1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Dell Offering Cheap Wireless-N Router..Linksys WRT610N for $20.90

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Nov 7, 2009.

1. impact_player

impact_player Member

It's probably an argument that would revolve around proving that you (the customer) was not mislead because you knew it was an error. All the same, it becomes a fight over facts. At $20 I don't think it's at all clear cut that it's an error. Maybe at $1 it would be. Remember as well that includes likely to mislead, which isn't the same as proving that you were misled. And misleading conduct isn't the same as deceptive conduct. It's a pretty wide section, which is why it's probably one of the most litigated section of legislation.

Have a look at Parkdale Custom Furniture v Puxu in the HC if you're interested, one of the first significant cases on this area. Lockhart J in the FC made some fairly strong statements in later cases that would cite that which should be fairly easy to find.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  2. PHAT_pudding

PHAT_pudding Member

my understanding is that consideration (price that the goods are given for) is consideration. as long as the consideration is there ($1 or $20, or $200) and both parties accept the offer, then theres a contract. if you've been charged, it means they've accepted your offer of $20.90. the price they had on the site is classed as an initiation to treat only. they still have to agree to that price by completing the transaction and charging you (which they haven't done to me :()

i think theres also something called bait advertising, which is pretty similar to what this sounds like, where the price is lower than what they intend to accept, to draw in customers to look at their products.

i just want my router :( although after reading some reviews it doesn't really sound all that good! oh wait its $20, wtf am i talking about! haha

3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Last time we had one of these things I was offered the item at full price later in an email. Make of that what you will.

4. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

Did you reply with a comment about how your a 50,000+ post veteran on OCAU, and that paying full price would be an insult? :p

5. stergiopilus

stergiopilus Member

Just got an e-mail from dell (was gonna pay by CC).

6. dean_is_not

dean_is_not Member

I just got the same one :( I wonder what happens with the people who paid with direct deposit now?

7. #relativistic

#relativistic Member

bah just got the email as well. oh well, didnt really expect them to go through with the deal anyway :p

8. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

can't complain really :)

9. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

Lawyers, go!

Meh, no harm no foul.

10. Jon187

Jon187 Member

I got the same for the CC order I made but I didn't get one for the order I placed and paid with by DD about 2-minutes after the CC order was placed.

Maybe there is a difference between CC and DD after all.

Hmmm.......

11. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

cant beleive people would expect dell to honor a mistake.

12. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

I just got contacted by Marty from Dell, who sent me this statement:

13. tommytill

tommytill Member

Oh well.. Same here.

14. tommytill

tommytill Member

No Dell won't, seems Officeworks will on behalf of Dell though huh..!

Win of the week for that person.

15. Jon187

Jon187 Member

Not that it's any comparison but don't dealextreme.com sell wireless N routers for like $35USD shipped?

Would anyone actually pay almost $300 for the one on the Dell site?

J

16. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

$229 shipped is actually a very good price for the WRT610N, $19 cheaper than the cheapest on staticICE (then you've got to factor in shipping too).

Despite the TPA provisions (wrongly?) quoted in this thread, companies are allowed to make genuine mistakes.

Worth a try though I suppose... :lol:

17. HeXa

HeXa Member

heh... I didn't expect to get it for the $20.90 price... but still ordered to take advantage of the discounted apology price :D

18. Jon187

Jon187 Member

Genuine mistakes? Do company's that big and that regulated make "genuine" mistakes or was this a flash-mob style marketing ploy?

Would HeXa have bought from Dell had they not had this "genuine" mistake?

Me thinks not.

Things that make you say "Hmmm..."

19. Bublik

Bublik Member

Paid By DD in person at a NAB branch, so they don't have my account number/s. Still waiting on the confirmation email. I had to email them a copy of the pay slip, done that yesterday avo. i wonder how they will "refund" me the money if they don't honor it, store credit, are they even allowed to do that?

20. HeXa

HeXa Member

money order? cheque?

Jon187 - was thinking the same thing over dinner