 1920 * 1080, from the same video card, to the same monitor, and have Windows multimonitor using AMD's Eyefinity, and being able to have a 4K environment with many windows/browsers/email client/whatever, and a 1920 * 1080 Gaming screen which I can bring to the front seamlessly, and play my games (Factorio, BF4, Diablo 3, Elite Dangerous ... actually Elite Dangerous in 4K @ 60Hz might be a goer, because on the Seiki at 30Hz it's not very good).

I'm primarily a gamer, and whilst I'm very happy with 1080P gaming on my Seiki, I can imagine myself being more impressed with a better choice of windowed environment hot-swappable without fuss; the number of times I want to look at a web page whilst playing Factorio, it's incredible how a factory design will look 'easy' and as soon as I go into the game, I can't remember a single thing about the design I just looked at! Pause, Switch Windows, look at design in browser, switch back to full screen factorio, instantly forget design, lather, rinse, repeat.

I've been impressed with Dell products i've bought in the last decade. They offer a full 'dead pixel' return policy, 14 days no questions asked return policy, and it should last me at least 10 years. There is always something cheaper out there. The Seiki was quite cheap when I got it via Amazon (first 4K monitor that wasn't $4k!), but the 30Hz I thought I could live with is crippling.

I've looked at the Philips, watched video of it being unboxed, read stuff on Hardforum about it, and people are generally pleased, and people are generally very pleased with the 'expensive' Dell. <shrug>.

There are people spending 2K+ on the Asus Curved Screen PG348Q B/S. My video card being AMD doesn't fit the monitor's 'features'. The 43" Dell looks like it's going to satisfy my needs for the forseeable future.

What I really want is for people who HAVE one, to tell me how they are finding it, especially for gaming.

I don't mind being informed of choices (thanks, by the way), but its pretty hypocritical when 'enthusiasts' spend 2K on a smaller monitor, that their bright little eyes can perceive, whilst us old guys are struggling to pick out details. (yeah, 4K resolution is overkill for my needs, but the beauty of having it, is screen swapping ability AND beautiful gaming!)

Speak up if you have a Dell 43".

18. mtma

mtma Member

The Philips was designed to do this too.

19. xplod140

xplod140 Member

Honestly why bother with 4 physical inputs when you could just use RDP?

20. ysu

ysu Member

I use the Philips 43" and it's fantastic for work. code in one window (full height) then browser to the right (2 of them slight overlaps here) document(s) open on the top/mid left, file manger & sftp on the bottom left. There are ovelaps but everything is easily selectable, and I can quickly have 3 windows visible next to each other fully visible when I need to.

It's not the pixel amount, it's the screen real estate that works well for me (the 43"). And when they bring out one that's even wider, I'll probably upgrade again :)

On the other hand, my business partner can't get used to the 40" I gave him when I've upgraded. But he just needs one or two windows at a time, writing a doco or testing something...that does not warrant a huge screen and he says his head needs to swivel to look left/right and he finds that weird and uncomfortable.

But also; playing doom on the 43" 4k is something else, again :D